Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 08:13:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UK chooses 'most ludicrous laws'  (Read 3922 times)
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

To add speed, just add lightness.

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2007, 09:18:50 am »

From the BBC......

A little-known law which prohibits people dying while in the Houses of Parliament has been voted the UK's most ludicrous piece of legislation.
Another law which states it is treason to use a postage stamp upside down was placed in second place by those polled by UKTV Gold.

The most absurd international law was judged to be in the US state of Ohio, where it is illegal to get fish drunk.

The 3,931 people asked selected the laws from a shortlist of bizarre rules.

A total of 27% of those questioned thought the law against dying in the Houses of Parliament was the most absurd, while 7% voted for the legislation banning placing postage stamps upside down.

In third place, with 6%, came a law stating that only a clerk in a tropical fish store has permission to be topless in public in Liverpool.

Driving blindfolded

Other lesser-known laws making the top 10 included one banning eating mince pies on Christmas Day and another stating it is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour.

Almost half of those asked confessed to breaking the mince pie law, which was brought in by Oliver Cromwell in the 17th Century.

The unusual international laws on the list included legislation against naming a pig Napoleon in France, driving while wearing a blindfold in Alabama and unmarried women parachuting on a Sunday.

The Law Society last year revealed other bizarre UK laws still in existence on the statute book.

They included a ban on firing a cannon close to a dwelling house (Met Police Act 1839); a ban on the use of any slide upon ice or snow (Town Police Clauses Act 1847); and the prohibition of driving cattle through the streets of London (Metropolitan Streets Act 1867).

Dead whales

The UK's top 10 most ridiculous British laws were listed as:

1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27%)

2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down (7%)

3. It is illegal for a woman to be topless in Liverpool except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (6%)

4. Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned (5%)

5. If someone knocks on your door in Scotland and requires the use of your toilet, you are required to let them enter (4%)

6. In the UK a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman's helmet (4%)

7. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen (3.5%)

8. It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (3%)

9. It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour (3%)

10. It is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls of York, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (2%)
False teeth

Other bizarre foreign laws voted by those polled included:

In Ohio, it is illegal to get a fish drunk (9%)

In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation (8%)

A male doctor in Bahrain can only examine the genitals of a woman in the reflection of a mirror (7%)

In Switzerland, a man may not relieve himself standing up after 10pm (6%)

It is illegal to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle in Alabama (6%)

In Florida, unmarried women who parachute on a Sunday could be jailed (6%)

Women in Vermont must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth (6%)

In Milan, it is a legal requirement to smile at all times, except during funerals or hospital visits (5%)

In France, it is illegal to name a pig Napoleon (4%)

Le Mans is for the week......not just 24hrs!

When life throws you lemons, bring out the tequila!!

Vodka! Cheaper than Botox and paralyses more muscles!
knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 01:41:45 pm »

In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation (8%)

I wonder which "head" they decapitate Huh

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 04:07:20 pm »

8. It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (3%)

[/quote]

I have to say that I think this law could be very useful. Next time I fill in my tax return perhaps I should simply write 'I wish you to know everything there is to know about issues appertaining to my tax status.' And leave at that - given that I would not be obliged by law to tell 'him' what those details are.  Grin
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 04:44:06 pm »

I have to say that I think this law could be very useful. Next time I fill in my tax return perhaps I should simply write 'I wish you to know everything there is to know about issues appertaining to my tax status.' And leave at that - given that I would not be obliged by law to tell 'him' what those details are.  Grin
[/quote]

Oh no, it's a good theory but I afraid he'd see atraight through a cheap trick like that. Trust me....

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:14:39 am »

Does this mean I have to give him full details of my visits to the Lavatory?      I really don't want to disclose that sort of information to anyone.   (Present Company excluded of course :-)

Inquireing minds need to know.

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 02:28:37 am »

I thought this was 2007, not 1984!!!

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 04:47:06 pm »

Oh no, it's a good theory but I afraid he'd see atraight through a cheap trick like that. Trust me....
[/quote]

I suspect you are right Mr Zarse. I would not be able to make it stick mostly because I would not have the balls to try it. But the law is the law. I do not remember who coined the phrase 'the law is an arse' but I understand that is/was uttered as a result of frustration resulting from the fact that it seemed to so often work against 'us common folk.' It is fun to think that from time to time it could be turned to work in our favour. If as our CA friend suggests that the above noted is indeed on the statute book, then as a point of law it could be argued there is f+ck all that our noble friends at the C&IR could do about it. Sadly it would take a bigger man than I to find out. Any volunteers?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 05:48:11 pm by monkey » Logged
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 05:51:05 am »

(Town Police Clauses Act 1847 - Great bit of legislation. Even involves knocking on peoples door in public being an offence.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 04:05:13 am »

I suspect you are right Mr Zarse. I would not be able to make it stick mostly because I would not have the balls to try it. But the law is the law. I do not remember who coined the phrase 'the law is an arse' but I understand that is/was uttered as a result of frustration resulting from the fact that it seemed to so often work against 'us common folk.' It is fun to think that from time to time it could be turned to work in our favour. If as our CA friend suggests that the above noted is indeed on the statute book, then as a point of law it could be argued there is f+ck all that our noble friends at the C&IR could do about it. Sadly it would take a bigger man than I to find out. Any volunteers?
[/quote]

A few of us a few years ago took the then IR to the High Court over the IR35 legislation twice (Judical Review & Appeal). It cost us a frigging fortune and we LOST big time.

My picture was almost A4 size in The Times. I'll post the article/link when I find it.

If you want to fight them, carry on. Been there, done that, read the book and got the frigging Tshirt. I also got the second call on my property and a frigging big overdraft.

However, just to get an insight, just type in 'SHOUT99' into your brouser (yep, it's a good old rugby term).

Leftie. Real name with held to protect the innocent

We tried, but with 'tame' judges,

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: