Club Arnage
October 04, 2024, 03:22:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What I enjoyed at Le Mans  (Read 14623 times)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2007, 12:49:15 pm »

Folks,

With all of the stuff on the threads about the thefts and the tarnishing of golden eras, we might be in danger of moaning too much, and its easy to forget all the things we enjoyed about and at Le Mans this year  Grin Grin

So here's my list, in no particular order and probably incomplete, of all the good things that I enjoyed last week and which keep me going back to La Sarthe:

Solving the fuel vaporisation problems with the MGA which enabled stall-free driving in traffic
Good weather between the showers
Being pleasantly surprised by the convenient location and relative peace and quiet of Bleu Nord
Friendly local cafes, restaurants, bars etc in the surropunding villages - and their clean bogs
Wine and beer
Taking 2 of my lads for the first time, having James and Jordan along too, and having another of my lads there for his third time, and being proud of the lot of them
The restored view at Indianapolis/Arnage and being there at dusk
Catching up with a bundle of old friends and meeting new ones
CA, and all it brings during the year, culminating in the Le Mans week
The Classic British Welcome and a good CA run out through nice countryside and villages
The look at various points of the week on my first-timer lads' faces
More wine and beer
Picnic lunch on the grass at Arnage corner on wednesday lunchtime
The wedding (Part II) and the Friday DfH party
Classic and modern cars worth ogling in abundance all over the place
The qualifying, the race, the cars, and the excitment and uncertainty they bring
The "wall of sound" along the pit straight at the start
Beer and wine
Friendly campsite neighbours
Radio Le Mans
The bizarre sight of orange construction trucks with yellow lights flashing, bumbling along the circuit to Tetre Rouge to repair the "Rockenfeller moment", being passed by the saftey car and race cars.
Watching cars emulating Torvill and Dean at the Dunlop chicane
Finding out that the Esso garage in Arnage was the Bristol team's garage in 1953

That's better!  Grin Grin

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 01:01:06 pm »

Seconded Mark! At last a sensible thread about what's great about the whole Le Mans thing! I've read far too much negativity on CA just now and having had a great weekend, it's taken the gloss off it a bit. So can I suggest the Mods open a new Board perhaps entitled "Moaning Minnies" so those that want a bitch can post their grizzles and grumbles on there. To my mind, CA is primarily about Le Mans and fun and frollicks and challeging views, let's keep it like that eh?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Hubertus C

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 01:17:33 pm »

I really eenjoyed the week, met a lot of great people, nice parties, good atmosphere (despite the rain), raised  quite a lot of money for charity, we had beer, and even more beer, race was quite good etc etc etc
Reliant roadie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 01:42:38 pm »

I enjoyed being the support crew for the 5 reliant robins that went down  Grin

Dont know if any of you lot saw them but we shall be back next year with another 5 robins bringing the total up to ten so look out for us!

I enjoyed the race, glad to see the Astons win, heard they might be making an LMP1 car to challenge the Audis, happy days   Smiley
Smithy
CA Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 01:48:17 pm »

Fair point about all the moaning....I think the best bet is to take up any moans with those others concerned.

So here's a list of the things we enjoyed...

Watching the race at Arnage at nightfall
The view from our stand seats
The giant TV screens and the coverage
Radio LM
Our champagne starter in the morning
The quality of the race
The weather...mixed it up a bit didn't it!
The revamped facilities in the village
The people we went with
The fact that...there's nothing else like LeMans

Blimey at this rate we'll be booking for next year!!!

Cissie
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 01:59:17 pm »

I enjoyed the whole experience even the rain and would like to thank the DFH for the invite to their party which was great, also the Liverpool boys for their hospitality and cant wait for next year! Grin
There was one other really great thing about this year and that was 009 winning! shame I could not stay to them collect their trophy
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 03:02:19 pm »

Here you go then, Cissie

Yeah, I had a couple of moans about some of the yobs but they failed to ruin my week. Even the dissapointing Oreca showing and the cr*p weather can't take the atmosphere away.

Great to see everybody as ever.  Glad to see a race that wasn't an Audi white-wash for a change.  Chuffed to see the IMSA porker win and Tracey Krone take second, and Huge Chamberpot finish the race.  Fab viewing at TR.  The rain stayed away during our Thursday picnic at Mulsanne.  Managed to see the sun come up over the Dunlop Bridge on Sunday morning.  The heli ride was a real experience - gives you a totally new perspective on the circuit.  Glad to see so many people on the Cavalcade - and wasn't the turnout at St Sat fabulous?  Great that Big H finished his marathon run.  I'm sure there's loads of stuff I've forgotten.  Then I got home and discovered I'd managed to record the entire race so I'm now enjoying it all over again.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Smithy
CA Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 03:34:19 pm »

How much was the helicopter ride?  Did you book it or just turn up?
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 03:37:45 pm »

It was 80 euros (more info' in the guide).  Fagey booked it for us but you could put your name down by visiting them (next to the exit of Parking Blanc) any time over race week.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Smithy
CA Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 03:49:43 pm »

[/quote]It was 80 euros (more info' in the guide).  Fagey booked it for us but you could put your name down by visiting them (next to the exit of Parking Blanc) any time over race week.
[/quote]

Thanks, new experience to be had next time we go then!
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 05:06:36 pm »

some of the light showers were quiet refreshing and it wasn't as damned hot as usual!
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 06:09:39 pm »

I enjoyed pretty much everything (though some of the rain was a little tiresome) but most of all I enjoyed the GT1 result  Grin
elanman
CA Veteran

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 06:53:36 pm »

I enjoyed it all apart from the minor bits that I didn't, but that's life and you take the good with the not so good. 

In no particular order of preference the best bits for me were:

The drive down and visiting Scrutineering for the first time in 15 years.

The first BBQ on Tuesday evening.

Meeting up with old mates some only seen once a year at Le Mans.

Welcoming like minded people to Le Mans for the first time.

The Audi/Peugeot ding dong for the pole at the end of Wednesday Qualifying.

Comparing how different cars appeared to perform accelertaing out of Arnage in the wet.

The Wedding Part II at DFH on Thursday.

The drive out from St Sat on Friday.

The DFH party on Friday.

The outstanding hospitality and welcome shown to us by Nick's French friend and his Belgian, Luxembourg and German friends at their traditional pre race BBQ in Parking Blanc Saturday Lunchtime.

The first bottle of Champagne after the race started.

Sat evening in the Stella Bar at Tertre Rouge (another first after all this time).

The steak onion and mushroom baguette, eaten at 0300 Sun Morning on the MB banking.

Seeing the end of the race despite the rain.

Reaching a hot shower and warm bed on Sunday night in Abbeville.

The reaction of my kids when I got home (armed with presents)

Nothing bad really (other than the thievery, but this is the positive thread) we knew it was going to rain so avoided getting too wet.

Have to do it all agin next year. 
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 08:45:54 pm »

I enjoyed being the support crew for the 5 reliant robins that went down  Grin

Dont know if any of you lot saw them but we shall be back next year with another 5 robins bringing the total up to ten so look out for us!

I enjoyed the race, glad to see the Astons win, heard they might be making an LMP1 car to challenge the Audis, happy days   Smiley

Was the roof chopped Gulf coloured one with you?

Saw it on Dieppe/Newhaven return on Monday morning.

Jerry

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Cissie
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 08:59:55 pm »

Thank you Termietermite it is a great picture, the green looks so much nicer than all that yellow... Grin
The last time I watched them race they also beat the Corvettes which was at Mosport last year.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: