Club Arnage
October 07, 2024, 12:50:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone interested in flying to LM24 in 2009  (Read 9990 times)
Buddha

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2008, 05:51:57 pm »

Hi All

I am discussing with some contacts in the airline business the chance of a scheduled flight or two there and back next year.  What would help is some idea of how popular this might be (i.e. the difference between a 5 seater death trap and a larger plane with very attractive cabin crew).

Let me know your thoughts and if you are interested.

Cheers

Buddha
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 06:33:07 pm »

I was thinking about this only today. Can you keep me informed?
Many thanks
Steve

I tested negative for patience.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 06:45:43 pm »

I believe that similar enquiries were made a few years ago.
Landing charges were found to be very expensive LM week, as was plane parking for the week
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 08:02:05 pm »

What about flying to Paris CDG (plenty of cheapish flights) and then getting the TGV to LM?
We could all rendezvous in Paris for a mass train ride to LM.
Thinking seriously about this for next year.
Steve

I tested negative for patience.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 08:04:52 pm »

Trayboy and another of the Brethern did it this year, then caught the tram. As they were staying on HAN, it apparently worked excellently.

But who takes the kit down?
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 09:56:05 am »

Trayboy and another of the Brethern did it this year, then caught the tram. As they were staying on HAN, it apparently worked excellently.

But who takes the kit down?

One of our crew arrived by TGV and tram this year - worked very well.  The only solution for kit is for them to cart it with them, or someone else to bring it/some of it (e.g. tent etc) for them by other means

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
AdamH
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 11:51:51 am »

It's quite cheap to fly to Paris CDG then get the TGV to Le Mans.

This year I flew from East Midlands to Paris for about fifty odd pounds return (inc taxes etc) on BMI Baby, then got the TGV first class to LM for £35 and came back on a slower "Ten" service for £25 (no TGVs at 4am!)

Due to none of my friends being able to make to full trip this year, I went down for qualifying on Wednesday and Thursday and came bakc on Friday.
I got the tram from Le Mans station to the circuit on wednesday, camped in my small tent in an unmarked corner of KN wednesday night and headed back to Le Mans train station on foot after Thursday qualifying (the trams had finished running by then) for my 4am train back to Paris.

It was well worth it for my annual fix of Le Mans, especially down at the awesome Arnage (although no fun walking back from there in the dark) and I watched the race at home on a TV projector I borrowed.

Hope to be back for the full week+weekend next year.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 11:56:51 am »

Would be interested. Planning shorter trip next year due to lessening love of tents, pikey thefts, missing my 2 kids, not missing my dragon wife, busy worklife etc.
 Like the plane and train idea too. Problem with charter plan is it will prob be from soft southern airport which doesn't help us northern monkeys.
 Want to stay in a hotel too next year so gear not a problem for me. Has anyone stayed at the Hotel de Paris in Eccommoy? Looks nice from the outside and is only 15mins away.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 12:16:34 pm »

Dr S,
I rendezvoused at Blue Nord with a mate, and although our two journeys were very different, our journey times were almost identical,  as I think you're based in the NE somewhere it's a good comparison.
I left London at about 6am on Friday morning, driving to Calais for the tunnel and arriving at LM just in time to pick him up at the tram stop at Tetre Rouge at 3 in the afternoon. He'd left Edinburgh, also at 6am, with a flight to Paris CDG, transfer to the TGV to Le Mans and finally the tram.
And I'll admit, he was in much better shape than me.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 12:50:09 pm »

My first 2 trips to LM were via the CDG and the TGV and I "freecamped" in Houx, what you can bring is obviously limited, but if you are only staying a few nights then its not a problem.

I've twice hired a car and whilst more expensive makes the trip more enjoyable.
Personally I'd rather fly to Orly or Rennes as the journey will be quicker.

Stu
Buddha

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 02:51:49 pm »

If i get anywhere with this vain attempt I will post something on CA for all.  For us soft southerners, there is a great flight from Newquay (excellent for us surfers) to St. Briec with a TGV straight to LM - a source at the airline suggested they might consider extending this flight to include a drop off and pick up from LM - thus taking away the parking problem.

Kit is the problem, but hopefully the rest of my group who hire a van can accommodate - maybe if this takes off (do excuse me on that one), then we can consider sharring the camel resource.

Do like the idea of CDG and train - could be just like the old ski train to the mountains.

Keep your ideas flowing.

Buddha
nickliv
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 11:35:53 pm »

I looked into this a couple of years ago, and I'm afraid to say, the cost was pretty prohibitive. The Arnage runway is fairly small, and the best you can hope for (Size wise) is a largish twin turboprop - ATR 72, Dash 8, Saab 2000 sort of size.

The price I got came in at about £350 PP for a Saab 2000, assuming a full plane both ways.

Pieanair and TGV will be much cheaper, and you can still do the 'group' thing. And you won't get left holding the chequebook when the music stops.

Best of luck.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 11:43:56 pm »

I'm sure we have seen bigger stuff than that taking off, Nick, but I'm no expert.
And I was probably over refreshed. Grin
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 12:32:36 am »

Dr S,
I rendezvoused at Blue Nord with a mate, and although our two journeys were very different, our journey times were almost identical,  as I think you're based in the NE somewhere it's a good comparison.
I left London at about 6am on Friday morning, driving to Calais for the tunnel and arriving at LM just in time to pick him up at the tram stop at Tetre Rouge at 3 in the afternoon. He'd left Edinburgh, also at 6am, with a flight to Paris CDG, transfer to the TGV to Le Mans and finally the tram.
And I'll admit, he was in much better shape than me.
H
The bottle of grouse on the way down probably didnt help you h.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Chris (Liverpool Boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 01:38:46 am »

There is definitely bigger stuff than that taking off and landing we had our resident aviation oracle with us this year!!!!

Bring on the low flyers
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: