Club Arnage
September 29, 2024, 04:20:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How It Was In '67  (Read 2123 times)
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2007, 04:35:52 pm »

One of my party, who has also been attending LM since '65, recently unearthed a brochure from the '67 event.

I showed it to a few people at this year's LM, and reproduce parts of it here for everyone's benefit.

Interesting to note, apart from the minor changes to the circuit from Arnage to the pit straight ( Cry Cry), is that there used to be an official viewing area at Hunaudieres!!  And look at the prices - cheapest entry ticket was 10 shillings

Del

Team Delboy Racing
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 06:45:40 pm »

One of my party, who has also been attending LM since '65, recently unearthed a brochure from the '67 event.

I showed it to a few people at this year's LM, and reproduce parts of it here for everyone's benefit.

Interesting to note, apart from the minor changes to the circuit from Arnage to the pit straight ( Cry Cry), is that there used to be an official viewing area at Hunaudieres!!  And look at the prices - cheapest entry ticket was 10 shillings

Del

It is interesting to see that copy Del. Can your 'party member' confirm whether there was actually a stand or a viewing area there? It looks like it might be around the area of the restaurant 24hours? I remember when I first started going in the Mid 80's there was official parking there, behind the cafe and some viewing albeit very limited. One year though, and it was as late as the early 1990's we turned up there bought a pint and actually sat outside the front of the cafe in the early evening of race night with nothing between us and the cars except a bit of chicken wire. It was great. A one off though sadly. When we went the next year, all of the viewing had been fenced off.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:47:36 pm by monkey » Logged
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 07:09:21 pm »

It is interesting to see that copy Del. Can your 'party member' confirm whether there was actually a stand or a viewing area there? It looks like it might be around the area of the restaurant 24hours? I remember when I first started going in the Mid 80's there was official parking there, behind the cafe and some viewing albeit very limited. One year though, and it was as late as the early 1990's we turned up there bought a pint and actually sat outside the front of the cafe in the early evening of race night with nothing between us and the cars except a bit of chicken wire. It was great. A one off though sadly. When we went the next year, all of the viewing had been fenced off.

We never actually got round to that part of the circuit in those days.  The first couple of years ('65 & 66), being poor (just) ex-students, we could only afford the 'billet unique', which was a one-entry ticket - ie you couldn't get out once you were in, unless you paid again.  For the next couple of years, we got the 'billet permenant' and went out to mulsanne and Arnage.  After that, we got the better tickets which allowed access to the pit straight.

It wasn't till the early 80s that we tried Hunaudieres, and as you say, there was just a bit of armco between you and the cars, but by that time, it wasn't an ACO area - part of the cafe/restaurant.

Anyway - memories are a bit vague - it was 40 years ago  Undecided Undecided

Del

Team Delboy Racing
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 07:15:23 pm »

We never actually got round to that part of the circuit in those days.  The first couple of years ('65 & 66), being poor (just) ex-students, we could only afford the 'billet unique', which was a one-entry ticket - ie you couldn't get out once you were in, unless you paid again.  For the next couple of years, we got the 'billet permenant' and went out to mulsanne and Arnage.  After that, we got the better tickets which allowed access to the pit straight.

It wasn't till the early 80s that we tried Hunaudieres, and as you say, there was just a bit of armco between you and the cars, but by that time, it wasn't an ACO area - part of the cafe/restaurant.

Anyway - memories are a bit vague - it was 40 years ago  Undecided Undecided

Del

[/quote]

Actually now I think about it, the parking was only 'official' in as much as there were a couple of stewards supervising the narrow entrance/exit to the car park. My fading memory cannot recall whether or not you actually had to have an official parking ticket to get into the parking area, and no one actually checked your ticket to get to the 'viewing area' that much I can remember.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: