Club Arnage
September 25, 2024, 11:20:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your first driving experience  (Read 9908 times)
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2007, 04:56:02 pm »

Following on from Dr Sconefingers wonderfull first motorsport thread, I thought I'd tell you about my first driving experience.
Quite a late starter at eleven years of age compared to many but very memorable.
How many other people can claim their first time time driving behind the wheel of a car was in the crater of a volcano. At the base of Mount Teide in Tenerife.
The only problem was avoiding the bolders, Needless to say it was a hire car.

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 05:13:01 pm »

Sitting on my Dad's lap, steering the old Anglebox round a disused airfield somewhere near Leeds, with him changing gear!

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 05:16:41 pm »

First driving experience - ... don't remember, may be I was drunk Grin

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 05:20:22 pm »

Driving my buddy's 3 litre Ford Capri around Stonebarrow (near to Charmouth) in Dorset, late at night  Grin   

Not sure how old I was - perhaps 14 or 15 so positively ancient by most folks standards I imagine! 
rcutler
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 05:30:20 pm »

Aged 4 or 5 letting the handbrake off my Dad's Camper while on the circular ramp at Harwich Port. Rolled backwards and I steered it round the corner until Dad grabbed the handbrake! Grin
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 05:49:29 pm »

Probably around 3-4 years of age in the much revered Austin J-40.

I'd just like to point out that it was not new when I had it as a boy, but not far off....

Wish I still had it.

* j40-1.jpg (175.06 KB, 981x825 - viewed 371 times.)

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Neal
CA Veteran

That's put the Halibut amongst the Iguanas

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 06:07:42 pm »

Could have been at Rufforth Debs, near Wetherby, sadly now all gone. They also used to have club meetings there IRCC
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 06:09:43 pm »

Sitting on my Dad's lap, steering the old Anglebox round a disused airfield somewhere near Leeds, with him changing gear!
Eyup Termie- ar tha a good old Yorkshire lass? My first was in an old van we had on the farm. I was supposed to be at a friends house but I waited in the bushes for dad to take our kid to the match and took it for a spin up the lane. Terrified me- it looked so easy! I was only 10. Very naughty Grin

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 06:20:32 pm »

Could have been at Rufforth Debs, near Wetherby, sadly now all gone. They also used to have club meetings there IRCC
It wasn't Rufforth - I know this for sure as I spent many a happy weekend there.  I see it's actually still there although not open to the public.  Would love to sneek back in one day!  I honestly cannot remember where it was and can no longer ask my dear old Dad who would have remembered.  But I do remember an old concrete runway with grass growing through it.  It can't have been very far from us (Alwoodley) as we used to nip over there on a regular basis for a spin!

Dr S - in fact no, I'm from the other side of the Pennines originally (as a good Yorkshireman, you probably won't speak to me again now!)

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
nickliv
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 06:50:10 pm »

in a Citroen visa van, (van blanc) in a hauliers yard behind my dads workshops. He told me all about the clutch and the accelerator.

So I drove the van directly into the nearest wall.

As you do when you're nine years old, and no one's ever mentioned the steering wheel or the brake pedal. Grin

Apparently the tears were coming straight out of my face, rather like the spitting image puppet of Gazza. Dad admits it was foolish to tell me how to go, but not steer or stop. IIRC the van was less than 1000 miles old. New wing, bumper, bonnet, and drivers door.

Oh I forgot. And a headlight. And indicator.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 07:03:53 pm by nickliv » Logged
mike(liverpool boys)
Club Arnage Demi God

If in doubt,flat out! - Colin McRae

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 08:00:51 pm »

C reg Renault 5 campus in a field at the farm when i was about 10 and then crushing it with the massey tractor when i was 12  Grin superb fun for a kid. us farm children were brought up driving and then giving the instructor a headache with all our bad habbits.

They have lumps of what round the back???
keithk
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 09:24:54 pm »

I had a peddle car when I was 5 ! Then a BSA bantam at about 9 my first car a Ford 100E in about 67 or 68 First race car Formula Ford at Thruxton in 75, first rally car Mini 970s in about 71 or 72
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 12:46:30 am »

Always did little manouvres at car parks when young, but I must have been about 13 when my dad let me drive his brand new Ford Sierra - somewhere '82/'83. I remember him not being happy bunny as I did about 70 mph on a (fairly straight) B-road, trying to catch up with a moped Undecided
He probably thought I didn't do all that bad after all, as he let me drive a bit of motorway a year later Wink

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 11:59:20 am »

I was 8 years old when my father used to take me to a big parking lot, early Sunday mornings, to take some driving lessons in an MG 1100. Saved him loads of money for my driving lessons 10 years later, so I can recommend it to anybody with kids.
knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 12:06:13 pm »

Must have been my electric powered motor cycle with side wheels at the age of 2 Grin

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: