Club Arnage
July 01, 2024, 09:25:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard time in business  (Read 81828 times)
Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

it's all a bit much at my age.... Ich Habe.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2009, 11:43:11 pm »

Heard today that I didn't get the Bournemouth job Sad

But at least the late delivery of the descission was due to a debate between choosing me and another candidate. I came 2nd. They said that if 'he' was not there, I'd been working from Monday.

He must be really good. (probably taught me at some time).

Sorry to hear that mate. I did get a lead on something today fom one of my contacts. Will PM you.
PP

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2009, 12:06:15 am »

Heard today that I didn't get the Bournemouth job Sad

But at least the late delivery of the descission was due to a debate between choosing me and another candidate. I came 2nd. They said that if 'he' was not there, I'd been working from Monday.

He must be really good. (probably taught me at some time).

Sorry to hear that mate. I did get a lead on something today fom one of my contacts. Will PM you.
PP

Thanks mate.

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2009, 12:08:58 am »

Well, I've gone and done it.....I've signed on so to speak.

Been speaking with my main client and a few agencies over the last few weeks and the outlook is grim to say the least.
Phase 2 of my client's project is again delayed and what with the comments mentioned in another subject posting
http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=9356.0.

So yesterday I spent just over an hour speaking to a lovely scottish lady on the 'phone and explaing my circumstances and I found out that I am able to claim both Job Seekers Allowance and Disabled Living Allowance. In fact from the time I was initially rendered disabled (33yrs) I've been able to claim this!! Wonder if they will back date it Grin

Anyway, got my 'interview' on Monday.

Had to laugh though, during our conversation, I was asked many questions, one being am I available for work. Well yes I am was my immediate reply. She looked on the database and came up with a post as 'Logistics Manager'.  laugh

I pointed out to her that the only logistics I know how to do is on a construction site. ie. not globally unless I'm the 'package'!!!

Today I spoke with the 'end user client' at length and he wants a meeting with my client to push progress forward for Phase 2 and I have to be there. So, things are looking but snail slow.

I'll keep you informed.

BUT, if things don't work out, I will miss LM and the 1st CA/DfH Bleu Nord experience Cry

Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2009, 09:33:47 am »

BUT, if things don't work out, I will miss LM and the 1st CA/DfH Bleu Nord experience Cry

I wish you all the best, lets hope it will work out and we'll see you on BN

Cheers

Werner

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Queen Vic of the Melans
CA Veteran

Vicky

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2009, 03:36:07 pm »

It's been a while since I've caught up with things.  It's certainly tough out there at the moment. 

My company, IBM Business Partner/IT solutions provider went under on the 27th Feb.  Around 100 people were let go without any prior notice.  Redundancy claim will go through the government and will only amount to £300ish for each year I've served!  We knew things were going to change and there would be a few victims, but I had been told my position was safe.  The bank pulled the plug at the last minute and we must have been carrying a hefty debt so there was no way back. 

I've signed on, which was an experience...  Things have been busy the last week or so with attending interviews etc and I'm nearing a point where I should have a couple of roles to choose from.  I really feel for anyone out of work at the moment.  All I can recommend is that you sign on as soon as possible and claim what you rightfully deserve as we have all worked for that £60 per week ten times over!

I'm always the optimist and believe there are things out there, it's just waiting for it - if you're fortunate enough to be able to wait.

For those who are in the same position as me or find themselves out of work anytime soon, keep your chin up and good luck x 

PS.  I can actually say that I'm glad I didn't commit to Sebring or Nurburgring (even though I've been close to just saying "sod it" and buying the tickets etc" - it's going to be a tough few months.  Hopefully we will all be celebrating in June at LM!
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2009, 10:35:15 pm »

Vic and Leftie,
Keep positive, give your chin up, something new and wonderful is just around the corner with your names written on.

cheers

Steve East Anglian cobras

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2009, 10:57:41 pm »

Vic and Leftie,
Keep positive, give your chin up, something new and wonderful is just around the corner with your names written on.

A P45?  Sad

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2009, 11:51:00 am »

Best wishes to all of us in the same predicament, I have been looking for a new role since the beginning of December, firstly being told that the market was completely dead due to the economic forecasts and the Christmas break coming up. since then there has been a few more "opportunities" but still having to endure the "experience" of signing on. So now I have decided that I will go it alone and start up a business selling special dietary foods, Gluten Free for Coeliac's, Sugar Free for Diabetics and Nut free for people with nut allergies. It's a risk as it will use all of my reserves to start up (Hence no LM this year), but there is no real help from the Government for industry(unless your a City *anker who has screwed the economy). So, if you can, the time is to make your own luck, otherwise batten down the hatches and weather the storm.
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2009, 02:09:21 pm »

Having been made redundant myself in September [house building], here's my take on the situation.

Stage 1: Cr@p yourself and assume that the world is at an end.  Apply for anything going no matter how distasteful.  I went as low as applying for a job as an estate agent [sorry all you agents]. Use your redundancy money wisely.  Reduce everything to a minimum. Switch your mortgage to interest only.  Sell the dog. Sign on at the Job Centre [why do they need security guards?]. Form own limited company.

Stage 2: Once you realise that you still have a roof over your head and with interest rates as they are you can survive [12 months ago I was paying the best part of £800/month on mortgage, now just dropped to £50 on interest only!!!] for a while, get out there and ring your colleagues, mates, acquaintances, former business partners and start networking.  In my business it's not what, but who you know.  Just had a guy ring me with details of 4 central London hotels & a massive office block for sale.  As an old colleague said to me recently "glad to hear that you are fighting back".  That's just how I feel.

Stage 3: Having made some money and having sought advice on how best to not pay HMRC too much tax [in the legal way], begin to enjoy life a bit more, book your Le Mans tickets & begin to look forward again.  The property business is showing some limited green shoots, but it will affect second hand homes initially as mortgage money is made more readily available.  Those of us in the new homes business will have to wait until late '09 or early '10.

This does sound rather glib, but I have moved from stage 1 to stage 2.  I have opportunities to make money [so why am I "wasting" time on here you say!] and I hope that once the big deals come in that I will not be returning to being an employee.

To those of you recently made redundant I hope that you can draw some comfort from someone who is a few months ahead of you.

Hope to see you all at LM this year, which should prove to be cheaper for me than last year.  I reckon that my basic package will cost me £122.50 compared to £170 last year.  Fuel will be cheaper, just need the Euro to collapse, as widely predicted, in early summer so that we get back to €1.2 to £1 [or better] to reduce beer prices while in France.

Regards,

Paul / Landman

Crouch..........bind..........set
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2009, 06:05:57 pm »

Ian,

I'm not sure if it is still running,but the DTI or whatever they are called these days used to run a thing called the loan guarantee scheme which is aimed to help new business starting up.

It is a loan scheme which from waht I can remember is underwritten by the DTI and the  banks.

Wishy
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2009, 01:32:06 am »

Ian,

I'm not sure if it is still running,but the DTI or whatever they are called these days used to run a thing called the loan guarantee scheme which is aimed to help new business starting up.

It is a loan scheme which from waht I can remember is underwritten by the DTI and the  banks.

Wishy

I am (was) registered as a Sole Trader and therefore not quaulifying for that protection.

Howerver, did you notice in the 'headlines' recently that the HMG has started a new scheme with no changes to the old one.

Just ZaNu Labour 'sound bites'.

I hope I'm wrong.

First contractor I worked with was Wrekin Construction Ltd. I've worked with many but they are in the top two of my list. They have gone into Administration because the government bank RBS will not aid funding as 'cash flow' even though a £100m confirmed order book on government funded projects. The mind boggles.

Wrekin is one of the best managed companies I know of.

F***ing senseless.

wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2009, 07:46:11 am »

It seems that RBS have a policy not to support anyone at the mo.

Last week I asked for a temporary extensiont to my overdraugh tdue to a small hiccup with  cashflow ....as a number of my customers are paying very slowly,even though "errindoors "chases them on a daily basis to no avail.

I am really concerned with the banking fraternty...when I made the first call I was asked what I do for a living........That really builds confidence!!!!!!

The thing that really pi**es me off is that because them being swines  ,i have had to turn away 6 grands worth of business this week so far Sad

Luckily for me there is light at the end of the tunnel........my wealthy aunt has offered a short term loan get me out of the provebial.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 03:35:13 pm by wishy » Logged
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2009, 04:11:06 pm »

Ian,

Wishy

Thanks Wishy, it seems and help on business start up is rather limited (unless youare a bank of course), trying to avoide too much borrowing, went to the HSBC to open a business account and asked, the lady business advisor and she actually laughed when I enquired  Roll Eyes
Robbo
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

"ANTHEM"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2009, 01:56:00 pm »

Last week I asked for a temporary extensiont to my overdraugh tdue to a small hiccup with  cashflow ....as a number of my customers are paying very slowly,even though "errindoors "chases them on a daily basis to no avail.

We had the same problem, we use an online solicitor to send threatening letters!
Thomas Higgins is who we use and they charge £2 a letter, seems to get people paying quicker!
You can enter all the details online to speed up the process.

Pessimist - Glass half empty
Optimist - Glass half full
Engineer - Glass twice as big as needed
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2009, 06:54:34 pm »

Vic and Leftie,

cheers

That would be tickets at BN with CA and DfH then.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: