Club Arnage
June 27, 2024, 07:44:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LPG Autogas  (Read 3134 times)
Ferrari Spider

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2008, 02:00:46 pm »

we've had a few threads recently about LPG, pros and cons, variety that is available in France and getting across on the ferry.

Continuing with this theme has anyone out there had experience of autogas LPG, seems readily available at two fuel stations in Arnarge, you only pay for what you put in the tank and would seem to be the answer to using gas on the campsite.

any views?
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 03:12:28 pm »

Not quite sure what you're suggesting here, Peter.

A regular gas bottle cannot be refilled from an autogas refuelling point - different fittings etc.

If you mean can you extract the LPG from a car properly converted to run on LPG, the answer is still no, for two reasons.  a) The take-off from a regular gas bottle is from the top, ie the gas-filled space in the bottle, while the car system takes it's supply from (near) the bottom of the tank, ie the liquid.  This is converted to gas by a far more complicated 'regulator' - called (funnily enough) a converter, which also has some of the mechanisms to control the flow of gas to the engine.  b)  There is a valve on the take-off from the tank which is only open when the ignition is on and, in some cases, automatically shuts down if the engine revs drop below a certain point.

These problems could of course be overcome at some expense, but unless you knew what it's about, it could be very dangerous.

Autogas is also a peculiar mix of propane and butane, and to try and find a regulator which would supply the gas at the pressure required by your camping stove would be tricky.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 04:56:48 pm »

See what you're getting at now - I didn't know these kits were available.  Can you give me a link for a look-see?

I don't know how cost effective these are - don't forget you get less autogas for your £ or € because of road fuel duty.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Black Granny
CA Veteran

Please give generously, You know it makes sense!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 05:04:02 pm »

I've seen these kits at my local camping and caravan store. Have looked at them as my car is converted to run on LPG. You get a cylinder that looks like a standrd gas cylinder that is plumbed into the filling system on the car so it fills the container as well as the car tank. The cylinder is then detachable for use remotely from the car. No experience of how camping equipment eg cookers and fridges etc run on this gas. I think the kit provides a regulator to fit the cylinder. Need someone experienced in fitting gas equipment to do the plumbing in to the car system and space in the boot for the cylinder.

Mines a Gin & Tonic
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 05:34:10 pm »

Had a look at the re-fillable bottles - not cheap!

The problem is that they are plumbed into a 'fixed' installation.  On car conversions, the filling point had to be* fixed - usually a 75mm hole was drilled in the bodywork and the filler valve** was fixed in that hole.  In a caravan, it looks very similar, also ensuring that if there is any leak, then it does not vent into the caravan itself.

*  I say 'had to be' - that was the case when I was in the game a few years back - from the look of the diagrams, that still appears to be the case.

**  Filler valve - it is exactly that.  It is not just a connection point, it is also a valve that is opened by the pressure of the re-filling pump.

Also, there are several different types of filler adaptor out there - the 'standard' screw-on one in France is totally different from the bayonet type used in the UK, although adaptors for each type are available (more cost).

I think the system BG describes above is a distict possibility, but the starting point there is a car already converted to run on LPG.

Edit:  Forgot to say that on reflection, the new 30mbar regulators should cope OK with the autogas mixture - I was thinking of the older 28mbar (butane) and 37mbar (propane) regulators.

Del
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 05:46:35 pm by DelBoy » Logged

Team Delboy Racing
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 06:26:53 pm »

Peter

From what I can see, as a minimum you will need:

Cylinder, filler kit, bracket, French adapter - this comes to £190.  You will also need a regulator, adapter and a hose for the take-off from the cylinder......and of course the gas.

A full 15kg cylinder of any make supplied in France will probably cost you £30-40 at the most, including deposit and regulator (the one I bought a few years back was £22 all in).  The bottle could be left for the pikeys (after suitable booby-trapping of course), but keep the regulator.

For the sort of money you are talking about for the 'fixed' system, I'd buy a generator in the UK (£120 for 2.5KVA) which will run the fridges, freezers, the lights and the toaster, and take a 907 bottle for the gas ring.

Your call.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: