Club Arnage
September 29, 2024, 12:18:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nigel Mansell Return  (Read 10343 times)
IanS
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2009, 07:11:35 pm »

Just picked up on Mansells return at Silverstone!

http://www.planetlemans.com/2009/08/19/nigel-mansell-races-ginetta-zytek-at-silverstone/
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 10:47:30 pm »

Oh dear........

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:54:18 pm »

well now I'm actually looking forward to this meeting....Mansell was my childhood hero - one last rendevous with Silverstone is good news in my view - it's also likely to add some exposure to the event and boost the atmosphere..... good stuff!

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 06:01:22 pm »

Hope he fits in the car this time Wink
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 07:19:57 pm »

His ass or his ego?  He'll end up stuffing the car and blaming everyone within eyesight, except himself of course.  He and Senna are probably the two biggest w**k*rs to ever sit in a racing car.
Fax
Robbo
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

"ANTHEM"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 09:18:46 pm »

Oh dear, our clueless american friend has raised his head again.............

Mansell & Senna were the greatest drivers of their era, period!
I'd gladly put the top ten of our drivers up against the top ten americans!!!
Much the same as today, can't wait to see what drivers USGPF1 etc put together!!!
F&ck me, you even think that Patrick women is a driver!!

Mansell in an LMP1, alright by me!!!
Enough to make me go if I wasn't travelling back from holiday!!

Pessimist - Glass half empty
Optimist - Glass half full
Engineer - Glass twice as big as needed
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 11:40:01 pm »

Oh dear, our clueless american friend has raised his head again.............

Mansell & Senna were the greatest drivers of their era, period!
I'd gladly put the top ten of our drivers up against the top ten americans!!!
Much the same as today, can't wait to see what drivers USGPF1 etc put together!!!
F&ck me, you even think that Patrick women is a driver!!

Mansell in an LMP1, alright by me!!!
Enough to make me go if I wasn't travelling back from holiday!!

Robbo the first rule of exams is to read the question properly!  Smiley

Fax has never said they weren't both talented drivers. Just that they were "jerkoffs" the way they conducted themselves. Even Fax would concede Nige could properly wheel a Williams. You have to admit he's the architypal whinging Brummy. And I say that as both a Brummy and a Mansell fan. Senna was in a different league though.

Fax has never been one to go on about top US racing talent, except for his beloved Mario, and I think he also stated that Danika was a "talentless bimbo". Not that that has anything to do with the subject of Mansell anyway, heedless of his bad attitude and fat arse, US drivers are otiose to this subject.

Just for the record I happen to totally agree with him about Senna, the man was a first class sh*t. I cheered when he hit that wall. Obviously I never wanted him dead, but I have to say I was pretty emotionless when I found out he'd died. I really hated him and his disgraceful tactics sullied the sport. Thank God he can't make a comeback.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:44:37 am by Andy Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 12:23:34 am »

Putting this into perspective a little - I also cheered when Senna hit the wall - no I didn't want him dead, but his ruthlessness bordered on cheating on occassion, and such was the ferocity of the rivalry between him and Senna, and his uncanny ability to get everything right, that every time Senna made a mistake it was cause for celebration.  That said, it cannot be denied that the guy was incredibly talented - the main tragedy of Imola 94 was that it denied us of straight fights for a couple of years between Schumacher and Senna. 

Mansell you don't have to like as a person - but as a driver, the guy NEVER gave in - you can't help but admire that - he might have been a whinger, but I can't help but think he had good reason - Ferrari always have always, and continue to have, their number 1 driver, and the other guy.

As for Dannika being "talentless" - I beg to differ - I see two talents that I wouldn't mind racing round....... Smiley

See you at a gig soon?
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 03:39:57 am »

His ass or his ego?  He'll end up stuffing the car and blaming everyone within eyesight, except himself of course.  He and Senna are probably the two biggest w**k*rs to ever sit in a racing car.
Fax
Come on Fax tell us what you really think of him Grin Grin
Phil
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 07:02:29 am »

Dear Robbo,
Hmm, as Andy said, you should keep this in context.  I wasn't refering to Mansell the driver, but Mansell the man.  Or should I say, Mansell's inability to be a man.  The guy obviously had talent, and was utterly fearless in most racing circumstances.  However, he was also cursed with a completely obnoxious, whining, self absorbed with his ego, character.
The guy was completely incapable of admitting fault for anything, but god-forbid the car failed he would shout to the heavans what a sh*tbox he was driving and what a bunch of clods his team was.  I never understood this entire  "Mansell, driver for the British people" concept.  Largely because it was fabricted by that equally obnoxious ex-manager of his Peter Windsor.  This spectacle never reared its ugly head until Windsor, at Mansell's request became team manager at Williams.  Hell, when he was at Lotus, he was largely thought of as the pissing & moaning jerk he actually was.  As for DP, f**k yes she's a talentless bimbo!  I've been preaching this for years.
Regarding the best of yours vs ours?  Its a petty argument for starters, however its pretty simple, for the most part, our best, with a few acceptions have tended to ply their trade here at home (North America), while yours, with a few acceptions, have tended to...Err, ply their trade at home (ie, England and Europe).  With all due respect, I would match Frank Lockhart against Richard Seaman, Jimmy Bryan vs Stirling Moss, Dan Gurney vs Jimmy Clark (read what Clark's father said to Dan Gurney at Clark's funeral), and Jeff Gordon against JB or Lewis anyday.  If you don't recognize any of those names, you've got no business even being in this conversation.
Fax
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:04:09 am by Fax MKII » Logged
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 11:28:42 am »

Pretty well everything Fax said.
Brad, commiserations mate on having a childhood hero who's a complete w**k*r...
I remember many times sitting bemused in the easy chair watching Mansell, Senna and Prost in the post race interview looking like they'd just received news of a bereavement when in fact they'd just climbed down from the winners rostrum of an F1 race. WTF is going on there? Sadly, this seemed to set a trend, and some of the drivers still look pissed off when asked about how they won this one. Blimey, I'd give away my *rsehole and sh1t through my winkle to sit in one of those seats! That time Mansell 'staggered' out of the car at Monaco even embarrassed my dog. (There were many other times that I sat bemused in the easy chair embarrassing my dog mind, sometimes with a chinese running down my shirt, and I'm sure you're all with me on that.)
In Sennas defence, I had a good mate who worked at MacLaren, and who reported that Senna was really quite a nice bloke, although very very shy. He'd almost crap himself when he saw a microphone or camera. I can't believe for a moment that Mansell is anything other than a prat, - just look at the first quote on that link, he wastes no time in mentioning his great wins there. You wouldn't get Bobby Charlton steaming in reminding us about his World Cup medal. Humility, or a touch of modesty doesn't sit well with Our Nige.
I'd rather see Norman Hunter make a comeback in the local Under 11's five a side.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
mal
CA Veteran

We are the Flying Baguettes!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 03:00:48 pm »

Of course at Silverstone we will see the names Mansell Senna and Prost on the racetrack once again at the same time
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 06:00:14 pm »

I'd rather see Norman Hunter make a comeback in the local Under 11's five a side.
H

Now you really are talking, don't forget Reaney and Cooper...

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 06:56:56 pm »

Pretty well everything Fax said.
Brad, commiserations mate on having a childhood hero who's a complete w**k*r...

Probably worth remembering that through the eyes of a child all I ever saw was a helmeted racing driver, sat in a car - life is simplistic at that age - you don't care about personalities, and whinging and blame and things like that - all you care about is if your man is going to win or not. 

Mansell retired from F1 in 1992 (then made a brief return) - By which point I was 11 years old - still only just starting to appreciate human nature - so for me, my view of Mansell was simply the racer for the people - and that role he performed just right. 

See you at a gig soon?
Bentley boy
CA Veteran

A quoi bon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 09:02:58 pm »

I must admit when I watched Senna (and Johnny Dumfries) Drive the JPS Lotus at Brands in 86 I was a fan straight away.
Somehow I managed to ignore his shortcomings after that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: