Club Arnage
September 29, 2024, 09:28:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toyota back to Le Mans?  (Read 7613 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2007, 09:15:09 am »

There is a report on an Italian web page ( http://www.italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=15450&cat=15 )

It reports that Toyota have been testing an old GTone with a modern engine at Paul Ricard with a view to racing at Le Mans in the next few years.

I would hazard a guess it is in response too Honda who have also stated an intention to return.

Clearly very early days and it is easy to read too much into these reports, but hoefully it will lead to something.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 10:02:41 am »

Excellent news.  I especially liked the shape of the GTone.

More closed coupe prototypes please.

Steve East Anglian cobras

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 10:24:10 am »

More closed coupe prototypes please.

Hugues de Chaunac's building one.... Smiley

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
vqdave
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

world humbering

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 10:49:55 am »

yes please, the 99 car was a fab looking machine. One of my favourites looks wise, especially of the ones i have seen as 99 was my first year at LM.

In fact of the top cars it prob is the best looking one i have seen race live. Although my overall favourite still has to be the Morgans, lets hope they can scrape enough pennies together at some point to return.

Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 10:56:05 am »

Thats good news. My old mate Henri hinted to a major manufacturer wanting to get involved with a petrol engined car in Motorsport magazine about a month or so ago. But he said that there would have to be a level playing field against the oil burners first before they would commit fully. Will the Pescarolo have a Jap engine in the next few years? Its an ideal opportunity for a manufacturer to develop a new motor in a well sorted reliable chassis. The Toyota one was a nice looking car too. Fingers crossed!

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 11:09:21 am »

In fact of the top cars it prob is the best looking one i have seen race live. Although my overall favourite still has to be the Morgans, lets hope they can scrape enough pennies together at some point to return.
The ones running in the GT3 support races for the FIA GT season look sadly pathetic (in terms of performance and reliability) though don't they, Dave?

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
vqdave
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

world humbering

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 11:47:50 am »

The ones running in the GT3 support races for the FIA GT season look sadly pathetic (in terms of performance and reliability) though don't they, Dave?

That is true, and a shame. Never really a contender at LM what was it 3 years ago but still the sight and sound of them was the only car to get me off my arse every lap through the night at Arnage.

Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 04:55:19 pm »

Whilst tidying my study the other day I came across some photos of the Jag XJR15.  Seem to recall they raced in 1991 or 2 as a support race to some of the GPs Silverstone and Monaco?

Weren't they based on the design of the Jag that won Le Mans in the late 80's?
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 05:02:19 pm »

It reports that Toyota have been testing an old GTone with a modern engine at Paul Ricard with a view to racing at Le Mans in the next few years.

I would hazard a guess it is in response too Honda who have also stated an intention to return.

That's good news. So we can tick the boxes of Alfa Romeo, Toyota and Honda. Great to see more factory cars coming into the race, as long as they won't run stupid diesels! Angry

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 06:15:33 pm »

Whilst tidying my study the other day I came across some photos of the Jag XJR15.  Seem to recall they raced in 1991 or 2 as a support race to some of the GPs Silverstone and Monaco?

Weren't they based on the design of the Jag that won Le Mans in the late 80's?

I remember seeing them supporting one of the British GP's too. Very nice shape and I seem to remember one getting rather bent.

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
Jager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 10:19:10 am »

I'd love to see Toyota back at Le Mans. Let's face it, they've probably worked out they aren't going to win the F1 World Championship any time soon, so perhaps have decided that a bit of Le Mans glory would be eaisier to achieve and restore a bit of pride to their reputation. No doubt the change by the ACO to favour closed coupes from 2010 also makes it more attractive.

The rules have changed quite a bit since the GT-One raced and it would need major revisions. The GT-One was 4840mm long and had 1000mm overhangs, but cars today are restricted to 4650mm and the front and rear overhangs are much smaller resulting in longer wheelbases. Hence the Toyota needs to be significantly redesigned to be shortened with a longer wheelbase and smaller overhangs.

Here's a quick comparison of the '99 Toyoya and '06 Audi using my 1:43 models :

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 12:22:51 pm »

I very much doubt Toyota intend the reuse the GTone. If it is true that it was TTE doing the testing rather than an owner (did any get sold to collectors?), then I would think they are testing parts by using the GTone as a base mark.

They do after all have plenty of data from that car to compare any new items with.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
RB5 283

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 10:05:06 am »

Sounds great that there are rumours of Japan manufacturers giving Le Mans another go!

I hope this comes true, some more front running competition would be great!

So what's the story with Honda?

Dale

Been to 94' 95' 96' 97'
Returning 2007
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 10:19:11 am »

So what's the story with Honda?
In an interview during the ALMS race on Motors, the Acura boss said they were definately asking for an invitation to LM in '08 with the P2 car and that they would be developing a P1 car for 2010. Smiley

Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 10:22:47 am »

And whats the story with Alfa Romeo?

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: