Club Arnage
June 26, 2024, 05:09:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riems Old Grand Prix Circuit  (Read 18875 times)
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2003, 01:33:55 pm »

On the top of the general discussion board there is the track day thread. I wonder if it would be a good idea to organise a track day at Montlhery during the LM week next year. Lets say Tuesday or Wednesday. It's only 185 Kilometers from LM to Montlhery via L'autoroute, so not a big distance. And it could be the last chance to drive on that circuit in your life time. Additionally, it would probably help to convince the French government to keep the track alive. What do you think ? No, I'm not drunk. Cheesy

Absolutely impossible, I'm afraid. Access to the circuit is impossible outside the few sanctioned events. They don't do track days. You might as well ask the ACO for a track day on the full circuit at LM in July .....
Montlhery's problems lie with politics and finance within the French motor industry. They are complicated and unlikely to be resolved.
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2003, 02:58:17 pm »

On the top of the general discussion board there is the track day thread. I wonder if it would be a good idea to organise a track day at Montlhery during the LM week next year. Lets say Tuesday or Wednesday. It's only 185 Kilometers from LM to Montlhery via L'autoroute, so not a big distance. And it could be the last chance to drive on that circuit in your life time. Additionally, it would probably help to convince the French government to keep the track alive. What do you think ? No, I'm not drunk. Cheesy

It's almost impossible as the organisers of the Grand Prix de l'Age d'Or already need a special autorisation to use the circuit...

... but this idea of a demonstartion during the LM week may be a good idea. I'm trying to go in touch with the author of the petition and try to see what it's possible to do...

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2003, 03:07:21 pm »

... but this idea of a demonstartion during the LM week may be a good idea. I'm trying to go in touch with the author of the petition and try to see what it's possible to do...

That's good for a start. I believe Francois O'Born will be at Spa-Francorchamps for the 6 Hours in September (at least he was there last year with a Lotus 23). If so, I'll have a word with him.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2003, 04:52:37 pm »

Hi Rickmeister, Try the Mrs on with Fax's line about Cathedrals and add in some Ruins in the French Countryside. Reims is in the Champagne district I believe. Come on you old bullsh**tter make up a good story and take lots of pictures Roll Eyes
Canada Phil

Cathedrals and ruins might just work with Mrs. R (she likes old relics - she married one!) but the "dustbin lids" might need a bit more persuasion (financial probably).

Long suffering wifey was with me the day I shot the photos on page 1 of this thread, alas sunbathing was the order of the day back at the campsite and it was just me and my future Le Mans winning son aged 8 months at the time that made it to Reims!

In years to come he will treasure this photo below but all he says when he sees it at the moment is "why did you leave me alone by a main road?"!!!!!

Cheers

Rick

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2003, 05:20:27 pm »

Nice idea if you are coming to LM in a sports car, I don't know if they let family saloons do this sort of thing Smiley
Although the thought of Andy Z's commer sweeping off the top of the banking and overtaking exotica on the inside has brought a smile to my face this morning Smiley Smiley

Feck! You trying to give me nightmares Barry?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2003, 06:42:34 pm »

All these old tracks disapering.

May I suggest that those that are intrested join one of the many groups that are there trying to save these places.
I am a member of the Brooklands Socitey wich did a lot of work in getting what is left of the Brooklands listed. We are also working closey with Merc about the proposed super showroom and demonstator track there. We are also active in try to save Montlhery from the "le buldozers".
Have a look at the web site www.brooklands.org.uk

Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2003, 10:33:31 pm »

Nice idea if you are coming to LM in a sports car, I don't know if they let family saloons do this sort of thing Smiley
Although the thought of Andy Z's commer sweeping off the top of the banking and overtaking exotica on the inside has brought a smile to my face this morning Smiley Smiley

Feck! You trying to give me nightmares Barry?

Andy,

do you still want to left your Commer here in Le Mans next june to be able to present it to the Classic ?

Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2003, 10:46:02 pm »

All these old tracks disapering.

May I suggest that those that are intrested join one of the many groups that are there trying to save these places.
I am a member of the Brooklands Socitey wich did a lot of work in getting what is left of the Brooklands listed. We are also working closey with Merc about the proposed super showroom and demonstator track there. We are also active in try to save Montlhery from the "le buldozers".
Have a look at the web site www.brooklands.org.uk

I'm now one of the proud overseas members of the Brooklands Society...

... BTW I read in the last issue of OCTANE (what a good magazine,isn't it?) something about Brooklands and DaimlerChrysler. Can you tell me a little more?

Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2003, 11:46:15 pm »

Click on this, have a read and and sign the petition!
http://www.racingcircuits.net/

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2003, 06:46:20 am »

I Like the Commer diving down for the inside line  mental picture better. Probably due to total brake failure but Andy going for the gusto seemed fitting  Roll Eyes
Canada Phil
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2003, 12:19:25 pm »

Have been thinking about taking the Commer on a trackday. I think Dreamracer still has some places available.

It would be interesting to see what it's like at the limit, lethal probably. Front suspension is classic double wishbones with coil over shocks and anti roll bar, similar to an E type. But  the front subframe was nicked off an old Humber Hawk or something which is why the front wheel track is inboard of the wings by a foot on each side and far too narrow for the body. A typical piece of great British design screwed up by penny pincing accountants.

As you sit forward of the front wheels, when you go around a left hander you think you are going to nose dive and corkscrew into the ground . I think a banked oval would totally confuse it.

Oh Gilles, thanks for remembering about leaving the Commer in France for a couple of months. Theoritically yes, but will have to see nearer the time. Do you have somewhere in mind?

Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2003, 04:18:04 pm »

Oh Gilles, thanks for remembering about leaving the Commer in France for a couple of months. Theoritically yes, but will have to see nearer the time. Do you have somewhere in mind?

yes I've got somewhere in mind  Wink

BTW what was the firm which built Commer vans'  Huh ? Are you not able to fix it again by equivalence of spare parts?

Some Lotus guys use to go to Renault garages, as some parts in the 70's and 80's were the same (basically the engine was the same, wasn't it Mark ?) and Lotus and renault spare parts price may not be the same...

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2003, 06:59:57 pm »

[
BTW what was the firm which built Commer vans'  Huh ? Are you not able to fix it again by equivalence of spare parts?

Some Lotus guys use to go to Renault garages, as some parts in the 70's and 80's were the same (basically the engine was the same, wasn't it Mark ?) and Lotus and renault spare parts price may not be the same...

Commer was the light commercial vehicle part of the Rootes Group, which also manufactured various Hillman, Humber, Sunbeam and Singer cars. In the early 1960's, Rootes was taken over by the mighty Chrysler Corp. My Commer has some Chrysler Star emblems in various places. I think Chrysler owned Simca in France too. Commer was also sold in export markets as a Dodge Spacevan, due to the French connection? So it is related to the Viper, it could be argued!

In 1979, Chrysler pulled out due to increasing losses and the business was sold for about £10 to PSA (Peugeot) and the car division was renemed Talbot. (Gilles you may remember early 80's Talbot Alpine and Horizons, with their rattly Simca engines.) The Commer van continued to be built in small numbers until 1983. It was a crap vehicle in 1969 when mine was built. How it compared to say a Merc van circa 1983 does not bear thinking about. The factory in Coventry now makes Peugeot 206 and 307s.

But spare parts are not a problem, all available from Speedy Spares in Brighton. Very cheap, eg a new piston set (4) is about £15!! Body panels can be difficult to source.#

History lesson over but how about a piece in Automobile Historique??

Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2003, 08:12:43 pm »

Gilles

Glad you have joined Brooklands Society, were are an odd bunch. The site is also historic for flying as well as racing, I think the prototype Hurricain was built there.

As for the asscoiation with Merc. This will be a large show room and museum and a demonstration track. Built largly in the center of the old track. Odd realy, as Merc wernt that successful at Brooklands. But I guess a historic motor racing sit not far from some rich parts of London, is a good reason to come.

Shame it could not have been a British car company but we have non left.

Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2003, 12:18:48 am »

Shame it could not have been a British car company but we have non left.

MG? TVR? Lotus? Morgan? Proteus?

BTW, it could be so nice having Ford makes the same deal with Montlhéry and having a Jaguar showroom.

The bi-historical plane and car history is a common point with Le Mans, as the Wright brothers took off just where the hippodrome stand now (face to the Chinese restaurant on the Hunaudieres (sorry, MULSANNE) straight)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: