Club Arnage
July 08, 2024, 04:09:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Safety car usage at Le Mans  (Read 12971 times)
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2007, 01:47:26 pm »

Had it existed he could have written his comments on his much favoured 'moaning minnies' board then  Wink
dks240

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2007, 01:02:08 pm »

This is the 24hrs of Le Mans.... I was totally bemused at the side of the track when the first safety car was deployed just because it was raining... It is supposed to be a test of endurance.

Like many have said, let the teams decide what tyres they want and if needs be get the car in a make atlerations to the set up.

And then again at the end of the race. Actions like this erode what the entire event is all about. They raced as normal in torrential rain at the Nurburgring 24hrs. It did get stopped though for a while due to heavy fog.

I think the race should just run its own course. Of course if there are other hazards on the track then deploy the safety car, but not just because of rain.

Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2007, 01:08:31 pm »

I've watched some of the footage from Motors and the first safety car period is very strange as their doesn't seem to be a reason for it.  BUT my recollection from the media centre is that there was a reason for each of the safety car periods (the last one being to allow Peugeot to finish...) - The Radical is shown on the footage as being trashed back and front just before the first safety car period and I wonder whether it did some barrier damage which was being fixed.  I really can't see why otherwise the safty cars would have been deployed?

What is amazing watching the footage is how long it takes to get a barrier crew out to the barrier after Mike Rockenfeller's crash - it must be 15-20 minutes at best!   That seems an incredible amount of time to get to something that was always likely to happen. 
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2007, 06:32:55 pm »

I've watched some of the footage from Motors and the first safety car period is very strange as their doesn't seem to be a reason for it.  BUT my recollection from the media centre is that there was a reason for each of the safety car periods (the last one being to allow Peugeot to finish...)

Piglet, I take it you've now had opportunity to read Jox Jottings 2 for confirmation that you were correct in your summary? I think Jock  Huh sums it up pretty well. No doubt he also incites accusations of anti-French bigotry from others with his comments about the actions of the ACO.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2007, 06:42:50 pm »

In fairness though Andy,  there isn't much more room up on this soapbox that Jock and I currently inhabit  Grin  So the fact that he and I agree shouldn't be taken as meaning very much, we have a fairly long history of being wrong together  Grin

It does make me cross though, write regs and run to them otherwise you have no certainty and anarchy... 
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 06:43:24 pm »

Very interesting Nordic.  A big Yaa Boo then to everybody who immediately blames the poor French for anything that they don't like about the race before checking their facts.  Pah.

On the other hand, I see the actions of the Race Director as a typically French reaction i.e. complete surrender!  Sad

So the ACO are approached "mob handed" by the Team Managers and rather than standing firm and reading them the riot act, the ACO simply toss their principles into the dustbin like so much poubelle and back down to the perceived aggression. Bloody French.....  Angry

If you dislike the French so much why do you bother going to Le Mans?

Roll Eyes

To watch a motor race. Why, what had you in mind?

Fortunately, due to the proximity of Le Mans to the coast, I am able to conduct my affairs in "splendid isolation" surrounded only by wholsome English people. Therefore I don't have to mix with foreign races like the Dutch or Germans, or heaven forbid, the wretched French. I find I rarely have to speak to a French person other than for the purposes of shopping, ordering their nasty foreign food, doling out helpful advice on personal hygene and/or the provision of gratuitous insults to Johnny Garlic.  Roll Eyes

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 06:45:22 pm »

It does make me cross though, write regs and run to them otherwise you have no certainty and anarchy... 

Anarchy was invented in France and I blame that Jean-Paul Sartre, he started it all.  Wink

LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 11:59:22 pm »

Very interesting Nordic.  A big Yaa Boo then to everybody who immediately blames the poor French for anything that they don't like about the race before checking their facts.  Pah.

On the other hand, I see the actions of the Race Director as a typically French reaction i.e. complete surrender!  Sad

So the ACO are approached "mob handed" by the Team Managers and rather than standing firm and reading them the riot act, the ACO simply toss their principles into the dustbin like so much poubelle and back down to the perceived aggression. Bloody French.....  Angry

If you dislike the French so much why do you bother going to Le Mans?

Roll Eyes

To watch a motor race. Why, what had you in mind?

Fortunately, due to the proximity of Le Mans to the coast, I am able to conduct my affairs in "splendid isolation" surrounded only by wholsome English people. Therefore I don't have to mix with foreign races like the Dutch or Germans, or heaven forbid, the wretched French. I find I rarely have to speak to a French person other than for the purposes of shopping, ordering their nasty foreign food, doling out helpful advice on personal hygene and/or the provision of gratuitous insults to Johnny Garlic.  Roll Eyes
Errr yes. The whole DfH group is all for sudden British Andy? (we had 1 American, 2 Canadians, 4 Germans and 24 Dutchies in our group this year, no British whatsoever Wink)

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: