Club Arnage
September 23, 2024, 02:15:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LPG at Le Mans  (Read 8153 times)
Ferrari Spider

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2008, 07:31:51 pm »

sorry if this has been covered before Grin

What manner of LPG is available at Le Mans, Propane/Butane?  Which type/size of valve would the cylinders accept?  and the final query is, where might spare supplies be obtained during a busy LM?

Many thanks for your kind attention and sensible replies Cool
nickliv
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 07:41:33 pm »

IIRC the regulators are different, but inexpensive. As for stockists, I am led to believe from the BM forums that Carrefour will provide.
paulydee
CA Veteran

D'Oh!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 07:59:18 pm »

From what i can remember when we swapped a bottle for JPC a few years back, Carrefour stock loads of Camping Gaz bottles, but they have about a £10 surcharge if you don't have the handle on the top (maybe someone else can confirm). I assume you'll get charged that on top for your first bottle. See http://www.campingaz.com/sunbeam/distribution/index_cartridge.htm and search for Le Mans. Regulators to suit Camping Gaz bottles are readily available from outdoor stores over here if you want to get sorted before you go.
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 08:12:42 pm »

Many thanks for your kind attention and sensible replies Cool

What?

- Take all fun away!  Grin

If you're going through hell, keep going.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:37:53 pm »

Almost any reasonably-sized supermarket stock camping gaz  907 904 and the smaller cartridges.  They used to be cheaper than the UK, but who knows with the exchange rate what it is.  There was a problem a couple of years ago when there was a complete dearth of refils in the LM area - all supermarches had sold out and I eventually got one in a small 'outdoor' shop in Arnage.  If you are taking an empty bottle back, go first to the accueil in the supermarket where they will take the empty and give you a ticket that you present to the checkout to save you having to pay the deposit (again).

You will not get refills for any other bottle that is available in the UK (Calor, Flogas etc) as, as has effectively already been pointed out, the regulators are unique to each manufacturer.  In an emergency, there is a plentiful supply of the larger bottles from supermarkets, garages etc, but you will have to pay a deposit on the bottle plus buy a regulator.

Summary:  Stick with Camping Gaz or take enough with you.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 09:53:26 pm »

Refilling would take too long during a pitstop, so I guess that's why the ACO won't allow it Undecided

Grin

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 10:54:02 am »

Peter, as Paulydee says, Camping Gaz is available at most supermarkets.

What we did last year though was to get some "local" cylinders and regulators. Much cheaper to refill, and very cheap to obtain (certainly compared to the UK!)

I can't remember exact costs, but it was something like €25 for the Full Cylinder, Regulator and the Cylinder deposit for a large Butane bottle.

This was from the petrol station at Carrefour!
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 11:20:32 am »

Mark, what size of cylinder would that be?

Thinking of running the chilling and cooking from gas, to save on the malarkey of a petrol generator and gas, its never easy.

Got a full 30 man ex-army field kitchen to bring along, might be a bit of overkill. Grin

Are you cooking for the whole of Houx Annexe Peter???

It was the large cylinder. I can never remember what weight is which but 15Kg seems to ring a bell. it's the same size as goes into a Patio Heater.

Our's are stored in France. We ran the Gas BBQ off one and there was still plenty left at the end of the week. Also used one for the Turkey Fryer and one for the Scottle. Both of those are probably at elast 3/4 full still!
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 11:35:40 am »

The mincer will come in useful  Grin

Steve East Anglian cobras

LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 12:08:42 pm »

Peter, any chances of getting a similar kit somewhere?

Might be usefull with a group of 30. Grin

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 12:12:16 pm »

The mincer will come in useful  Grin

You take one if you like but don't bring it anywhere near our camp

* julian clary.jpg (35.72 KB, 300x444 - viewed 304 times.)

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 01:41:05 pm »

Peter, any chances of getting a similar kit somewhere?

Might be usefull with a group of 30. Grin

probably at an army-dump-store, and then buy all they have on the shelf

Shocked

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 02:33:16 pm »

I know where you can get these, but I didn't realise they included "2 x slutted serving spoons"  20% off at the minute             

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Buck Bundy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 06:33:01 pm »

Refilling would take too long during a pitstop, so I guess that's why the ACO won't allow it Undecided
Grin

As LPG has only 80% of the calorific value of petrol, then you would have an engine 80% down on power for the same fuel consumption. Sad

Remember fuel consumption is actually slightly worse on LPG, but the fact that it's much cheaper to buy means people quote an equivalent fuel consumption figure. But when has cost bothered a race team? Roll Eyes

Buck

DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 06:53:30 pm »

As LPG has only 80% of the calorific value of petrol, then you would have an engine 80% down on power for the same fuel consumption. Sad

Remember fuel consumption is actually slightly worse on LPG, but the fact that it's much cheaper to buy means people quote an equivalent fuel consumption figure. But when has cost bothered a race team? Roll Eyes

Buck

You're partly right, Buck.  The calorific value of LPG is less than that for petrol, but against that, as LPG is a gas (rather than a vapour as with petrol) you get a much more complete 'burn' of the fuel in the cylinder (which is also why LPG is much 'cleaner').  Ok, the net result is that LPG is still down against petrol, but not by that figure.  Depending on the engine, the LPG equipment etc, it can be as little as 5%.

This is for 'road' cars - I have no experience or data relating to 'tuned' engines.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: