Club Arnage
October 06, 2024, 11:31:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silverstone Classic - 25-27 July  (Read 18749 times)
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 12:48:12 pm »

I went along on Sunday with the missus and some friends. Loads to see as usual. Was disappointed that I didn't get to see the Sauber race as that was going to be my highlight of the weekend, having not seen it for 20 years! A shame it was damaged.

Took plenty of photos which I'm gradually uploading to my Pbase gallery. The rally ones (including the 205 T16's roll) and Group C ones are already up. Click the link below to have a look.  Smiley

http://www.pbase.com/trackside/silverstoneclassic_270708

The Sauber Merc getting smashed is a racing accident and so whilst sad, it's understandable. BUt that stupid twat smashing up the Pug wants his arse kicking. How the hell do you do that on a flat surface? I don't know who he is but I'd suggest he's just another joker with more money than skill, or sense.  Angry

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 05:55:06 pm »

Just to reiterate what others have already said really - only went on the Sunday but had a thoroughly enjoyable day. Well worth the money to see all that lovely machinery and we haven't had too many opportunities recently to see the Group C historics in action of late. Twice this year really is more often than usual. Shame about the Sauber Merc but at least we saw that at La Sarthe. Justin Law was pretty awesome in the Jag.

The F1 (particularly the later cars) brought back good memories for me and really impressed the other half, who had never seen any F1 machinery in action before.

Oh - and nice to bump into a fellow CA'er on the way in - hope you had a good day Dickie Attwood.

Next event for us is the National Hillclimb meeting at Shelsley Walsh on 16th August. To any of you who have not had the pleasure of this totally different kind of motorsport I would highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 06:03:49 pm by pretzel » Logged

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2008, 07:08:41 pm »

Next event for us is the National Hillclimb meeting at Shelsley Walsh on 16th August. To any of you who have not had the pleasure of this totally different kind of motorsport I would highly recommend it.

I totally agree with pretzel here, have competed there, it scared the life out of me. After 20yrs I still get the shakes but with a HUGE grin when anyone mentions it.

There are hillclimbs all over the UK.  Just go and watch, you will see driving more demanding and precise than anything else.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:22:41 pm by Leftie » Logged

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2008, 11:08:04 pm »

I went along on Sunday with the missus and some friends. Loads to see as usual. Was disappointed that I didn't get to see the Sauber race as that was going to be my highlight of the weekend, having not seen it for 20 years! A shame it was damaged.

Took plenty of photos which I'm gradually uploading to my Pbase gallery. The rally ones (including the 205 T16's roll) and Group C ones are already up. Click the link below to have a look.  Smiley

The Sauber Merc getting smashed is a racing accident and so whilst sad, it's understandable. BUt that stupid twat smashing up the Pug wants his arse kicking. How the hell do you do that on a flat surface? I don't know who he is but I'd suggest he's just another joker with more money than skill, or sense.  Angry

The car was fitted with knobbly forest tyres and they were not suitable for the surface they were running on. He turned rather sharply at speed and they dug in and flipped the car.
You may be right about the money thingn as that huge white rig and trailer was his along with the Marlboro RS200, and another of the 205 T16's. I understand that he owns about 6 group B cars. Make that 5 1/2 now.
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2008, 11:22:33 pm »

I must have been stood next to you for most of the day and you have pretty much the same shots as me from both the group B and the end of the group C race as i too was up near that flag ! Small world.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2008, 11:37:14 pm »

The car was fitted with knobbly forest tyres and they were not suitable for the surface they were running on. He turned rather sharply at speed and they dug in and flipped the car.
You may be right about the money thingn as that huge white rig and trailer was his along with the Marlboro RS200, and another of the 205 T16's. I understand that he owns about 6 group B cars. Make that 5 1/2 now.

In which case Chris, that's the guy who was featured recently in a CAR magazine article on GpB rallying. He seemed genuinely passionate about his cars. I just hope he gets a professional driver in future. It was simply the sight of the grinning idiot waving to the crowd having emerged from the twisted heap of kevlar that riled me so. God I loved those Gp B cars, sheer magic.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
tn*c
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 07:28:09 pm »

I contacted the owner of the litchlake campsite about other events, mainly Britcar and LMS but this was my reply:-

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us for the Classic event.  This is slowly building in popularity so we will continue to open for this - as for the other events you mention there really is not enough profit margin for us to cover our various costs to open.  We do apologise and will review the situation next year when we will of course be open for the British Grand Prix and the Classic event again.
Susie tustian

Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 09:34:36 pm »

I contacted the owner of the litchlake campsite about other events, mainly Britcar and LMS but this was my reply:-

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us for the Classic event.  This is slowly building in popularity so we will continue to open for this - as for the other events you mention there really is not enough profit margin for us to cover our various costs to open.  We do apologise and will review the situation next year when we will of course be open for the British Grand Prix and the Classic event again.
Susie tustian

I know we discussed this, but they really need 2-300 guarrentteed camping. The alternative is we arrange the loos/showers ourselves and then ask. Money has to be up-front though. No show- you loose your money, very straight forward.

If they need the field for grazing, we could fence of enough space and police it just for us.

Opinions welcome.

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
tn*c
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 09:38:35 pm »

Well £35 from me already. Cancel Whittlebury-add that to the fund everyone going. Ok you will not have showers but a better located site.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2008, 11:40:49 am »

Seconded.  It's a much better location than other sites, with a max 5-minute walk across the road and straight in through the circuit main entrance to Bridge.  Friendly owner too.  I'll send them a separate email just to bolster their interest level and mention CA in it - they might be prepared to let us use a corner of the field if someone co-ordinates/controls attendance from a group, which means that they don't have to police the entrance. 

I'd far rather come to "an arrangement" with them for a corner of the field for other events than use the other sites.  Lack of showers isn't an issue - that's what baby wipes were made for - and loos are easy enough to do without, given the proximity to the circuit and village.  Access to a working tap (e.g. the stand pipes outside the loos) would be good, but otherwise, just a place to park the car and a tent works for me.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2008, 06:04:21 pm »

And this is what I sent to them:

A belated brief note just to say what a delight and pleasure it was to camp at Litchlake last weekend for the Silverstone Classic.  Easy access to the campsite, the circuit and the village, combined with a quiet pleasant location, and a friendly welcome – many thanks, it made for a great weekend for me and my two lads who came with me.   

As one of a group, Club Arnage - http://www.clubarnage.com - from which various members visit Silverstone on other occasions for the likes of Britcar and LMS races, those who were also at Litchlake last weekend have been unanimous in praising it for the same reasons as myself. 

I know that you advertise as only being open for the Grand Prix and the Classic, but I was wondering if there was any possibility that you might consider allowing members of the group to use a small corner of the field at one or two other events without formally opening up the site?   The Silverstone regulars from Club Arnage probably amount to the region of 10-20 cars/tents.  I understand that you must have costs and other factors to consider in opening up the site as you do for the Grand Prix and Classic, but I was thinking that perhaps we could help in that respect, by minimising the costs, disruption and effort needed – perhaps through the group providing a detailed list of people/vehicles coming, up-front payment if necessary, temporarily fencing off a corner of the field if it was in use for grazing, self-policing of entry/exit and behaviour, and minimising the use of facilities - for example, access to water would be ideal, but depending on numbers the loos/sinks might not be required given the proximity to the circuit and the village.  Would be grateful for your thoughts,

All the best

Mark Williams

And this is the answer I received:

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us for the Classic and we will definitely continue to open for this event in the future. Unfortunately we cannot open for the LMS as the field is already booked for a charity horse show and we need to organise insurance etc these days for any event we do which can be quite expensive.  However if you think you will have a demand for any events next year if you could kindly let us know then we can organise the insurance etc and arrange to open if there is sufficient demand.
Susie

So, the option is there, if a) there is enough interest to make it worth their while and b) we can get those wanting the facility for an event together, confirmed, and organised early enough to make it happen.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2008, 06:52:40 pm »

Does anyone know next years dates?

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2008, 09:38:44 pm »

From the Silverstone Classic website   July 24th , 25th and 26th 2009

After a successful 2008 Silverstone Classic, where over 57,000 visitors saw 21 races and enjoyed three days of family entertainment both on and off the track, Event Director Roger Etcell unveiled some of the plans for next year’s Silverstone Classic in a press conference held in the International Media Centre.

Murray Walker – Silverstone Classic Ambassador
Murray Walker, who has been the special guest this year, has agreed to become the Ambassador to the Silverstone Classic, coinciding perfectly with the launch of his new book and his long association with Silverstone.

Murray Walker said: "I have been very well aware over the past few weeks or so that Motion Works, who have been organising this whole magnificent extravaganza, have been putting an absolutely gargantuan amount of hard work into this event. The work has been done with pleasantness, cheerfulness and gigantic efficiency and I am genuinely impressed with the whole thing. I'm sure you won’t speak to anyone, whether they are a competitor or a spectator, who won’t say the same thing. I've been talking to a lot of the punters, the people who have paid money to come here, and I can tell you that they are all have smiles on their faces. This is the first time Motion Works have done it and I don't know how it can get better when it is absolutely fabulous already. I'm delighted to be associated with the Silverstone Classic."

Dates for 2009
The 2009 Silverstone Classic will take place on 24/25/26 July**, retaining the traditional date of the last weekend in July. After successfully attracting a crowd of over 50,000 this year, in 2009 Motion Works is looking to attract at least 65,000 three-day visitors with a bigger and even better event that will feature further enhanced racing, a greater number of car clubs and classic cars, more live music, a bigger exhibition area with more themed trade malls, more air displays and other family orientated entertainment.

Live TV and online streaming
Pan European broadcaster Motors TV has confirmed two days of live TV coverage for next year’s event. New for 2009 will be the online streaming of the live TV coverage on the Silverstone Classic website, giving the event worldwide coverage.

Jaguar, the celebrated marque
The celebrated marque next year will be Jaguar, 60 years after the company first went racing with the XK120, winning first time out here at Silverstone. In 1949 Jaguar factory workers arrived at Silverstone in coaches, paying 16 shillings to watch their car win.

Michael Quinn, Patron of the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust and grandson of Jaguar founder Sir William Lyons, said: "Obviously we are delighted that Jaguar has been chosen to be the featured marque next year. It is wholly appropriate that 60 years after the XK120's first ever race, where they came in first and second, which is an anniversary well worth celebrating. I was quite interested and amused to hear that the factory workers paid 16 shillings to watch their company race as my grandfather didn't give anything away. On a personal note I have been competing and I would just like to add to Murray's comments about the organisation of this event. I love the fact that the event is designed to be approachable and is appealing to families. There are a lot of children here and drivers are putting them in their cars and showing them around. It is extremely important, especially in the historic racing world, that we appeal to the younger generation. We are really looking forward to being a part of the 2009 event."

New race for Super Touring Cars
New for the 2009 event will be a completely new race format for mid 90’s Super Touring Cars, capturing the great days of BTCC. Organisers will be targeting at least 30 cars to take part and as many original drivers as possible competing for the annual David Leslie Memorial Trophy.

World Record Attempt
A new world record will be attempted in association with Classic & Sports Car Magazine to get 1000 classic road cars on track at the same time. A £10 entry fee per car will raise £10,000 for a nominated charity.

James Elliott, Editor of Classic & Sports Car Magazine said: "It's probably not the best known world record but there is one for the greatest number of classic cars on a track at one time, moving. It is currently in the 870's and was set at Hockenheim. They keep trying to beat their own record and keep failing and there is no reason why we can't beat this record as there are so many fabulous cars here. So we're going to work with Roger Etcell and his team to do a big push and smash this record next year by a long, long way and make this a British record. Classic & Sports Car are going to be pushing very hard but we would like all the press to help us push it so we can establish a world record for this event and for Silverstone."

Roger Etcell, Silverstone Classic Event Director said: "We are pleased to announce that the crowd figure for the three days is 57,000, compared to 41,000 last year and above our target of 49,000 we announced at the media day in March. Motion Works will work to build on the success of this year, aiming to attract over 65,000 people to the 2009 Silverstone Classic with enhancements across the range of entertainment and building towards our ultimate goal of 90,000 by 2010. I'd like to thank everyone involved in putting on this event, especially the competitors who we asked a lot of to keep the paddock clear of transporters and trailers and now that we've set the precedent we can maintain the open paddock from here on and I can only thank the competitors and their mechanics for their support. The whole concept of the Silverstone Classic is 'touch-feel-talk' and hopefully we are achieving that. We're very pleased with the racing element, chuffed with the car clubs involvement, the air displays, music and all the other elements we couldn't have asked for anything better in just six months since we've taken over the event. With all the elements we've announced today we are confident that the 2009 Silverstone Classic will be bigger and better."

Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2008, 07:57:51 pm »

Thanks Chris

Does the campsite only do friday - monday?

>Martini... LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
DickieAttwood
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2008, 01:24:04 am »

Pretzel & Bobblehat

It was nice to meet you and exchange a few words.... I had to leave early Sunday to rendezvous with the other Attwoods in the Lake District. Silverstone was part 1 of the Family Hols.

I've uploaded my pics to Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/29190306@N05/

D.A.

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money. The sh1t has hit the fan.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: