Club Arnage
July 04, 2024, 08:55:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brand new shiny CA server  (Read 10251 times)
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2008, 12:51:19 am »

I’m delighted to be able to share some very exciting news -  (OK, I know, I need to get out more…!!)

The performance issues on the existing server were analysed as being due to the shortage of memory, which could not be further upgraded. Tonight an order has been placed for a new, much more capable server on which Club Arnage will be hosted. This should be in place in good time for the 2008 rush, so we should not see any of the performance problems which have dogged the site during the run up to June in previous years.

The new server is being funded solely by money raised through the forum, so can I be the first to say thank you to all who have contributed in any way, whether it be by organising or buying merchandise, chipping in when the site funding was on it’s uppers, or helping/serving on t’committee.

The committee is arranging the procurement of the server, which will be delivered to Lennart for configuration and installation. The server is on a 10 day lead time and was ordered today. I’ll keep in touch with progress and update this thread with some sort of timetable once firmer dates are known.

The new server has many times more memory, so should not only give us faster forum performance and future proofing but also gives scope for new and enhanced services to be considered.

Ownership of the new server hardware will remain with the “Club”. No conditions or restrictions have been placed on the precise usage of the server - it may well be that Dave D’s other sites continue to be hosted on this server, as the revenue from these contribute to the hosting costs. The server will continue to be hosted in its current location.

Lennart worked with Tom to develop the spec of the new server, so for the technically minded amongst you, here is the spec:

Dell PowerEdgeTM SC1435
Dual Core AMD Opteron™ 2216; 2.4GHz, 2X1MB Cache, 95W, 1Ghz HyperTransport
4GB DDR2 667MHz Memory
SAS 5/i Integrated Controller Card for SATA and SAS Hard Drives
Motherboard SATA, 2 Hard Drives connected to the onboard controller
2 x 250GB 7,200rpm 3.5inch SATA hard drive
Static Rapid Rail

On everyone’s behalf I’d like to thank the committee (including past members) for providing the coordination and drive that has brought this long-standing issue to resolution, but once again, most importantly, thanks to all of you who have in any way contributed to this.  You will have seen in other threads that there has been some success in broadcasting the Club Arnage “brand”: it’s reassuring to know that the server will be man enough to cope if we were to get an influx of new members as a result.
Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 01:06:52 am »

Thanks for that info Geoff.
Its good to hear we are still moving forward to keep CA alive. I for one arepriud to be a member of an excellent fans web based forum such as thatcares and shares.

Andy
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 08:25:10 am »

Good news indeed.

Just out of interest tho, what are the server costs to us or total website costs)?  ie.  How much money does CA have to raise annually to keep it running? 

I saw on a thread somewhere a while back that we had a figure of £2000 approx in the server fund which would keep us running for another year - so does that mean we have to raise £2000 a year on a ongoing basis?

F
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 01:39:35 pm »

Fran, you remember correctly that in February, I posted that we had just over £2000 in the kitty - a bit more now from the proceeds of t-shirt sales.  I also stated at that time :

"The Fund-Raising Committee set itself an initial objective to build up a fund which would keep CA afloat for a rolling 12 months period, and we feel that this objective has been achieved.  The objective now is to maintain the fund at that level, hopefully by the sale of merchandise and other similar initiatives rather than waving the begging-bowl around.

It is difficult to state a particular time-scale ........because the amounts demanded from us vary considerably. "

It was obvious from the outset that there would probably be a significant outlay to upgrade or replace the server, and whilst a sum of money was not exactly set aside for it, it was 'factored in'.  I'm pleased to say that, barring 'force majeure' of course, there is still enough in the kitty to keep CA going for (at least) the next 12 months - as we do not expect the running costs to CA to be anywhere near £2000 per annum.

Smokie mentioned that  Club Arnage will retain ownership of this new equipment, and I think it apposite here to quote from Dave Davies, referring to the acquisition:

" ........in fact I pleases me very much that CA forum is still strong enough to organise this activity"

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 01:48:28 pm »

I'll echo the thank you from us ornery types to the committee for making this possible
 Smiley
great news Smokie and all

bill

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 01:58:12 pm »

Thanks to everyone involved in this

Cheers

Werner

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 02:08:38 pm »

Good work all and thanks to everyone concerned.

That includes all those who have, helped, advised, contributed (financially or otherwise), slaved and encouraged along the way.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
paulydee
CA Veteran

D'Oh!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 09:47:35 pm »

This lavish outlay was in no way connected to the fact that when I tried to access this very site earlier this evening all i could get was links on where to buy Bentleys???  Grin

I even tried Clubarnarge.com but that didn't work either....   Wink

Good work team, thanks for keeping the site up & running for the forseeable future.
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 10:33:55 pm »

Well done everyone.

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 09:53:39 pm »

I have the shiny new sever.  :-)

Due to the fact that they would only ship to the Card Holder address I put it on my card and so it was shipped to me.  I now have to get it Djet but I can't do that until Monday.  So over the weekend I'll be putting the OS on ready Lennart to take over but he will be able to hit the road running.

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 01:03:36 pm »

Great, Tom.  Arrived a bit sooner than expected.

Are you going to meet up with Lennart, or just drop the kit off?

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 02:21:19 pm »

Lennart is going to pick most likely.  It depends on my engagements on Monday.

I've installed the OS and boy is it quick.  The only problem is it make a lot of noise.  So I can't really have it running for long cos it does my head in.

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 02:48:55 pm »

I love getting new toys... Tongue Tongue

Most recent addition to the family was the 160Gb iPod which I thought I'd easily fill -not so, even with a couple of movies!! A while back there was the device which allows you to use USB external drives as network drives - now a redundant paper weight. Still trying to fill the 1Tb drive I bought in Florida. Oh, and today's treat was two more Virgin Plus boxes - goodbye Sky at last!!

Have a fun weekend with it Tom...   Grin
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 03:22:01 pm »

The only problem is it make a lot of noise.  So I can't really have it running for long cos it does my head in.

t.

Sounds like you bought the female version Tom

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 06:21:10 am »

I love getting new toys... Tongue Tongue

Most recent addition to the family was the 160Gb iPod which I thought I'd easily fill -not so, even with a couple of movies!! A while back there was the device which allows you to use USB external drives as network drives - now a redundant paper weight. Still trying to fill the 1Tb drive I bought in Florida. Oh, and today's treat was two more Virgin Plus boxes - goodbye Sky at last!!

Have a fun weekend with it Tom...   Grin
Hi Smokie,
               Been a while since I had a Virgin and I've never had a Virgin Plus what ever that is.Not sure I could handle TWO at this stage. Is the Sky still blue  Grin
Canada Phil
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: