Club Arnage
September 30, 2024, 08:15:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: French Holidays and Work Ethics!  (Read 6910 times)
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2007, 01:35:30 am »

Came across this on Yahoo.

No comment!

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=49750&cl=3181331&ch=334515&src=news

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 02:06:45 am »

I like the 35 hour week, but I don't like the "No Paid Overtime !" Holidays don't pay the bills now do they.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 08:46:44 am »

They have a much better work/life balance than us lot. Managed a whopping 2 hours with the wife and daughter this weekend! Work work work- its all I ever do!
 I'd move to France tomorrow if I could get Mrs Sconefinger to go- she's having none of it.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sûrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 10:56:03 am »

....  I'd move to France tomorrow if I could get Mrs Sconefinger to go- she's having none of it.
We did and I ended up commuting to the UK to work as I can't afford to not work Angry Not complaining as I agree the system allows for a better work life balance overall and the kids love the schooling system there but if you do have to work the salaries are considerably lower than in the UK, the tax is higher (especially if, like me, your self employed); but the social benefits are very good and jobs are harder to come by, especially in rural areas. We are all back in the UK until September, but given the choice, I tend to prefer it on the southern side of the English Channel ....
vqdave
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

world humbering

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 11:04:35 am »

They have a much better work/life balance than us lot. Managed a whopping 2 hours with the wife and daughter this weekend! Work work work- its all I ever do!
 I'd move to France tomorrow if I could get Mrs Sconefinger to go- she's having none of it.

Mirrors my weekend my friend, Mrs VQDave and VQDave junior were sadly lacking daddy this weekend too, its 'cause we both work for ourselves......but i do get more time with my daughter than most i think as i can generally be flexible and work funny hours. Every Friday morning we go to Monkey Music which is nice  Cool which i couldn't do in a 'proper' job.

nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 11:54:09 am »

Yea I think the French have the right idea, working 35 hrs/week - Great.

Also great place to live as there is more space, just think, I could buy more old cars and platforms  Smiley

Knew a guy who brought a place near Magny-Cours, old farm house, 7 acres, pool walled garden, 3 big barns. All for £150,000 (mind you this was about 5 years ago) He sold his house in the UK and was going to live of the interest and small amount of work on old cars he did.

May do it in a few (hundred) years time, just need to learn the lingo,

If you're going through hell, keep going.
fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 12:04:15 pm »

yup.. me too..

we finalised our house in france on LM weekend (thats why I couldnt make it) but a nice three bedroom granite house with 880 sq m of land and a huge (re roofed) barn for 87k euros all in (all fees etc)..

its a holiday home for now.. but in the future we plan to vacate our little island and head south of the ecrehous! (little crop of rocks south of jersey.. see link)http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/United_Kingdom/photo82307.htm

Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 12:11:09 pm »

My pal lives near Cahors and is always telling me of 5 bed farmhouses with paddocks and barns that can be had for £150k. Not only that but the local Garagiste has retired and locals now have a 80km round trip to get their cars fixed at some dreadfull quick fit place. They told Bill they would collectively buy the garage for me if I moved there. My wife has much to answer for!

Dick Dasterdly was right
vqdave
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

world humbering

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 12:55:05 pm »

My wife has much to answer for!

"mange tout Sconefinger mange tout"

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 01:45:13 pm »

France is a lovely country and they have a good lifestyle and laid back attitude, but I do sometimes worry that the French don't really understand the outside world and what's happening elsewhere. This "insular" charge gets bandied at the Americans but the french are just as bad IMO. The 35 hr week is coming to an end, Mr Sarkosy will be putting a stop to it very soon along with other restrictive working practices. France cannot compete on the world markets if it continues and Sarkosy, and i guess those french who voted him in, realise that we are no longer living in the protectionist 1950's and 60's. IMHO, the country looks pretty moribund in places and France needs dragging into the 21st century screaming and kicking. That's not to say that some of the wonderful rural settings need to be modernised or destroyed.

FWIW, I sometimes think the the massive influx of British into France might be spoiling things somewhat. I'm not having a go at those CAers who've made the move, such as Termie/Fagey/RS2babe/Lynx etc, and who've clearly made every effort to integrate on a local level. But recently seeing HP Sauce for sale in a shop in the Dordogne was really very disappointing.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 02:04:09 pm »

Our new chums in the bar in Champsecret said that 1 in 10 of the houses in and around the Village were Brits! They welcomed it though and said they had all integrated very well.
 One of the reasons I want to move to France is to get away from Brits, although its a certain element of British society I want to escape from- you want to worry when you see The Sport, white track suits and Turkey Twizzlers Andy- I can live with HP sauce!

Dick Dasterdly was right
JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sûrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 02:11:08 pm »

.... But recently seeing HP Sauce for sale in a shop in the Dordogne was really very disappointing.
We are in Charente Maritime (17) and are told there are lots of Brits there, but we have only ever found 2 families in 4 years of owning the place, that said, we don't go out and look for them but integrate with the French, after all, it's their country. Our local L'Eclerc recently gained a 'British' section but thankfully it's limited to things like soups, Heinz Baked Beans and biscuits. In general it's pretty hard to get some of the things we like from the UK but over Easter we went to Murcia in Spain for the week (freebie at brother in law's holiday pad) and it was awful! What seemd to be 'English housing estate on sea' and the shops sold pretty much only English/British food (so we took the opportunity to buy some things we miss and take them back to France) and all the pubs resteraunts seemed to be owned by the English/Irish .... France has a L-O-N-G way to ge before it gets like this ....
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 02:15:16 pm »

Except HP's made in Holland these days.  Huh Globalisation for you I guess, but it doesn't taste the same as proper "Aston Relish", a large supply of which i have at home from before they shut down the Birmingham factory.

Hooded youth is an international problem Jerry, the French have chavs too, though I'm not sure if they're called "Les Chavs". The Dutch call them Jornies (or something from memory), according to the DfH guys who pointed out some nice specimens in Rotterdam.

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 02:16:59 pm »

Surely nobody would miss Heinz Baked Beans enough to pay £1 a tin for them. Roll Eyes

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 02:19:56 pm »

Surely nobody would miss Heinz Baked Beans enough to pay £1 a tin for them. Roll Eyes

Termie, you've been left behind! Heinz are rubbish these days. Branston Beans are the future. Much richer tomato sauce. Get with the program!  Wink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: