Club Arnage
September 29, 2024, 11:26:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Euros  (Read 22033 times)
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 05:19:42 pm »

I know we're funny foreigners, but we both get our pensions paid in Sterling. We have a Nationwide account - and if we use a cash machine over here to draw euros on it, we get the BANK rate applicable on that day and time. Not the tourist rate, not some funny number, but the rate quoted on the Foreign Exchange sites - and no charges, natch. Anyone with a Nationwide account might consider this as their cheapest option.

When we lived in Kent, Termie found the Post Office was the best way to get a dollop of euros at a good rate. That may or may not be true today. She generally had to give a day or two's notice - but the PO was very obliging.

I use the same Ian.

Just to warn you hough, they wrote rcentl to say that as Visa charge them for each transaction they are gong to start to pass that charge onto customers, which IIRC was 0.75%. By my reckoning that is still  better deal than exchanging.

It also means you have added security as you can just take out as little as you feel comfortable carrying!
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 05:20:54 pm »

1.0607 at the post office. 215 euros for £202.70  Angry Angry Angry

The PO used to quiet good, only knocking off 2 or 3 cents from the bank rate.
Now it's 6 or 7.  Greedy. No commission my ar*e.
After using them for about 15 years I have voted with my wallet and gone eslewhere.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 05:24:46 pm »

Just to warn you hough, they wrote rcentl to say that as Visa charge them for each transaction they are gong to start to pass that charge onto customers, which IIRC was 0.75%. By my reckoning that is still  better deal than exchanging.

If I remember correctly, they said that they were not going to charge it if you were drawing money in certain countries. All EEC countries being the important one for us.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 05:48:27 pm »

Just to warn you hough, they wrote rcentl to say that as Visa charge them for each transaction they are gong to start to pass that charge onto customers, which IIRC was 0.75%. By my reckoning that is still  better deal than exchanging.

If I remember correctly, they said that they were not going to charge it if you were drawing money in certain countries. All EEC countries being the important one for us.

I'll double check when  get home. Mrs Chenet is pretty efficient at filing that type of thing!
Topcatz

... cars ... mates ... BEER! - must be Le Mans ;-)

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 06:07:24 pm »

1.0607 at the post office. 215 euros for £202.70  Angry Angry Angry

The PO used to quiet good, only knocking off 2 or 3 cents from the bank rate.
Now it's 6 or 7.  Greedy. No commission my ar*e.
After using them for about 15 years I have voted with my wallet and gone eslewhere.

I believe the PO use two different exchange rates, one for over the counter sales and one for online sales, the online rate has been pretty competitive whenever I've checked, and if you order over £500 you get free next day delivery to home or nominated Post Office.

I ordered mine from PO online on 2nd June at 1.1231 €/£, and received it next day - no hassle, well happy Smiley

Notice today's online rate has dropped back to 1.0934, so happier still I did it when I did  Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: