Club Arnage
September 29, 2024, 08:29:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big new boats on the way!!!  (Read 10056 times)
Catchpole

Lets Go Racing

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 09:43:41 pm »

I can see the need for a carrier strike force, on a practical level, how on earth are we to protect them on operations?  Where are the Frigates and destroyers that are needed as Fleet protection?
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 09:55:55 pm »

Had a senior moment there, couldn't remember which of the "I"s was first, Invincible then!

We can always borrow other vessels from the rest of Europe of course, committed aint they?

Sad

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Catchpole

Lets Go Racing

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 10:04:09 pm »

Too true Bill, that is what happens when say NATO goes to war, it would be a mixed strike force, something like the Gulf at present, but during normal peace time, unless they are on exercise, we don't have enough surface ships to cover the need.  Belgium has more ships than us Huh
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 01:12:53 am »

Too true Bill, that is what happens when say NATO goes to war, it would be a mixed strike force, something like the Gulf at present, but during normal peace time, unless they are on exercise, we don't have enough surface ships to cover the need.  Belgium has more ships than us Huh

All we have now is the equiverlent to a 'Fisheries Protection Force'.

Bring back the Cod Wars and we'd be *ucked!

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 01:32:26 am »

As long as the SUN readers keep voting as Murdoch tells them we will always have Gordon the Scottish Taxer ruling what used to be a kingdom.

It really honestly scares me because the tree hugging idiot the cowardly tories gave their "MAIN MAN" job to is little, if anything, better

I think a UKIP or BNP vote is all I can do to protest with...

And once we had a Navy that was bloody worth the money

An Air Force that spelled out "FORCE"

And an Army that stood proud across the world and was looked up to, even by its adversaries...

And even a police force, not a police service...

My God, must be time for bed...

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 02:05:15 am »

As long as the SUN readers keep voting as Murdoch tells them we will always have Gordon the Scottish Taxer ruling what used to be a kingdom.

It really honestly scares me because the tree hugging idiot the cowardly tories gave their "MAIN MAN" job to is little, if anything, better

I think a UKIP or BNP vote is all I can do to protest with...

And once we had a Navy that was bloody worth the money

An Air Force that spelled out "FORCE"

And an Army that stood proud across the world and was looked up to, even by its adversaries...

And even a police force, not a police service...

My God, must be time for bed...

Perdu,

Can't argue with anything you've said.  100% with you.

Get everyone out voting, if they don't vote they have no right to complain.

BNP, probably no no, but UKIP!  Farage seems to be doing a good job but are they really serious about forming an 'administration?

Lib' Dems, only chance would be in a co-alition.

Tories, At least we'd get a referendum on the 'treaty'.

Labour,  more taxes, more regulation, etc.  Have you read George Orwell?  1984 is Labour's bible.

Why the f**k I'm still in this rain sodden, God forsaken, over taxed country I don't know, but it's my choice through necessity.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:07:27 am by jjkt15 » Logged

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 05:24:47 am »

WTF is a JSF?
Thanks Matt. I bet it turns out to be some kind of flying thingy like we used to call Aeroplanes which morphed into Airplanes Roll Eyes What ever it is it's over budget already and it may or may not actually fly Grin
Phil
Dobbo
CA Veteran

They've rebadged it you fool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 08:34:56 am »

I can see the need for a carrier strike force, on a practical level, how on earth are we to protect them on operations?  Where are the Frigates and destroyers that are needed as Fleet protection?

There are currently 6 Type45 Destroyers being built in Glasgow (possibly more to follow). 2 have been launched already and ship 3 is sitting proudly on the side of the Clyde.
The type 23 friggates aren't that old either. They were built all through the 90s.
John Boy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 02:41:09 pm »

Yup, 6 Type 45 only.  Originally was going to be 12, then cut back to 10, then 8.  6 are under contract, the other 2 aren't and if they every are it'll be so far into the future that they'll probably be a new class of 2 anyway.  So bascially we'll have two shiney new carrrier, with nothing to fly off them, and no frigates/destroyers to protect them.   Sad Sad Sad

Finally a topic on here I know something about.  I can be a nerd too.  Grin Grin

If sponges didn't grow in the sea just think how deep it would be!!
Catchpole

Lets Go Racing

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 02:58:21 pm »

Excellent news, it's great having that little bit extra of griff, with a bit of luck we can get indignantly pissed off too Grin

Our military is in a right old state all the juicy postings have long gone, so not much chance of a posting other to the sandpit again after coming back from operations.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 03:51:04 pm »

................So bascially we'll have two shiney new carrrier, with nothing to fly off them, and no frigates/destroyers to protect them.   ......
Isn't this where we were 5 years ago?

And whilst shiny new carrier 1 is in for a respray, we only have one left to rule the world.  Having 3 was a better idea, ,as one would always be in dock

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Lee Self
CA Veteran

Almost time for Sebring...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 04:02:59 pm »

WTF is a JSF?
Thanks Matt. I bet it turns out to be some kind of flying thingy like we used to call Aeroplanes which morphed into Airplanes Roll Eyes What ever it is it's over budget already and it may or may not actually fly Grin
Phil

JSF images here:
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/wms/findPage.do?dsp=fec&prfr=false&ci=15401&sc=400&ti=&mm=&dd=&yy=&cpi=&bs=&es=&fti=&rsbci=15401&rsbi=

-Lee
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 11:38:49 pm »

Certainly hope it fly's since the rear fuselage is constructed about 150 yards away from where i build Eurofighter wiring looms !
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 04:14:38 pm »

WTF is a JSF?
Phil

Phil,

Aircraft please...... JSF is the big programme for the Lockeed Martin F-35 Lightining II  http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/jsf/.  The STOVL variant is the one they've having weight issues with (like too much of it), but the various variants will end up replacing a lot of aircraft give nt enumber of nat5ions signed up to the production and beyond phase

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
John Boy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2007, 06:59:15 pm »

As far as I'm aware we are the only ones committed to the STOVL version at the mo.  The US don't want it for their carriers.  The US marines (I think?) may want it as a replacement for their harriers.  But if they don't sign up we could be in trouble as it won't be made just for us.  Could be looking at a marinised Typhoon yet (and thant's not an aircraft soaked in sauce overnight).

On the up side, the CVF are being designed so that they can be retrofitted with steam catapults and arrestor gear (another sucessful British invention we no longer use), so we can adopt the other version of the F-35.

The easiest way to wind up the retired naval bods in our office is to get them talking about CVF, T45, it ain't like it used to be....  Hours of fun  Grin  Grin

If sponges didn't grow in the sea just think how deep it would be!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: