Club Arnage
July 03, 2024, 10:37:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hope this blows over soon  (Read 11160 times)
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 06:15:34 pm »

When I started driving petrol was 5s 5d per gallon ( that's 25p in new money) and we were still looking for ways to save fuel  or money!
I found the best way was a jerrycan, syphon tube and a good selection of Army vehicles in our German workshops !!

I never got used to the taste, but had to grin and bare out of necessity.

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 08:53:11 am »

I was a pump attendant in the evenings to help out financially in the 1960's. After filling up a person's car and they'd left I drained the contents of the hose into a can. At the end of my shift my Mini was nearly full!
NorwayNick

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 09:50:11 am »

he..he i find the fuel drained from our Aircraft fuel tanks runs great in my diesel with a touch of oil  Grin no wonder aircraft fares are on the up.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 10:12:24 am »

Just a brief update.  No sign of an end to the industrial action going on around France.  Yesterday there was "operation escargot" (I'll leave that to your imaginations) by some lorry drivers and young farmers blockaded Total garages.  So the advice remains the same - leave plenty of time for your trip and expect some disruption but - at the moment at least - chances are that you'll all get here.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 10:28:10 am »

- chances are that you'll all get here.

Thanks Termie. We can probably all get there on a full tank of fuel, but will we get back? Undecided

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 10:59:11 am »

There is plenty of fuel available around here at the moment - although at a price.  When there were problems, the worst that happened here was a restriction on the amount per car (40€).

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 11:05:20 am »

- chances are that you'll all get here.

Thanks Termie. We can probably all get there on a full tank of fuel, but will we get back? Undecided

TBH getting stuck down there with a good excuse would be fantastic, as long as I can find a broadband connection I can work remotely  Grin
Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 11:26:26 am »

Hi Termie
thanks for the up to date intel, is operation escargot on all types of roads or just the main routes motorways and N roads?
I am planning the D road down from lisuiex (If I dont drive past it) through vimoutiers.

Andy
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 11:42:26 am »

All Routes Nationales so far.

Topcatz

... cars ... mates ... BEER! - must be Le Mans ;-)

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 11:49:57 am »

There is plenty of fuel available around here at the moment - although at a price.  When there were problems, the worst that happened here was a restriction on the amount per car (40€).

Hi Termie,

Thanks for the 'on the spot' info re fuel, fishermen, farmers, truckers ..... (oh hell, the whole of the French population! ) and their revolting ways.

Don't seem to get much detail on this side of the channel, so never sure what the effects are, your 'reports' are invaluable.

Seem to recall hearing somewhere that during the worst of the fuel crisis that filling Jerry cans at petrol stations was prohibited, what is the situation now? (we need petrol for the genny and it only has a little tank, so dragging it off to the petrol station every refill is not a realistic option!).

And before anyone suggests the following:
1) Siphoning some out of the car. It's a DIESEL Land Rover and we need PETROL (not that I'm going to rub this point in with one of OUR party who suggested it AND also just happens to own the LR! [it's OK MARTIN, I won't mention your name  EvilUndecided)
2) Filling the Jerry in the UK. The ferry company (LD Lines) specifically ban cans of fuel (OK, we don't give a toss about their rules, but we will need to refill it during our stay regardless), AND none of us much fancy sharing the LR cab with a stinking 5 Gal tin of petrol for about 6 hours!

TC
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 11:55:52 am »

Filling Jerry cans is fine in the Sarthe at the mo', although one or two departements have banned them - but they are further South than here.  When somebody asked at a petrol station which was enforcing this ban how they were supposed to fill their mowers, the reply was "wait until the place closes and use the 24 hour pump and your card!"  One other method people use apparently, is to pop their mowers on a trailer and fill them direct - great fuel saving exercise, non? Roll Eyes

Seriously, I think you'll be fine.  More and more stations now accept UK cards (all the Intermarches for instance seem to have converted now) so using 24 hour stations is much easier than it once was.  Certainly the motorway places all take UK non-French cards now.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 12:20:45 pm by termietermite » Logged

LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 12:18:37 pm »

Which means they wil prolly also take Dutch cards. Grin

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 12:20:12 pm »

Which means they wil prolly also take Dutch cards. Grin
Ooops. Embarrassed

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 12:53:50 pm »

Update : Jerry can ban in Dept. 79 has been lifted, so hopefully all will be fine here also, as we didn't have a ban in the first place.

Topcatz

... cars ... mates ... BEER! - must be Le Mans ;-)

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 02:04:56 pm »

Thanks Termie  Kiss

If you're passing our way on BSJ, there's ICE cold beer with your name on it  Grin

Isn't CA (and it's members!) an absolute gold mine of essential info.  Smiley

TC
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: