Club Arnage
October 02, 2024, 12:31:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paul Newman  (Read 6736 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:33:22 am »

http://69.28.73.165/forums/viewthread/308781/

This seems to have passed me by, but Paul Newman is reported to be very ill with cancer and not expect to live more than a few months at most.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 01:04:40 pm »

I think confirmation of the news has surfaced only recently, with rumours being around since the start of the year. 

Quite aside from his history in films and a lot of charitable work, he has been deeply involved in racing as both driver and team owner - whatever else he has done in that field, coming second at Le Mans with Dick Barbour and Rolf Stommeln in an IMSA spec Porsche 935 in 1979 is no mean feat at thge age of 54.   
And entered the Daytona 24hrs in 1995 at the age of 70, where he won the Daytona IMSA GTS class.  And then co-drove in the 2005 Daytona 24hrs with Sebastien Bourdais and Michael Brockman in a Ford Crawford at the age of 80....

Hits legend status in my book

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 02:57:32 pm »

A legend, and will be missed.  His philanthropic work and complete lack of the typical "look at me" attitude found in most celebs make him stand head and shoulders above the rest.

He took the time to speak with our little group of Champ Car fans more than once, actually stopping by our camp of his own free will just to say that he'd seen us at multiple races and to thank us for supporting the series.  I don't think you'd find too many team owners that would do something like that.  Two years ago when the beer mountain pictured at left was under construction, he stopped to say that if he were 20 years younger, he'd be there helping us.  Completely without affectation and a man's man.

Good luck, Paul.

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:15:17 pm »

During this weekends coverage of F1 from Valencia, Bob Varsha of Speed TV mentioned that Paul was at home surrounded by his family, and is very ill.  On a personal note, I had the great pleasure of sharing some conversation with PLN way back in 1982 over the Can-Am weekend at Mid-Ohio.  While he politely ignored all the people making fools of themselves to get the attention of Paul Newman the movie star, he was more than happy to sit & chat about the Nissan 300ZX that he set a new class lap record at Hallett the week before.
As Chop said, a man's man, and a devoted fan of motor racing.  One see's many a celebrity at motor races, mostly those there to seen and fawned over.  Not Paul Newman, he knows the sport intimately, and loves and respects the history of it.  His friendship with Mario Andretti dates way back to the mid sixties when Mario drove Paul's "Honker" in the Can-Am series.
Fax
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 10:46:38 am »

Mario drove Paul's "Honker" in the Can-Am series.

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 06:16:22 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7639614.stm

Paul Newman has sadly died.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 10:54:02 pm »

It seemed earlier that it was to come soon, and sadly it has.  But a good, long life, with a passion for motor racing to boot.  A good man, farewell. 

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 12:50:06 am »

Farewell to a great man and a superb ambassador for motor racing.
Godspeed PLN.
Fax
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 03:19:48 am »

What a great life. Films, Motorsport and making millions for charity.

Thankyou and rest in peace.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 08:37:17 am »

Well I guess it'll be old pal Hotchner chained to the stove alone from now on.

What a great guy, $200m raised for charity, action films, a happy family life, an Oscar, second at Le mans, owning a championship winning Indy team etc etc... Shoot, it don't get much better than that!

Fax might have more details, but am I right in thinking that PLN and Jay Haas though Nigel Mansell was a tosser?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 02:23:55 pm »

A great loss to the world and to motor racing!!

RIP Paul
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 12:39:29 am »

OMG!  Where am I going to get my salad dressings from now? 

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 02:13:41 am »

Doris, do not fear, I'm fairly certain they'll still be available.  The Mrs & I celebrated the life of PLN by sharing and good bottle of hooch, and watching Cool Hand Luke last night.
Andy, on the subject of Mansell, to be honest I never heard PLN express a opinion of Mansell one way or another, which in its own way may speak volumes, as he had nothing but admiration for his other drivers.
However, having spoken with several guys who worked at Newman/Haas when Mansell was there , to a man, if there is a degree of respect for Mansell the driver, there is universal contempt for Mansell the man.
Fax
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 06:33:39 am »

Thanks for everything, PLN.  Sad  Sad  Sad

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 06:38:19 am by jimclark » Logged

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
nickliv
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 10:51:53 am »

He was Mrs livs second favourite man. (Although I may have put a bit of spin on that Wink)

He did more in one life than most could manage in 5.

RIP, and paul, if you can hear me, well done.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: