Club Arnage
June 26, 2024, 06:05:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brit F1 to move to Donington from 2010  (Read 28635 times)
SmithA
CA Veteran

smithytours.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7489662.stm

LM 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 - LMS Silverstone 05 - Donington 06 - Jarama 06 - Monza 07 - Valencia 07 - Silverstone 07
Queen Vic of the Melans
CA Veteran

Vicky

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 01:18:23 pm »

Brilliant news! Silverstone is lifeless now with no viewing areas at GP weekend unless you've got a seat...  i wouldn't mind paying to go to a F1 race at Donington!  The views from the infield would be great!  If they don't put concrete everywhere to obstruct the views?!
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 01:23:35 pm »

Brilliant news! Silverstone is lifeless now with no viewing areas at GP weekend unless you've got a seat...  i wouldn't mind paying to go to a F1 race at Donington!  The views from the infield would be great!  If they don't put concrete everywhere to obstruct the views?!

Ah bless you. Pretending you like cars again  Grin

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
Bentley boy
CA Veteran

A quoi bon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 01:34:31 pm »

Might even go the GP in 2010 now  Grin Haven't been since I discovered the 24 Heures.
Funnily enough it was because of the ALMS race at Donington that we 1st went to Le Mans

Hope they don't screw up what is a great track already! 
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 01:38:21 pm »

You do have to wonder what plans Donington have put on the table to pull this off.  At the moment it is one of the great tracks in the UK with fantastic spectator viewing.  We can but hope they don't screw that up to appease the poison dwarf and his travelling circus.

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:48:31 pm »

hhhmmm  Donington is going to need;-

New access roads
New Pits
New Paddock (over the top of the Melbourne Loop)
Longer Track
New Spectator Facilities
New Grandstands (that will block the viewing...)
Track upgrade to F1 safety standards

I wonder if this will just end up like the Brands Hatch deal....  Especially when the owners realise that they have to spend huge amounts of money and get 1p revenue from it all after Bernie and his buddies have taken everything else...

Still good luck to them,  at least Silverstone/BRDC don't have to worry about raising a load of money hacking about with the circuit!

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
SteveZarse
CA Veteran

Probably the best llama in the world

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 01:49:11 pm »

Hmmm think they might have to widen parts of the circuit which will change how it drives. IMO that can't possibly make it a better track  Undecided

TEAM ZARSE - It's our pleasure!
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 01:58:37 pm »

Good news. It's about time the BRDC had its arse kicked. How long have they been promising a major refirmishment. I remember seeing plans about 4 years ago for a state of the art pit complex on the hanger straight and nothing has been built yet. The grandstand opposite the pits hasn't even got a roof on it. A real asset on a typical British summers day. I'm sorry but I don't consider building a few extra toilet blocks and tarmacing the carparks a major refirb.

I am certainly no fan of the poison dwarf, but, to be fair to him he has been warning them for years that he would take the GP away and they didn't listen. So tough sh*t Silverstone. May the souless dump rot away.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 02:23:10 pm »

Not sure whether to celebrate or mourn...

IF (don't forget Bernie has already taken the GP away from Silverstone once only for planning regs to stop the move to Brands) the swap happens then we can celebrate the passing of Silverstone (dump that it is).  But like others I have concerns that the changes necessary to make Donington a GP venue would sterilise its existing charms.

Huh
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

To add speed, just add lightness.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 02:27:43 pm »

I think becasue of the changes required to bring the circuit up to the required FIA / Bernie level, then there is a great risk that Donington will become as faceless as Silverstone.

Donington is a great circuit for watching now, as it is, but that will have to change to support F1.

I think this might turn out to be a thinly disguised shot across the bows of Silverstone.

Plus they only have about 18 months to get all the planning done and granted, and then complete the physical works.

Le Mans is for the week......not just 24hrs!

When life throws you lemons, bring out the tequila!!

Vodka! Cheaper than Botox and paralyses more muscles!
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 03:25:20 pm »

To save Donnington, British immigration should blacklist german race circuit designer Hermann Tilke immidiately

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Queen Vic of the Melans
CA Veteran

Vicky

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 03:50:04 pm »

Ah bless you. Pretending you like cars again  Grin

Rob you're right... someone must have hijacked my machine/account
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 05:22:43 pm »

I have just got back from Silverstone, wandering around the back of the F1 padock. Donnington have got thier work cut out, new pits (they have just built new ones too) new bigger smoother padock, grandstands, service roads, (If anyone remebers Renult Day at Donnington, It was hell getting out).

The one major problem they will have is closing East Midlands Airport for 3 days, when they were there for the European GP (Wich Tom Wheatcroft lost a small fortune on and told BE were to stuff it when he was offerd the Brit GP contract) the cranes for lifting the cars of the track, monaco style, were right in the flight path. Now there a hellicopters, costanly flying around.

So one of Britains greatst tracks is about to get ruined, leave it at Silverstone that's ruined already! Plus we could do with keeping the revenue the GP brings round here

Bobblehat

Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 05:24:37 pm »

And think about all the high catch fencing that is sure to go up, lots of great photo places at the track will be lost Angry
Bentley boy
CA Veteran

A quoi bon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 05:29:59 pm »

Do you think they'll have to move the pits at Donnington? can't see Bernie putting up with that amount of room length wise & width wise.
How about onto the straight opposite the exhibition hall (not very flat there)or on the exhibition site??
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: