Club Arnage
September 23, 2024, 06:21:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Koenigsegg buys Saab  (Read 15778 times)
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 11:22:03 pm »

The only thing we can hope for is Spyker will develope a new kick azz 900 (with a lil' touch of a Spyder?) and dump the Government Motors' models asap. Saab's customers are pretty loyal, and all they want is stick to the odd models...

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24 • NBR LMS • Silverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 09:55:29 am »

Well a view of the takeover, by good' ol James.

From Sat Telegraph -

By James May

Saab's saviour
Who better to buy the troubled Swedish marque from General Motors than a small, wacky Dutch company?

The first proper and enduring girlfriend I ever had came into my world in the passenger seat of a Saab. It was a 99, white with a blue stripe down the side, and trimmed within with a velour that I'm forced to describe as ginger.

It was her father's and he loved it. This was the late Seventies, in the industrial north of England, when even driving a Mercedes-Benz whiffed faintly of treachery. Driving a Swedish car marked you down as a dangerous radical in need of careful monitoring.

I liked it, too, and so did Geoff Boycott if I'm remembering the ads correctly. It was a good looking car, with a quirky cabin and that nonsense with the ignition key. A year or two later, when we were old enough to drive, we were allowed to borrow it occasionally. But then she pranged it on a roundabout which, as usual, was somehow deemed to be my fault, and soon after that this particular avenue of youthful pleasure was closed to me.

I remember the Saab very clearly. There was something creative and artistic about a Saab that just wasn't there in the Austin Allegro. The father of another girl I liked had a Volvo 244, but that car merely gave automotive substance to his attitude towards my approaches to his daughter – square, edgy, overly concerned with safety. I rarely made it up the driveway, to be honest, because a Volvo just said no. The Saab father was more liberal. I've always liked a Saab.

Eventually, I had one, a 900, in the mid-Nineties, but by then we all knew a Saab was really a Vauxhall/Opel pro-forma with a space marked "insert curious Swedish bit here". The key still went in the wrong place and there were some funny buttons, but driving a Saab was not the wheeled act of defiance it once was. And now, thankfully, Saab has this week been rescued from the scrapheap onto which General Motors threatened to throw it by that wacky Dutch lot, Spyker.

I think the fate of Saab is indicative of what has happened to the art of the car in my lifetime. Once, an individualistic maker like Saab could go its own way and tempt the odd free-thinking father away from the convention of British Leyland and Ford. But then the pressures of legislation and the prohibitive cost of research and development forced them to seek mentors in the form of huge organisations such as GM. This would safeguard the future of smaller marques, and we said this of Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Jaguar and their ilk.

The downside is that when times are tough these marginal car makers are the obvious ones to cast aside, rather in the way that people give up the lobster thermidor rather than the Sunday roast during a recession.

But a part of me also thinks that the argument about research and development costs is nonsense. Yes, the amount of engineering required of a car to meet modern demands has grown enormously, but then modern technology has made, for example, the production of one-off components – "prototyping", to use the industry jargon – much easier. Small volumes, production flexibility and personalisation are the vogue these days, so really the time is right for small car makers, surely?

And here we are (at least at the time of writing) with Spyker and GM reaching a binding agreement over Saab. Spyker can hardly claim to be a big car-making concern. It employs fewer than 200 people and its yearly output equates to what Toyota manufactures every eight minutes or so.

I think this might be interesting. Other, massive car makers would consider Saab as a slightly left-field curiosity; something of an indulgence and a way of making themselves appear more interesting. GM owning Saab is really no different from my old girlfriend's father owning a Saab back in 1978. But to Spyker, Saab is a towering mainstream colossus. Spyker buying Saab is like the treasurer of a residents' association buying Barclays Bank.

But now fire up your internet and take a look at the Spyker C8. Do we really want the people who came up with that to be building a regular four-door saloon?

Yes please.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 06:49:35 pm »

Anyway, I hope Spyker make a go of it and get the whole thing moving.

Unlike Mr Z. I do not wish to see the downfall of what was once and could again be a great Marque, remember they did race at LM, and won, so should deserve some respect from CA members.

Sorry if I went on a bit...

>Martini...LB

PS When did they win LM? I never even knew they'd ever competed?

Hey Mart, you misunderstand me. There's nothing I'd like more to see both Spyker and SAAB flourish. It's just that sadly, based on the proposed set-up, I can't see it happening realistically, that's all.

I was stretching the truth a little as I thought they had won their class but they were actually 2nd in class and 12th overall... in 1959

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la sant้ , เ consommer avec mod้ration
goodduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 08:43:24 pm »

Great read from JMay. thanks

im currently somewhat involved with a Saab convertible chick

looking for 2 General Admission tickets for 2023 24H Le Mans race only but will buy anything available.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 09:04:59 pm »

I'd avoid convertible chicks if I were you... Shocked
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 09:06:40 pm »

I'd avoid convertible chicks if I were you... Shocked

I don't know, I have no problems on chicks going topless  Roll Eyes

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2010, 12:07:32 pm »

By James May

[...]

But now fire up your internet and take a look at the Spyker C8. Do we really want the people who came up with that to be building a regular four-door saloon?

Yes please.

What he says Roll Eyes Cool

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24 • NBR LMS • Silverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2011, 09:47:32 am »

Thank god Bernie didn't get them

Why?

It would have been hilarious to see Bernard lose $millions. You can imagine loads of potential buyers saying "I'm not having one of them if Saab's owned by that c**t!" They'd close within months...

...as opposed to the two years theyll survive with Spyker...  it's completely obvious the whole thing will come crashing down pretty quickly once the cash runs out. Spyker have no real internal resources or experience of this kind of thing, I just can't see what they bing to the party. Just like their F1 disaster, they've bitten off far more than they can possibly chew. No platforms, no plans, a poor current model line-up, the whole thing is Rover again. Sad but true.

Bye bye Saab.

The end game approaches...

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110406/COPY01/304069876/1265

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 02:31:26 pm »

Its Rover all over again (The old 900 always did remind me of a Vanden Plas Allegro, except I might be seen dead in one)

"Saab production remained shut down for a second day today after the company failed to pay some bills."

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
gt6

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 02:35:14 pm »

Well I can't see Saab surviving but what about koenigsegg and Spiker, all the money they got in loans from various eurobodies did not last very long, I expect they might have difficulty getting anyone else to stumpup more cash.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2011, 03:54:37 pm »

Well as long as the Saab directors have managed to lined their pockets like the Pheonix Four, then who cares? 

Yes, the whole enterprise was a total waste of time and money. I dare say we'll soon discover there won't be enough left over to pay the redundancy costs. Such a sad end to a once great company.  Angry

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
6 Euros - JD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2011, 05:40:48 pm »

Maybe it would help if they spoke Portuguese!

'Arnage gravel rash ......... a badge of honour'
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: