Club Arnage
October 04, 2024, 03:23:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What I enjoyed at Le Mans  (Read 14626 times)
RS2 Babe
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 09:06:11 pm »

Kiss Kiss Kiss

Yipeee - I'm sooo glad to have this thread to post on......what I enjoyed at le Mans.....EVERYTHING!

Getting on the ferry from Jersey to St Malo and then driving all alone with my music blasting - no stopping - just having a little play with a Porsche and a TVR with some very straight laced looking guys driving who seemed a bit bemused to be forced into the inside lane by a mere Mini Cooper S.

Arriving at the gates to MB and hurtling along to the Liverpool Boys camp and Mike C and Bill and Stu and Peter Ian and Mark - lots of hugs and kisses  Wink

Putting up my lovely new tent (well observing Jimmy and Brian putting up my lovely new tent) - wearing my matching wellies, kagool and brolly (yes it is my fault that it rained - first time I have ever taken wellies to Le Mans!)

Making the Thai Green Curry (very cool this year) and everybody saying how wonderful it was.

Hearing the cars on the track for the first time - still loving the Lambo - crying when it crashed crying even more when it only did one lap in the race.

Getting to see the start from a grandstand for the first time.

Spotting exotica - I will never ever get complacent about seeing and listening to the real deal on the road and being able to get up close and personal with it.

The arrival of the Commer and the Zarses

Being driven in the NSX up to the village and making people jump out of their skin when we blatted it through the tunnel.

The spectacular arrival of a very fit looking man on a push bike - yes thats you H

DfH Party - The Bretherens chilli challenge OMG!!!

Going AWOL with the Duc Rider

Arnage corner at midnight on the night of the race.

...and the final few hours of Le Mans 2007 stood in the rain taking it all in.

It was great this year - best ever and it's all down to the people of CA as otherwise it just wouldn't be the same

Thanks everybody

Kiss Kiss Kiss

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:16:04 pm by RS2 Babe » Logged
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 09:48:29 pm »

Back to topic...

For a very long time it was unclear that I even could attend LM this year. That's why I never got a CA Tee or any tickets and booked the N24s the week before instead. As time came closer chances looked better and better. Werner can sing a song about this. Then, work struck... but I was determined to miss this in no circumstance. I left work in Frankfurt at 12:30 on friday before the race. It took me 5 hours (yes, five hours for 270 KMs - lots of rain and 2 huge accidents) to get to Aachen. So, I arrived in Aachen at 17:30. Then I spend 4 hours in the kitchen to do the cakes for Rollcentre and Kruse. Once finished it was 21:30. Then another hour to clean the kitchen and arrange things for the next day. I fell asleep at 22:30 and was doozing off untill 03:00. Then shower, shave, pack car and I was just about quick enough off to LM to forget the radio and tent. After a quick flick through Belgium and France I arrived at 09:00 at LM. Antares was already closed with the only option being Beausejour... so, I parked on the side of the road close to Houx Annexe where a couple of good friends camped (yes, it's legal but wait for it...). I took the box with cakes and carried all the way to the paddock (thanks Big_M for adjusting my glasses several times... I was sweating but determined to get this job done for myself). Someone from RC picked me up at the gate and I delivered the goods to RC and Kruse. Then, out and off to DfH for saying hello and a beer (thank you guys) and off to watch the start with the LeMansZone guys (Werner) at the Esses. At 19:00 I left for Houx Annexe because I was invited for dinner by some very good friends. After that we then together made our way to the Shampoo bar. I met and talked to many known and unknown friendly faces. Then - being quite exhausted - I got back to the car. Sleeping was not easy as any bypasser knocked on the window (wan***s). I woke up at 06:00 on sunday and went off to take some pictures (with a dirty lense - but hey, they are still above average). Then I went back to Houx Annexe for some food (thanks again Big_M). After some chilling I left at 12:30 just to sit in a jam for about an hour. I was just around Paris when Big_M texted me saying that RC finished in 4th position. Well, if they finish in 4th I want to be in one. I wasn't... I was back in Aachen at 10:000 and straight off for some food and the famous 4 S's. The off to work was on monday morning at 04:00 just to arrive in time in Frankfurt at 07:00. Did I enjoy it: YES. Would I do it again: YES. Next weekend: NO, but in 10 days at the Ring... give me some time to recover. Thanks guys for another great year at LM.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 10:28:26 pm »

Absolutely bloody everything!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

To add speed, just add lightness.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 09:56:44 am »

There is not much I didn't enjoy.

The drive was good, the campsite as expected, the rain as predicted (made us laugh more than cry), the race itself, finally AM winning, free grandstand seats from a friendly chap at Audi, great company.

Even having to fend off the gypsies on Sunday night / Monday morning and the fact one of our party last saw his car going off on a low loader (the car is still in France) did not spoil the experience.

I just hate the 12 month wait until next year.

Le Mans is for the week......not just 24hrs!

When life throws you lemons, bring out the tequila!!

Vodka! Cheaper than Botox and paralyses more muscles!
Mezza

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 01:49:15 pm »

I enjoyed absolutely everything...even the weather  Grin Grin Grin
RB5 283

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 01:59:48 pm »

What i enjoyed, everything!!!
Iv'e read a few forums that have moaned about lots of things and although i agree with most of it i still wont let it stop me remembering 2007 as a great event.

Main points -

The Ferry trip overnight and the build up to arriving at the circuit.
The driving on great French roads
arriving at the circuit after being away for 10 years
the weather, managed to get a decent tan between the rain
Seeing the Porche curves for the first time
experiencing he new layout on the run down from dunlop bridge
being woken up in Beausjour at 9am by the morning testing - best alarm clock ever
the quality of Radio Le Mans
the new village
the pit lane walk
the beer
the bbq
watching the start at the esses
Aston winning

and best of all managing to stop up for the whole race, 33 hours in total. Something ive always wanted to do. Witness the daylight return.

cant wait for next year.....

Dale

Been to 94' 95' 96' 97'
Returning 2007
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 02:28:34 pm »

Everything too. Grin

The drive down, meeting up with time team. Brilliant dinner on Friday lots of talk about the race, plenty of wine and too much Cognac  Grin Chatting in the rain til 2am

Arriving at Mulsanne race build up

The start

visiting Arnage and staying down there overnight

the tour of the hot spots, Porsche curves Tetre Rouge etc on Sunday morning

back to Mulsanne for the end

listening to a bunch of Brits banter (wine fuelled) but in good spirits for the last hour of the race

the drive back, good dinner on Sunday night,

not Monday so much........ Embarrassed

The smell, the noise, the atmosphere the being tired, being cold then warm, wet then dry.

Spending the weekend with a group of decent folk that are courteous, generous and share my passion for the worlds greatest motor race for what it is – a motor race.

See you all next year. Monkey
clkgtrlm1
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Le Mans - Follow the Carbon Footprints!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 02:37:03 pm »

Me too - well almost everthing, the only bad experience I had is the trench-foot being suffered right now caused by blisters from wet trainers.

Very bad indeed to hear about all you that had trouble, keep your end up and fight them on the beaches next year!

Funniest moment - Batman, Superman and Captain America in Houx, 'flying' around in the Batmobile (a Supercharged XK8, I think).
Some normal 'being' trying to get in the car for a lift, result - an argument between Batman and intinerant followed by Batman chasing said down Houx road trying to lamp him one - the only time I have ever stepped in to prevent Batman hitting someone! We were rolling around, pi*ssing ourselves, excellent! 

Baldrick, my Lord! But I can change it to Ploppy if it'll make things easier.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 06:09:34 pm »

Really enjoyed most of it this year. God Craic on the way down with the lads, great spot on Bleu under the oak trees in the corner, smashing old French couple next to us who brought out a nice bottle of Brandy after we got soaked pitching up. Sneaky pit walk on Friday eve after the crowds had gone- beer with RML lads, Getting roped in to help fit new engine and box in Shaun Lynns GT40 and watching him win from the back of grid, Radio Le Mans, new Tetre Rouge, crashing Audis. Loved it. Heres to next year!

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 06:45:21 pm »

Enjoyed every moment, even standing at the Porsche Curves at 1:00 on Sunday afternoon getting pissed on. The best thing was having my son with us and seeing him fall in love with the place and saying he wants to go every year. I didn't know he could drink like that.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 06:48:04 pm »

How was it to "leave" Houx Annexe, Bob? Undecided

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 07:09:24 pm »

Very strange Paddy. Had to rely on the Beer Scooter to get me back on Friday night Grin

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Gordonwr
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 07:15:35 pm »

Just being there again!!

Always go into a corner too fast, in case it turns out to be a quick one!
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 10:14:06 pm »

Another great year as far as I am concerned!  Grin

Among the many highlights were the Friday cavalcade, DfH beers, having a dry seat in the grandstand for the finish, catching up with an ex HA neighbour who I havent see in a few years, going on the Big Wheel Saturday night, Arnage and Mulsanne early Sunday morning, nice campsite neighbours and (believe it or not) staying sober most of the week!

Thanks to all LM friends, old and new, who added to the enjoyment.

F
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2007, 11:21:55 pm »

Fran- Really sad that I did not get to meet up with you this year to talk 'Didsbury and Fallowfield', prob for the best as I get mega homesick after a few beers and want to go back Cry Cry Hope to get to meet up with you at Silverstone!

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: