Club Arnage
September 30, 2024, 03:19:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blaster Worm  (Read 18786 times)
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2003, 06:05:14 pm »

Help!! I have been hit by this bloody problem, as reported on the telly and news, and it has totally buggered my computer up as a result.

First of all I apparently got a virus warning when I went on line, so I shut down the machine. Then I got a cloth and some Dettox spray and thoroughly disinfected the tower, keyboard and scanner/printer. No germs left. Bingo!

But when I fired the machine back up Norton Antivirus told me that there was now a worm in the system. How did it get in there? The nearest garden is well away. So, out with the screwdriver and off with the back of the tower and a quick look with a torch, but no sign of the worm or indeed any droppings. I do not know what worms eat, or I would set a worm trap.

So thinking back to biology classes at school, I therefore tipped a bucket of soapy water into the tower, knowing full well that if the worm is in there, it will come to the surface to avoid drowning. I was blown across the room by a huge electric shock and lay on the floor dazed for about ten minutes.

Why-oh-why do these so call computer experts at HP and Symantec not put up warnings against these dangers? Or have I misunderstood the situation again?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 06:52:10 pm »

I opened up the side of my tower and brought one of my chickens in from the garden so that the old girl could have a scratch around for this supposed worm.
All she managed to do was pull out some CHIPS.  When I normally have a portion and cod on a Friday I always keep the paper well away from the PC.  How the hell did they get in there  Huh Huh

Steve East Anglian cobras

Pidgeon
CA Veteran

I'm a Sebringllama

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 06:21:33 pm »

How's about a real BLASTER WORM'?
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 08:21:50 pm »

OK, if you do want tech advice, here it is:

Before you connect, do this:
1. Click on Start
2. Click Run then type: services.msc
3. When the Services window opens up, scroll down the list to the first Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
4. Right-click on this and select Properties
5. Click on the Recovery tab
6. You will see the drop-down menus labelled First failure, Second failure and Subsequent failures. These will be set to 'Restart' as default.
7. Change each drop-down menu to 'Take No Action' then click Apply and OK.
8. Close the Services window

You may want to have a look in task manager (alt+ctrl+del) under processes and applications and 'end task' anything like 'blaster'.

Connect to the 'Net, downlaod the patch from Microsoft, update your antivirus and away you go.

Best of British....

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2003, 09:06:21 pm »

Just for info the address for the patch is:
 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bulletin/ms03-026.asp

No chickens here I'm afraid but hope this is helpful to someone  Wink.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2003, 09:07:06 pm by pretzel » Logged

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2003, 11:31:37 pm »

Note re Blaster - you can't get it if you are on Win95/98 or ME. Dreamracers the first person I've seen publish the info regarding changing Services properties, and personally I wouldn't touch that area unless all else had failed.

Let's hope no-one here got it. I am working with a major insurance company for the next month to secure their estate against it, they were hit on Wednesday. Not a cheap exercise for them.
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2003, 11:48:11 pm »

HI everybody

YES!!!!!! I have been "blasted",by this trojan thingy.....however thanks to Mr.Gates and Trend-pcillin supplyng patches to eradicate the invisible horse Tongue................I am now trojan,worm and any other virus free......yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: August 16, 2003, 11:48:52 pm by wishywashyman » Logged
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2003, 02:17:33 am »

Am very drunk.
Andy, the only info I can find that mey help ypu with this virus, is a solution from the McMohammed el Fayed anti virus handbook. It;s called the 'F*ck you upside Down Solution'
First, find the fuse box that supplies youer PC and take out the fuse, and replace with a nail, or pair of toe clippers. Mohammed isn't too clear as to whether you f*ck the pc upside down or, sh*t, hang on. You couold be upside  down, or maybe the PC, personally, I think that's the least of your problems, somehow you've got to get your old fella in there. Hang on to your eyeballs. In the days of DOS this was easy, I suspect you should try to locate a whiffy hotspot but not a 3" floppy. Sprinkle the whole show with talcum powder if in doubt. Hump like mad.
That should have got rid of the virus, or Mohammad's not my name. Now you've got to find the worm. If I remember my biology lessons at least very vagually, they're wriggly little b*stards. They also have a saddle so they can be ridden by very small cowboys. Therefore I reckon searching for the worms in the dark, you'll be able to hear the little f*ckers yahooing left, right and centre and see the moonlight glinting off the rhinestones.
Sneak then=m into your neighbours ears.
Oooh.

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2003, 10:07:56 am »

Haven't seen any worms in this neighbourhood Smiley  But my motherboard did fail last week.........I don't know what my Mummy has got to do with the infernal machine, but that's what the techie chap said Grin

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2003, 03:29:00 pm »

By a strange coincidence I too was jolly drunk last night at a fancy wedding, where I took the commer as quite a few people were camping in the carpark.

I awoke this morning with a total muthafakka of a hangover. And I could swear my ears were ringing with what sounded like a helicopter getting ever closer and closer. I was somewhat surprised to note that indeed some flash bastards were arriving for lunch in a chopper and that i had parked by the helipad. Not what one expects to see really. I showed him my white arse thru the windscreen. I am not sure why i mention all this  as it has little to do with worms. Except that it feels like there are a few blaster worms eating my brain this pm. A glass of orange and the cricket for me this pm i think.

I certainly do not have the energy to hump a compaq or any other leading brand of hardware. But I have to admit that i am always pleasantly surprised at the amazing variety of everyday household items that H advises us to stick our knobs into. I reckon it'll be a Moulinex masterchef next. That could sting a bit.

Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2003, 11:36:23 pm »

Hmmm... According to my  firewall logs I too got an  attempted  Blaster Attack.  However,  Since I  use Linux reather than the micro$hite I never  catch  these viruses or worms that are so prevelent on the Micro$hite  systems.   And guess what linux is Free.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2003, 11:23:11 am »

By a strange coincidence I too was jolly drunk last night .....

Hey Andy sorry to hear about your worm woes. My worm nearly got me into trouble the other night too.

By an even stranger coincidence I too was jolly drunk on Saturday night.

Spent a splendid day at Twickers where we had to drink Fuller's London Pride to help raise money for a player's charity, oh and watch some sevens rugger too. Carried on in Richmond where we shared a couple of further pints with Victor Ubugo and witnessed all manner of things floating in the Thames that shouldn't have been.

Anyway, I digress. Thankfully the necking of the final (14th we think) pint before the curry house rendered me virtually incomprehensible and worm inactive, and with almost total memory loss from this point, so even if my worm had misbehaved, I would have been able to completely deny it. And Steff, whatever it was I did/said that made you cry .. I apologise!!!

Haven't been that blasted since Le Mans in 1997!
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2003, 12:03:35 pm »

By a strange coincidence I too was jolly drunk last night .....

Spent a splendid day at Twickers where we had to drink Fuller's London Pride to help raise money for a player's charity, oh and watch some sevens rugger too. Carried on in Richmond where we shared a couple of further pints with Victor Ubugo and witnessed all manner of things floating in the Thames that shouldn't have been.

Rick, I like the use of the words "we had to drink". I presume you were marched screaming and kicking at gunpoint to the pub! And just what was floating in the Thames?

Middlesex sevens always used to be a blast but I havn't been for some years. Last time I went I ended up sleeping on the platform at Richmond railway station as the  bastards had cancelled the last train. Too cold, so ended up in the Seven Eleven eating microwave pizza and helping the staff put colour supplements in the sunday papers.

Pleased to report that Mrs Z has stamped my pass to go to the World Cup in Oz. Will see a couple of pool games and then hopefully the quarter final in Brisbane, probably against Wales.

Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2003, 12:15:21 pm »

London Pride were the title sponsors of the event and they were donating part of the proceeds from each pint of Pride to the PRA benevolent fund, so in the name of helping injured players, we forced ourselves to consume eight each while enjoying some fine play and amazingly Bath made it into the semis where we were truly outclassed by eventual winners, Saints. We gained a smidgeon of payback for the Powergen final by putting Wasps out in the first round.

Highlights of the day though were 1) a group of four chaps dressed as two pairs of 118 runners, complete with the full vest and shorts kit, bad wigs and moustaches. Seated just a way away from us all afternoon, we then couldn't seem to get rid of them in Richmond - top performance and 2) those pints shared with Victor - hope I wasn't too gushing with my "we're not worthy"s - oh dear!! I was shitfaced by then though!

We are deffo going again next year (wifey vouchers permitting) but have to say that I am totally envious of your World Cup trip!! Good work fella getting the Mrs. Z approval!!!  Grin

And good to hear the Commer made an appearance at the wedding - trust you got some interesting glances/comments?

Cheers!!

Rick

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2003, 12:50:40 pm »

Having gotten rid of the worms and viruses, I have now been told by our computer consultant there is a Trojan Horse in the machine. I simply cannot believe this. How can a horse, whether or not it is from Troy, get in there without detection? There are no hoof marks and I have not heard it whinny.

If I find it, should I try to f**k the horse upside down and risk arrest? Or call in the vet to have it shot?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: