Club Arnage
September 30, 2024, 08:33:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Le Mans - Circuit Changes  (Read 3574 times)
Freddie von Rost

Life is what you make of it!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2007, 08:41:37 pm »

As a full time fogey - fully signed up life membership - I suppose I hate change for the sake of change, just as much as I abhor the lack of manners, grace and goodwill of today's society.

Le Mans has really been mauled over the last fifty years, with an ever increasing perception that changes to the circuit will not only slow cars down, but will also keep spectators at a distance, because they need no longer feel involved in the racing process, as was the case just thirty years ago.

With this in mind, I would like to invite all you Arnager's to post your period pictures and videos, so that anyone who has only known the LM in its current layout, can get an idea as to its changing geography.

Here is my starter for ten:

Le Mans 1955 - Superb Colour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMDMJYcikt4

Le Mans - 1956 Mike Hawthorn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DulNn2tlTFs

Le Mans - 1968 Pedro Rodriguez
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vOA6eLiV-I

Enjoy.

Lick up the honey and ask no questions.

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 11:04:34 pm »

Here's a site worth viewing for the then / now changes http://www.rjsmith.com/Le-Mans-Then-and-Now.html

Steve East Anglian cobras

Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 01:05:17 am »

Good posts.
Whilst on the subject of track changes, I'm probably alone on this one,  but I think the new Tertre Rouge has lost all the nice character that it had. Granted it's faster and a better view down Mulsanne, but I really liked standing in the trees on the inside on the approach as I thought it was one of the best places for hearing the cars and often used to leave with my lugs ringing. Also that dip in Tertre Rouge is gone which gave quite a few the wobble on exit. f**k*ng modernisation
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 01:11:36 am »

Freddie,

Some superb footage there, many thanks.

Jerry

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 08:56:44 am »

I too miss the character of the old Tetre Rouge and its dank little tunnel, it might be alright in 15-20 years when the trees grow back- long time to wait.
 The biggest crime for me was getting rid of the old Dunlop tower at the end of the pit lane. It was an icon for me. Couldn't give a toss that there are now 5 extra cars in the race, rather have the tower, trees and the 'welcome' back anyday.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 09:32:04 am »

there's supposed to be a new welcome being built where the old tower was.. looks like a UFO!

roeegg

one of del's boys!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 01:01:10 pm »

Will the ACO allow granstand ticket holders into the new welcome after 18 hrs on sat as they did before ? It was a great position for photos, no catchfencing.

roeegg
Gordonwr
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 10:28:31 pm »

I used to go  past the fair,through the esses and down to Tetre Rouge two or three times every year. Last year I went once and this year I didn't bother, as I'd seen enough from the pics posted on here in advance. I know nothing stays the same for long these days but the magic and feeling for the place started to leave me each year as the changes came one by one, what a difference from those early film clips. All the character has been lost now.

Always go into a corner too fast, in case it turns out to be a quick one!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: