Club Arnage
September 25, 2024, 01:21:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Binoculars  (Read 1977 times)
nickliv
« on: August 27, 2007, 06:11:57 pm »

Hello everyone.

My mum wants to buy some binoculars for my dad, but we don't really know much about them

Any info, and pointers gratefully received. Recommendaions also welcome, budget is £50 ish.

Ta.

Nick
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 07:13:14 pm »

Depends on what you want them for really.  A couple of bird-watching (of the feathered variety!) friends swear by Bushnells.  I've got a neat pair of Bausch and Lomb ones which are great for motor racing/dobbin racing etc - best thing about them is that they are small and light so I take them with me rather than leaving them at home all the time!

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/binoculars.asp

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 08:11:45 pm »

By no means an expert, but much will depend on whether there is a particular use in mind, or for general use in a number of different circumstances.  This might help narrow things down a bit http://www.outdoorgb.com/sshop/tech_info.asp?ID=238.  Basic advice would be:

1)  Unless they are going to be used in conjunction with a stand, go for a lightweight compact set, so that the arms don't get tired when using them.

2)  Work out some examples of what you want them for, and then work out how far away you will be viewing them from, and then how much detail you would want to see when magnified.  Then you can translate this info into an example that you might see in the High Street, like car number plates, so that if you then go somewhere like Jessops, you cant try different pairs to see what suits best.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: