Club Arnage
October 06, 2024, 09:20:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phil Hill 1927-2008  (Read 3615 times)
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2008, 12:01:54 am »

Word has reached me that Phil Hill, 1961 World Champion and multiple Le Mans winner has passed away due complications from Parkinson's disease.
A very great man has been lost...
Fax
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70116
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:07:32 am by Fax MKII » Logged
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 01:34:21 am »

RIP. Phil,

I had the pleasure of meeting Phil on a couple of occassions and he was a true gentleman.

He will be missed

Chris
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 08:53:01 am »

What a lovely guy he was. Went to Goodwood circuit before the 2002 festival of speed to see if there were any good cars around, seeing an old F1 Ferrari in the pits wandered over to see Phil Hill in his championship winning car having photos taken for a magazine. Just stood there taking in a great scene when Phil started to chat to me about Jenson Button! Spent a few minutes talking to him and went away with the great admiration for him. A lovely chap and a honour to have met him.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 09:01:21 am »

Like most other people, I too spoke to Hill at Goodwood, he seemed the type of guy who was a credit to the sport and unable to ignore people pestering him.

His life was long and full, and we can take comfort for that.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:58:52 am »

I recall wandering around the Le Mans Classic paddocks in 2004 around midnight and seeing Phil still chatting to anyone who took an interest in what he was driving that weekend.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 10:28:35 am »

Poor old Phil. I was there when he raced at Monza in the sixties, though I didn't see much as I was in my mummy's tummy at the time! But I do remember that his ferrari sounded fantastic!  Wink

What the hell's been going on this last few days?  Huh A colleague of my girlfriend took his own life at the weekend and an old friend of Pilot Andy (and who was due to come with our party to Goodwood Revival next month) died on monday of complications arising from pneumonia; he was only in his forties and leaves a two year old child. Please dear God let that be an end to it for the time being.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 05:28:27 pm »

What the hell's been going on this last few days?  Huh A colleague of my girlfriend took his own life at the weekend and an old friend of Pilot Andy (and who was due to come with our party to Goodwood Revival next month) died on monday of complications arising from pneumonia; he was only in his forties and leaves a two year old child. Please dear God let that be an end to it for the time being.

Makes you wonder, I have lost five friends in six weeks, varying ages from 39 - 71. Three went within a four day period!

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: