Club Arnage
June 29, 2024, 07:10:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips for my Italy Trip?  (Read 7781 times)
suthvid

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2007, 08:01:55 pm »

Hello to all,

I will be working in Rome next week and will have two days off to do some exploring, not much I know (I will also be of little budget).  I'm thinking of renting a car and either making a run to Maranello to gaze at the Ferrari factory, or possible all the way to Monza to visit the banking.  Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially routes and lodging. I speak no itialian. I will also have the video camera with me, don't know if they would allow me shots of the banking or anything else of interest to us all.

Thanks and "Ciao Baby"

John
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 08:19:04 pm »

Ferarri own Mugelo (I think) worthwhile asking for a view.

No. 1 buy is dictionary.

Jerry

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 08:38:23 pm »

I believe Rome to Milan (Monza) is about a four hour drive with expensive toll roads, and -especially in cities- the Italians are not the most pleasant people as soon as they get behind the wheel of a car. It might be worth checking train fares if you're on a budget, from Milan to Monza there is good public transport available. The only thing you might get a little stuck with is combining Maranello (or Mugello) with the Rome - Milan trip as for public transport.
Good luck and have fun!

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
helmetpurple
CA Veteran

old timer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 08:51:30 pm »

Rome to Milan is about 4 hours if you drive like most Italians and ignore the speed limt.  I did it the Porker last summer but it still took five hours.  Dont forget you still need to stop for fuel, you and the car. 

Thats in a UK reg car where at the momet you cant get done for speeding unless you are stopped by the Highway Patrol.  On the A1 there are SPEC cameras on the gantries and with an Italian Hire car they could find you.

Italians are not the mad drivers they are made out to be, apart from in Rome. 

Its about 35 YoYos in Tolls each way which is a lot cheaper than French Tolls.  The streatch from Bologne to Milan is just one long straight boring drag strip

Le Mans  ~ The meaning of life
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 09:41:22 pm »

Okay, that's a bit more detailed Roll Eyes

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Male Underwear Super Model Two BEERS Please

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 09:52:31 pm »

When in Rome,do as the Romans. Grin

TURN 10 "YOUR SPOT IN THE SUN"

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 09:54:12 pm »

Italians are not the mad drivers they are made out to be, apart from in Rome. 

They are quite exciting in Sicily and Sardinia!

Grin
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 11:41:41 am »

John,

Having done a "grand tour" this summer, if you're going from Rome, IMHO, it might be a bit far to get to Milan if you want to actuallly get out and do or see stuff.  However, Modena is in much easier reach, with the Ferrari aspects already posted, plus you are slap bang in Maserati, Lamborghini, Pagani and Ducati factory territory as well, which are all worth seeing.  As part of the trip, unless the weather is completely rubbish, I suggest as a real "must" is that you plan your route after Modena back to Rome to take you down the old national road from Bologna to Florence, climbing over the Passo di Futa and the Passo di Raticosa - the old Mille Miglia route.  Fantastic driving road (whatever you are in), fantastic scenery, rewarded by an awesome view of Florence as you come over the hills.  Lord only knows how Moss averaged nigh on 100mph, even in a 300SLR in the '55 Mille Miglia.  If you have time, there is the Mugello circuit a little to the north-east of Florence if there is anything going on there.  Follow that by driving through the Tuscany hills to get back to Rome.  Drink wine.  Eat olives.  Enjoy.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 02:29:49 pm »

"Italians are not the mad drivers they are made out to be, apart from in Rome." and even worse in Napels!

On the autostrada 1 rule to remember is that the inside lane is for slow traffic the middle lane for fast traffic and the out side lane for overtaking i.e fing quick stuff. But autostada driving is a doddle, I was out there a few years back I drove the A4 autostrada from Vernoa to Milan, I had a big Audi thing behind me and a big BMW thing in front and couple of others we were crusing at some what more that the speed limt, there was no tailgating and none one from the middle lane tryed to fill the gap, just a steady very fast speed.

If you are in Rome, the main local wine is Frascati, dont panic its not all rubbish, also look out for Est Est Est. Enjoy.

knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 03:16:02 pm »

Est Est Est is a nice wine if you are in to very sweet stuff. When chilled properly it is very good to drink on a warm summers day, or even a warm autumn's day! It is originates somewhere from the Pau planes, do not know exactly were!

Modena does sound like a good option for you, about a 2-3 hours drive on the autostrada, close to bologna and Ferrara (beautifull medieval town). Enjoy

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 02:55:40 am »

As part of the trip, unless the weather is completely rubbish, I suggest as a real "must" is that you plan your route after Modena back to Rome to take you down the old national road from Bologna to Florence, climbing over the Passo di Futa and the Passo di Raticosa - the old Mille Miglia route.  Fantastic driving road (whatever you are in), fantastic scenery, rewarded by an awesome view of Florence as you come over the hills.  Lord only knows how Moss averaged nigh on 100mph, even in a 300SLR in the '55 Mille Miglia.  If you have time, there is the Mugello circuit a little to the north-east of Florence if there is anything going on there.  Follow that by driving through the Tuscany hills to get back to Rome.  Drink wine.  Eat olives.  Enjoy.

MG Mark
[/quote]
 Hi John,
           More good advice from Mark. Please Video the return to Rome.AND bring it to Sebring for us to view it.
Envious Phil
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 01:49:54 pm »

I can recommend spending a day in both Siena and Florence. Siena is about halfway from Rome to Florence and the road from Siena to Florence going through the Chianti district is absolutely awesome.
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 02:02:51 pm »

Wait a minute..you only have two days off. I'd spend it in Rome.
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 02:42:45 pm »

Wait a minute..you only have two days off. I'd spend it in Rome.

I agree, drink, watch the world go by, drink, chase woman, drink, dance and drink,

What better plan can there be?

Or as they say " When in Rome" -  Grin

If you're going through hell, keep going.
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 02:49:22 pm »

Or if you want a good laugh, try one of these (they do Florance and Rome)

Did one in Paris, what a great 1/2 day. So easy to drive and great smiles all round.

Web site, is http://www.segwayfirenze.com/rometours.asp

Not sure how they are compared to Paris, but worth a look.

And just released by segway -
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 12:07:13 am by nopanic - neil » Logged

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: