Club Arnage
June 30, 2024, 12:01:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CA v Facebook  (Read 20730 times)
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 08:21:07 pm »

Not surprisingly it's people who have never used facebook who seem to think it's sh*t. You're entitled to your opinions.

Steve, you must be very lucky that all of your friends live within drinking distance. My friends are currently spread from Scotland to Brazil and without facebook I probably wouldn't speak to some of them for years at a time. Okay I do have local mates (funnily enough none of whom use facebook  Grin ) who I use the dog and bone for and, forgive me for my sins, occasionally have a pint with.

You know how it is when you bump into someone you haven't seen for ages? Feels good right? (Assuming you actually like them!) Well facebook is like that all the time. Someone may be quiet for ages and then suddenly pop up to announce they've done something interesting. I've made contact with loads of people I thought I would never see again (including old school girlfriends  Kiss ) and, personally, I can't see anything wrong with that. There's a big difference between living your life in cyber space and just using it to stay in touch with people. It's also a far better way to get to know people personally than using a forum as people are generally more guarded about themselves.

Perhaps that's the problem with CA now. In the past you could properly get into a slanging match with someone because you didn't know them from Adam. Trouble is, everyone knows everyone else now, and, for the most part, we actually seem to get along. Ironic really that what started out as an internet site for complete strangers with a common interest has now degenerated into extended circles of real life friends  Evil

Twitter, on the other hand, would appear to be a large bundle of shite. Can't be bothered with that.

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2009, 09:27:14 pm »

Well mate I think well have to both agree and disagree!
I think I'm just a bit of a grumpy old git and a luddite to boot. I still think carrier pigeons are a pretty neat idea!!
Oh, I don't know - I just seem to rail against "progress". For instance Le Village at Le Mans irritates me as it's so bland and corporate. Diesels at Le Mans irritate me. Toss pots on stag weekends at Le Mans irritate me. People on trains talking loudly on mobile phones, people driving in the middle lane, Radio 1, Sky TV, computers, call centres, British Telecom, Gas companies selling electricity, Electricity companies selling gas, health and safety nazis, bad manners, poor diction, poor spelling, texting, bad use of the English language, and teenagers. These all irritate me to death. You lot may all laugh at me but I spend my life being irritated by just about everything.
Apparently I'm very difficult to live with.
Can you believe that?

Can we please go back to civility, decent manners, Le Village full of either dust or mud, Group C cars, etc etc.

Sorry folks, I just don't like what's happening and I'm going to get a beer to make me feel better.

Steve

I tested negative for patience.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2009, 10:07:59 pm »

Live and let live - I like the forum because I can log on when I want, choose what I want to look at, not feel guilty about missing stuff or not replying unless it is a question asked of me etc etc. 

Plus a whole raft of other reasons why it doesn't suit to be on Facebook.  So for those on Facebook, don't forget the forum.....

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2009, 04:32:15 am »

Live and let live - I like the forum because I can log on when I want, choose what I want to look at, not feel guilty about missing stuff or not replying unless it is a question asked of me etc etc. 

Plus a whole raft of other reasons why it doesn't suit to be on Facebook.  So for those on Facebook, don't forget the forum.....

MG Mark

Ditto to what Mark said. Keep posting Steve you may be a Luddite but i don't think you are a grompy old git...yet Grin
Phil
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2009, 11:08:23 am »

Not surprisingly it's people who have never used facebook who seem to think it's sh*t. You're entitled to your opinions.

Steve, you must be very lucky that all of your friends live within drinking distance. My friends are currently spread from Scotland to Brazil and without facebook I probably wouldn't speak to some of them for years at a time. Okay I do have local mates (funnily enough none of whom use facebook  Grin ) who I use the dog and bone for and, forgive me for my sins, occasionally have a pint with.

You know how it is when you bump into someone you haven't seen for ages? Feels good right? (Assuming you actually like them!) Well facebook is like that all the time. Someone may be quiet for ages and then suddenly pop up to announce they've done something interesting. I've made contact with loads of people I thought I would never see again (including old school girlfriends  Kiss ) and, personally, I can't see anything wrong with that. There's a big difference between living your life in cyber space and just using it to stay in touch with people. It's also a far better way to get to know people personally than using a forum as people are generally more guarded about themselves.

Perhaps that's the problem with CA now. In the past you could properly get into a slanging match with someone because you didn't know them from Adam. Trouble is, everyone knows everyone else now, and, for the most part, we actually seem to get along. Ironic really that what started out as an internet site for complete strangers with a common interest has now degenerated into extended circles of real life friends  Evil

Twitter, on the other hand, would appear to be a large bundle of sh*te. Can't be bothered with that.

I have to agree with pretty much all of that Rob.

Back in the old days of CA, and I'm talking nearly ten years ago, it was a place where a bunch of LM regulars could go during the winter months and talk horseshit and tell lies to each other about what they'd got up to during previous years. None of us had ever met, I attended the first CA meet at the poo bar and nobody was there so far as I could tell! I honestly imagined that BigH was a fat bearded geography teacher and Smokie was some sort of glorified Hells Angel.

Now that we've all met and worryingly made friends, so much of what CA was about has naturally died off and become something more important. I suppose it's eaten itself.

I have no problem with Facebook, it's a useful tool even though I agree it seems a waste of wonderful technology for people to use it to tell the world they've been to the lavatory.

Twatter (or should I say Twater) on the other hand is for purely venal c**ts.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2009, 03:37:21 pm »

I honestly imagined that BigH was a fat bearded geography teacher

Fat, and bearded, I can handle.
But 'Geography teacher'!!
You vindictive b*astard.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2009, 08:47:01 pm »

You vindictive b*astard.
H

H,

I agree, that was quite uncalled for - I could have understood it if he had said "biology teacher"......

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2009, 12:04:01 am »

It's difficult enough for me (blimey, I am old you know!) working the right buttons to do CA

trying to work out Facethingy too would be a huge jump into the dark

Do you know how long I have been here not able to even do "add a picture"?

But it is kinda funny realising that I "know" these people that were names for so long, sort of all of a sudden

So

ferarguments sake is the Facethingy worth me worrying myself into new experiences?

or shall me and the dinosaurs just graze around here, quietly

(do you really have to say you're gooing to the bog on Facey?)

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2009, 01:50:34 am »

I agree with Doris - Wokingham meet in a few weeks time - Shall I publicise it on Facebook?? Wink

And Doris - How to we address you know that you've "outed yourself" on facebook??  Grin

Brad,  DON't mention it on facebook, you'll get 500 add oikes/numbheads creating a rumpus and wrecking things.

CA and Fb have thier own niche markets, both can work together as long as they remember thier 'roots'.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 02:55:55 am by Leftie » Logged

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2009, 10:24:48 am »

You vindictive b*astard.
H

That's more like it!!!  Grin
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2009, 01:34:38 pm »

Some people probably don't give a monkey about it, but I personally think it's also nice to get some updates from drivers like Ollie Gavin (video updates), Johnny O (new car updates), Martin Short (new series) and Michael Vergers. I've had some chats with the latter, and FB gives me that chance. I've never seen a driver here on CA - Shorty (used to be?) on tentenths, but that's about it...

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

To add speed, just add lightness.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2009, 09:15:51 am »

I still look in here on most days, and make comment when I can.

Looked at the other options and can't be bothered with them.

CA will always be my first site of choice for finding out LM info.

Le Mans is for the week......not just 24hrs!

When life throws you lemons, bring out the tequila!!

Vodka! Cheaper than Botox and paralyses more muscles!
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2009, 01:33:04 pm »

I like it here, It's warm and snug (perhaps that wasn't the intetion to start with). Although I have used facebook, it may only me but I find it very slow to load and people are sending me virtual thingies which I can't actually eat, sell or shag. What's the use in that? I also get invited to join right wing hit squads and the like.

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2009, 03:07:21 pm »

You vindictive b*astard.
H

I agree, that was quite uncalled for - I could have understood it if he had said "biology teacher"......

MG Mark

Hey gents, don't shoot the messenger... H you were the one I was imagining afterall, so how is it my fault?  A while back, whilst I was fast asleep, my (then) girlfriend slapped me in the face and told me to sleep in the spare room because she'd dreamt I'd been having an affair with Kerry Katona. I was surprised as I'd always professed my intense dislike at the hideous whining mono-nostrilled coke hoover (Katona that is, not the ex-gf who was very sweet but also a mentalist)

Anyway, you were a geog teacher in my mind's eye for some years, all terminal morraine, massive unkempt beard, a pipe full of St Bruno, and drunken field trips to Arthog where you'd be disciplined for taking the kiddies to the pub. I also pictured you at Le mans wearing a washed-out Rothmans Porsche rain cheater, and a pair of too-tight cotton sports shorts, the end of your todger just dangling out from the left-hand leg and winking at all and sundry.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

I have similar mental images of many of the old timers on here such as Powermite, Rusty and Canada Phil, just ask if anyone wishes to know more, all way off the reality.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2009, 03:08:32 pm »

I like it here, It's warm and snug (perhaps that wasn't the intetion to start with). Although I have used facebook, it may only me but I find it very slow to load and people are sending me virtual thingies which I can't actually eat, sell or shag. What's the use in that? I also get invited to join right wing hit squads and the like.

so you will be the bloke with the twentyfour lacehole Docs tomorrow evening then Gary

I'd know you anywhere!

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: