Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 10:20:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Theft of images  (Read 11695 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: September 12, 2007, 09:53:28 am »

A word of caution for all those that post images on the web.

I have just been told of a someone on Germany that is selling a CD-Rom on ebay containing over 6000 photos and race details.

The only problem is seems that he has lifted the photos from various sites, including mine.

While not the crime of the century, it is nevertheless very annoying, so if anyone wants the info this guy is selling I can point them in the direction of various pages were the info can be got for free.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 10:02:49 am »

Do you have a linky linky so that we can check out whether he's lifted any of KK's?? 
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 10:06:46 am »

It's, pretty much, to be expected.
Short of adding watermarks or security software to limit downloading of images, there's little that can be done to prevent this.  
I upload my images to a public sharing site in the full knowledge that once they are up there, I have no influence on what is done with them.  That one (or more) individuals then decide to profit from me is just one of those inevitable 21st century nuances.

I could stop uploading but I do so in the spirit of not for profit sharing with other interested individuals.  That's the whole ethos of the www.

To those who are buying these images - caveat emptor.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 10:09:54 am »

I have just been told of a someone on Germany that is selling a CD-Rom on ebay containing over 6000 photos and race details.

The only problem is seems that he has lifted the photos from various sites, including mine.

While not the crime of the century, it is nevertheless very annoying, so if anyone wants the info this guy is selling I can point them in the direction of various pages were the info can be got for free.

Hi Nordic,

can you post or pm me a link to that ebay-offer - I could write to e-bay Germany - Once they are aware of such things those offers are usually deleted.

Edited: Is it this one: http://cgi.ebay.de/LE-MANS-24-HOURS-1949-2007-DATABASE-6000-PICS-CD-1-43_W0QQitemZ330161880502QQihZ014QQcategoryZ101755QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seller is listed as non-commercial -what a joke.
Nordic - Which pics exactly are on that CD which are stolen from your site?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:14:41 am by Werner » Logged

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 10:16:59 am »

I once had a guy lift an image of my car off the web (that I had taken) and put it in a calendar which he was selling on American ebay. the problem was that he used my image of my car as the main one in the auction.
I sent him an email saying the least he could do was send me a calendar. the problem was that when it arrived the quality was so poor and the images so compressed.
It was a bit of a concern seeing a picture of my car on an ebay auction.

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 10:28:35 am »

Hi Nordic,

can you post or pm me a link to that ebay-offer - I could write to e-bay Germany - Once they are aware of such things those offers are usually deleted.

Edited: Is it this one: http://cgi.ebay.de/LE-MANS-24-HOURS-1949-2007-DATABASE-6000-PICS-CD-1-43_W0QQitemZ330161880502QQihZ014QQcategoryZ101755QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thats the one Werner,

He is using this image http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p2765394.html on the ebay advert. Without buying the cd I do not know how many others he has lifted, but i do know that he has taken others from other people.

I suspect he has used the RacingSportsCars website as the source.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 10:46:26 am »

Hi Nordic,

Thats the one Werner,

He is using this image http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p2765394.html on the ebay advert. Without buying the cd I do not know how many others he has lifted, but i do know that he has taken others from other people.

I suspect he has used the RacingSportsCars website as the source.

And he can't claim ignorance as there is no doubt that that image is clearly copyrite

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:47:24 am »

Hi Nordic,

I've written (in German and English) to the seller and asked him to remove this offer within the next 4 hours from the web, next step will be a letter to ebay. He is using the mail-address "lemans24hr@aol.com"

Not sure whether it's a german or english seller though, although listed as a german private seller, he's quoting in british pounds and the description is in English

Let's see what happens

hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 10:56:44 am »

Hi Nordic,

it's also offered on the ebay UK site at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LE-MANS-24-HOURS-1949-2007-DATABASE-6000-PICS-CD-1-43_W0QQitemZ330161880502QQihZ014QQcategoryZ101755QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

May be a parallel complaint to ebay UK from your side will speed up things a little

Cheers

Werner

Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 11:16:25 am »

It might be worth one of our French speakers nudging the ACO if he's reproducing things which have the 24 hour logo on it.  They are usually pretty hot on these issues.

Is there any kind of German trading standards who might look at this if alerted? 
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 11:20:34 am »

Piglet, do you know the correct person to contact (e-mail if poss as I'm leaving for S/Stn in the morning) at the ACO?

Approaching e-bay is worthwhile.  Mr T has had great success in having a number of dubious sellers removed in this way.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 11:25:59 am »

Is there any kind of German trading standards who might look at this if alerted? 

Don't know, will check. This seller is marked as private but the offer is clearly commercial. If we really want to kick his/her ass, it's best to report this offer to the German tax authorities, they have no mercy Grin Grin Grin

JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sűrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 11:33:43 am »

Well, whether you post to pic sharing sites (or here!) or not, the copyright remains with the photographer and what this seller is doing is theft, pure and simple. You can get lots of info on copywright issues from places such as photographers direct etc.

However, if your images are in there, the seller is making a profit from your work and owes you a royalty payment, simple. Complain to ebay (mention that they are facilitating copyright theft) and also complain to AOL as he is using theor service for theft (you may like to emphesise this point to AOL). You could also contact the seller directly and ask for his IBAN (bank) details as if you wanted to make a payment, then contact his bank and again, inform them they are facilitating theft - the bank MUST then do something about it once notified, it's required of them by their regulators (even if the ignore it long term, they have to make an investigation which will be a PITA for the owner of the account!). If you have the equivilent of trading standards, complain to them as well and (if the seller is in the UK) you can sue him via moneydirect (HM Courts) even if your not resident in the UK (bit draconian I agree, but I've sued people over ebay stuff and won too!)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 11:36:14 am by JDS » Logged
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 11:48:34 am »

Ohhh Good point about contacting his bank JDS, under the EU Money Laundering Reg's they must take action if they believe he may be evading tax.   Grin

I'm almost tempted to buy one and trawl through it to see who's images I can find, especially if he hasn't tried hard to take the watermarks off them...
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 11:52:22 am »

Actually there is another point for media accredited snappers, were the ACO to get hold of this they may assume that the snappers have co-operated which would be in breach of their media status. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: