Club Arnage
September 25, 2024, 12:31:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM to race in Gulf colours  (Read 21459 times)
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 02:09:24 pm »

An open question to all of you that like the Aston in Gulf colours.

Imagine this.

Your circumstances are such that you are in a position to be able to cash buy a DBR9. This is a dream come true. You intend to cruise down to Le Mans in it, turn up on the campsite on Wednesday morning and watch the admiring looks as you proudly park it next to lesser cars. You feel absolutely fantastic. You have driven to the World's greatest motor race in one of the World's greatest cars.

A week earlier you arrived at the Aston dealer and he had a choice of two.

One is in a beautiful shade of metallic green that perfectly reflects the history and racing heritage of a famous British marque. A colour that will always be associated with British motor sport.

The other is in a Putrid wishy washy gay hairdresser shade of sky blue.

Which one ya gonna buy?

Imagine this...

Its the 1950's  you own a famous british sports car manufacturer,  you want to go racing,  now to choose a colour for your cars,  you are superstitious so green is out (and its Irish anyway), your wife likes a pale duck egg blue,  the first race is on her birthday, you want to go to the race but you know she will cause trouble, unless....  you paint the cars in her favourite colour....

40'odd years later someone wants to paint your cars green,  but it doesn't suit them as they've always been blue....

Anyway,

My cars are green (colour, not environmentally of course) plus I do like the DBR9's in Aston Racing (almond) Green, but then I also like the JetAlliance colour scheme too.  I quite like the DBR9's in Gulf colours, but it will be interesting to see how they "mark" the 2 cars as being different, easy when one has yellowy/green lipstick and the other red....

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 02:17:21 pm »

Yes, Astons should be in Aston Racing Green from a heritage point of view, but from an emotive point of view, it is just nice to see that Gulf colours will be going out on the track.  We've had them in recent years with the Porsche, McLaren, Audi R8, and an LMP2 car, and each time seeing them just adds a little something.  Yes, ini an ideal world GT40 Chassis 1075, that won twice in the Gulf colours, would be brought out of honourable retirement and Ickx would stroll across the track and win by a few yards.....but in the meantime, I'll just be happy to see the Astons out there in Gulf colours. Grin Grin

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 02:30:02 pm »

Which Aston dealer do you think would have TWO DBR9's for sale? It's obviously a lot posher up your neck of the woods than I thought  Wink

The only one I've found so far is here

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/13813/Aston_Martin_DBR9_Race_Car.html

But personally I wouldn't bother. It's LHD and doesn't even have a stereo  Shocked

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
Petra
Would rather still be a Newbie
CA Veteran

DfH member and proud owner of Albert CB!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2008, 02:35:24 pm »

Personally I wouldn't bother about a stereo. It would just get in the way of the beautiful sound of the engine.

2 cats, 6 rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, lots of mice, 1 syrian hamster, 1 chinchilla, a lot of fun!
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 07:21:27 pm »

Yes, Astons should be in Aston Racing Green from a heritage point of view, but from an emotive point of view, it is just nice to see that Gulf colours will be going out on the track.  We've had them in recent years with the Porsche, McLaren, Audi R8, and an LMP2 car, and each time seeing them just adds a little something.  Yes, ini an ideal world GT40 Chassis 1075, that won twice in the Gulf colours, would be brought out of honourable retirement and Ickx would stroll across the track and win by a few yards.....but in the meantime, I'll just be happy to see the Astons out there in Gulf colours. Grin Grin

MG Mark

Porsche 917 does it for me over the GT40 anytime Mark  Wink

* Porsche 917 418-13.jpg (96.36 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 301 times.)

* Porsche 917 418-14.jpg (137.84 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 380 times.)

Steve East Anglian cobras

Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

it's all a bit much at my age.... Ich Habe.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2008, 03:05:02 am »

Your circumstances are such that you are in a position to be able to cash buy a DBR9.
[...]
[...]
   Which one ya gonna buy?

I'd buy the one that is quicker to be delivered, then race it off to the nearest car painter and have it painted a beautiful shade of metallic pink Cool
Lady PP totally agrees with the above colour choice. Does anyone have the skills to doctor a pic of the Gulf liveried DB9 into House of Colours pinks in contrasting shades to keep the lovely ladies happy?
Petra... I think you will like something lady PP got for Christmas... and its not rude or dirty!
PP

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2008, 12:15:04 pm »

Yup, Steve, with you every time.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
rdjones
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2008, 05:25:37 pm »

I was at the show on Thursday and was at the unveiling and the car look the dog's you know what.

Here's a few more pics of the car

nickliv
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2008, 09:36:42 pm »

I saw it in the flesh on Saturday, and it does look quite good. At least we'll be able to spot the factory cars from a distance.

Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 10:27:33 am »

I still think it looks great.

I will probably be accused of being a Satanist or worse, but IMHO the factory cars looked a bit dull in BRG Shocked

Dare I suggest that BRG looks great on the classic race cars, but does not look so good on modern cars. Shocked

(Barry now runs for the deepest bunker he can find to avoid the flak Grin)
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 10:46:38 am »

only pic i got as every berk in the place kept walking in front of me Sad  Angry

Petra
Would rather still be a Newbie
CA Veteran

DfH member and proud owner of Albert CB!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2008, 11:31:24 am »

I still don't like the way they put the orange on the car. And I guess the ACO is responsible for the number being in a square rather than a circle?

PS: is it just the pictures or have they really chosen the wrong shade of orange? It looks to me to be too light, should be a bit darker and duller.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 11:34:51 am by Petra » Logged

2 cats, 6 rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, lots of mice, 1 syrian hamster, 1 chinchilla, a lot of fun!
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2008, 11:54:12 am »

PS: is it just the pictures or have they really chosen the wrong shade of orange? It looks to me to be too light, should be a bit darker and duller.

The blue doesn't look right either, maybe it's the harsh lighting in the exhibition hall.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2008, 12:50:50 pm »

It looks like the paint shop used an old faded photo for the colours.  The 1960/70s and more recent colours and are a lot lighter than the real ones e.g. the Gulf MacLaren colours of ten year ago, and a lot better, but this looks so bleached

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 01:08:11 pm »

And this ..... lovely

* img03.jpg (16.27 KB, 267x156 - viewed 404 times.)

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: