Club Arnage
July 09, 2024, 12:37:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Le Mans golden Era well and truly over???  (Read 20943 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 05:56:06 pm »

All this talk of theft reminded me that it is nothing new, back in the mid 80's we had a bag stolen, found in a ditch a few hours later, it is not, I don't think any worse this year than last. It does only take a a couple of people to cause alot of problems for many.

I am not troubled by the corporate side of things, being honest, given the chance the partake in some, most on here would to some extent, I know i have via my dads contacts within 3M we were able to look at the event from the otherside of the fence a couple of times, and jolly good it was to.

If Audi want to fly Seal and Jk in and give private concerts whats the harm to us. Without the big investments by those companies then the entrance price would need to go up and the new plaza would not have been built, while not to everyones taste it is much better than the shanty town it had become.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 06:17:40 pm »

Maybe it is all cyclical. When I first went in the early 80's it was deader than Elvis and the races were a bit of a snore too. Then it got great from 88 thro' 93 - then the ACO really lost the plot, before it came good again in '98. At this point in my humble Le Mans career, I started to become a lot more interested in the social aspect than the race itself - though this also seemed to coincide with the discovery of Le Mans as a destination event. I'm not all that tollerant of having piss sprayed at me through a super-soaker in the name of 'fun', so latterly during my Sarthe attendances, I've done my best to stay away from situations where I might end-up in a physical confrontation. Sadly I missed the 2005/6/7 editions, but I will be back there next year. However, from what I've read here during the past couple of days, it sounds like things really have changed a lot in 3 short years.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 06:19:12 pm »

I don't think that it is over - but it does seem to be under increasing pressure in terms of spectator behaviour and the numbers attending versus the supporting infrastructure (or lack of it).  

The circuit changes have been made for various reasons, and the supporting facilities do seem to improve year on year, even if some of the character is lost in the process.  Amd that is where the corporate stuff comes in.  In the years that I've been going, the grandstands have got better, the number of pits (and grid size) has increased, the old view back up the track from the Indianapolis corner was restored this year with the removal of the screening (hurrah), the Tetre Rouge bank is now a great place to watch from and, yes, I do really miss thing like the fair (where/how it was) and the straight run down from the Dunlop Bridge to the Esses, viewed from outside the circuit in line with the track at dusk or dawn.  The campsite facilities are getting better - I remember two porcelain footprint traps and a couple of pig troughs that comprised the Houx ablutions at one point, and I certainly don't wish for them to return!

In terms of the spectator behaviour, there are a lot more people attending now, so given that the various activities happen roughly in the same place/time from year to year, any "bad" element is likely to stand out more now in any given situation or place, given the increase ni numbers and the desire to "outdo" each other.  I mean, Arnage used to be a good load of simple fun - a bit of wheelspinning, promendaing, a good-natured crowd and the odd bit of chucking water around.  Then came more water and water pistols.  Then improved "contents", including beer and p*iss thrown from jugs etc etc.  

This year, we didn't really see much of any of that, because we simply decided to avoid it and find other things to do - Friday was a brilliant day - got the supermarket shopping in, drove down the Mulsanne (lots of nice cars and good-natured crowds parked up near Hunaudieres), followed by the Classic British Welcome, CA Cavalcade and the DfH party. Simply went nowhere near HA roundabout, the drag strip in front of Bleu, Arnage, the town centre, or anywhere else like that.  End result was a great day out and about, with a bundle of nice people, doing something different.

All in all, I think that the Golden Era is still there - it just takes more to find it and, in some ways, we have to make some of it happen too.

MG Mark    

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
csitops
CA Veteran

Le Mans - A French Gift

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 07:42:00 pm »

Well well well, I'm just so glad it isn't only me. I've been to Le Mans for the last 25 years on the trot, total of 26, and this is the first time I'm thinking of not going next year.
The village, although having improved facilities, has lost pretty much all of its character.
I could not believe after just past the first hour, with a bit of rain, the safety car came out and stayed for over an hour. Yes it was heavy to begin with but it was short, sharp, showers. After a while it had stopped but the safty cars stayed out.
This is Europe! it rains and you race.
I agree with the previous comments that it has become very much geared towards corporate facilities and also seen a number of first time "Numpties" which I feel have let the usual crowd down.

"No human being can do miracles, you know, but Gilles made you wonder,"
powermite
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 07:49:52 pm »

well the WANCs  have camped on MB for the past 16 yrs but this year we drove down in cars instead of the Winnebago and stayed 20 miles southof the circuit.The drive in each morning was on a deserted D road with long sweeping bends and longer straights,an absolute pleasure.We watched more of the race  because we had nowhere else to go once we'd parked.Normally we'd crash out in the camper watching the race on sat.telly.
We drove out somewhere different each night for food and we were lucky that the guesthouse owner was organising the hospitality for Peugeot.He invited us to go to the hospitality to watch the race,which was overlooking the pit entrace and served us with champagne and beer and gave us parking permits.
We all agreed that we'll be doing the same next year and the change to our usual routine was so refreshing and rekindled my enthusiasm for the race

PM
Newcastle Dave

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 08:52:32 pm »

2007 was my seventh le mans - the first in 1999 and of course I agree with the sentiment that in respect of behaviour it has changed for the worse but I wonder will the ACO do anything to change it much - I think not. 

Visitor numbers are up, local revenues in shops and bars etc will be up so will there be much local complaint from Le mans residents I wonder??

I have heard people say how they will only go to the classic from now on so the ACO is still getting revenues from those who are displaced to that event and I cant see a significant financial driver for the ACO to displace the hooligan element.  If more and more of the responsible do stop going as seems likely it leaves more scope for the bad behaviour to escalate.  I agree with Mark that we have to continue to make Le Mans our type of event rather than give up on it to our memories.

In defence of some of the younger hooligan element on our site -- who got some words from disgruntled neighbours for blatting around on mini motos, reving cars etc etc  they came across to talk to us about le mans and cars and they did have the same infectious enthusiasm for the event that many of us know. 

Hopefully with the redevelopment of HA the roundabout will go and the site of the main problem areas removed.
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 09:03:53 pm »

On the walk to MB friday night we passed a group of lads on a stag weekend who were stopping cars and trying to open doors and squirt them with their super soakers. They look on the French family inside one of them was worried.
To me they should clamp down on the mad friday burnouts, gopeds and waterpistols, then the chav element will go somewhere else.
Once inside the DFH party faith was restored in Le Mans freindship, cheers lads.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Gordonwr
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 11:22:17 pm »

We camped in MB Zone D and didn't have any problem with our " neighbours " nor did we have anything nicked. I didn't see anything different to the last 9 yrs that I've been to Le Mans, the idiots have always been there if you want to see them. We stayed away from all the known trouble spots, Houx roundabout etc., but did have a brilliant time at the Dfh party, thanks lads!
During the 40yrs I've been going to continental race meetings my worst experienc was at Spa for a GP 10yrs ago when at 2am we had to move campsites due to the behaviour of some German fans that were out of control to such an extent that my 11yr old nephew was physically sick with fright. As I was marshalling we moved up to their campsite at Les Combes for the rest of the weekend.
For me Le Mans still has that special unique atmosphere despite the changes that have taken place and I will be back next year , camping as always only next year I will be in possesion of a free bus pass!! Does it work in France I wonder? So no the Golden Era is still well and truly alive and kicking
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:24:06 pm by Gordonwr » Logged

Always go into a corner too fast, in case it turns out to be a quick one!
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 12:37:57 am »

I was disappointed at the closure of the Arnage/Indy corners on Friday lunchtime (reason unclear but it is possible the road was closed due to a pedestrian fatality according to a pistonheads thread).

Once the police became involved a few years back it settled down to be a great collection of varied exotic cars.And at lunchtime its too early for pissed idiots to spoil it.

Later in the afternoon I stood by the road at Bleu/MB again. It was good natured and very few water pistols to be seen. Nice bit of wheelspin from the Merc E220CDI !

That was closed down by the gendarmes at about 4pm but no one seemed to mind much.

What really pi55ed me off was when trying to get back to MB at 3pm on Sunday (perhaps not a good time) that the police had blocked the road to bleu/MB from the Porsche curves roundabout , unfortunately we decided to go on towards BSJ , big mistake this road was also blocked just after BSJ and they were directing cars essentially to a car park !   Now that is bad traffic management... so we parked up and walked  back to MB on the track, just in time to get the heaviest rain of the weekend.
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 12:52:31 am »

The Mulsanne to Indy section has been closed for a number of years due to it getting a bit mad on fridays. I think the police tried to control it but it takes too many of them, so it is easier to close it.
On the walk up to MB i passed a police van and they looked mightly pissed off as cars were still doing burnouts near them.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
lookymeyer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 12:58:04 am »

This was my 7th Lemans and I echo the sentiments from all the previous posts.  Significantly, the increased 'Chav' presence and mentality...  It seems to have become a popular destination for Stag parties and that tribal mentality, i.e. lets get a load of stickers made up with our names on our clapped out ford cougars and TVRs, drive 400+ miles, get pis*ed and miss the race... what race?! 

I have to say, I prefer the layout of the new village and seemed oblivious to the more 'corporate' nature of proceedings - It did however seem like us 2nd class citizens were not allowed to the presentation ceremony this year - not that we bothered to venture down this year due to the inclement weather.

On the subject of the sh*ty weather - I have read that by law of averages, it's a wash out every 4-5 years (the last being 2001 as I remember!!!)... Let's take something positive and hope the neanderthal brit tos*ers are put off from coming again.

redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 01:25:27 am »

The Mulsanne to Indy section has been closed for a number of years due to it getting a bit mad on fridays. I think the police tried to control it but it takes too many of them, so it is easier to close it.

Not so , I was down there in 2006 , parked up looked at cars then drove off in the direction of Mulsanne without any problems.

Police had set up 2 sets of speed traps to take a few euros from the less observant.
Ant FR

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 09:25:41 am »

On the walk to MB friday night we passed a group of lads on a stag weekend who were stopping cars and trying to open doors and squirt them with their super soakers. They look on the French family inside one of them was worried.
To me they should clamp down on the mad friday burnouts, gopeds and waterpistols, then the chav element will go somewhere else.
Once inside the DFH party faith was restored in Le Mans freindship, cheers lads.

yeah i saw them, that was happening just as we arrived at  Le Mans.  That is also not much fun, turning up at le mans at 11pm on the friday, every one is wankered, and all you wanna do is find your group to get your tickets and site and get your tent up ASAP.  And all any one else wants to do is shout burnout burnout and open your car door, thank god for centrla locking
Ant FR

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 09:30:44 am »

This was my 7th Lemans and I echo the sentiments from all the previous posts.  Significantly, the increased 'Chav' presence and mentality...  It seems to have become a popular destination for Stag parties and that tribal mentality, i.e. lets get a load of stickers made up with our names on our clapped out ford cougars and TVRs, drive 400+ miles, get pis*ed and miss the race... what race?! 

I have to say, I prefer the layout of the new village and seemed oblivious to the more 'corporate' nature of proceedings - It did however seem like us 2nd class citizens were not allowed to the presentation ceremony this year - not that we bothered to venture down this year due to the inclement weather.

On the subject of the sh*ty weather - I have read that by law of averages, it's a wash out every 4-5 years (the last being 2001 as I remember!!!)... Let's take something positive and hope the neanderthal brit tos*ers are put off from coming again.

Yep i agrea about the weather, i have been saying that we were due a wet one, and i think we got off lightly.  This year was no where near as bad as 2001 which saw flooded tents and general misery.  Least this year when it did rain it was just wet but still very warm.  When the race finished iwatched from Porsche Curves with a waterproof jacket and a pair of shorts on, but in 2001 the rain was accompanied by genuinely cold wind. not nice. Plus best of all, at least saturday afternoon and night was dry and warm.

Oh and don't let my comments make you think it was just the brits.  i know too that other nationalities are just as bad and sometimes worse.  I still remember the impromptu euro techno rave that happened at 5 am on the Nurburgring campsite DTM weekend.  Not Fun!!!
enzo
CA Veteran

!!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 12:14:56 pm »

Yep i agrea about the weather, i have been saying that we were due a wet one, and i think we got off lightly.  This year was no where near as bad as 2001 which saw flooded tents and general misery.  Least this year when it did rain it was just wet but still very warm.  When the race finished iwatched from Porsche Curves with a waterproof jacket and a pair of shorts on, but in 2001 the rain was accompanied by genuinely cold wind. not nice. Plus best of all, at least saturday afternoon and night was dry and warm.

Oh and don't let my comments make you think it was just the brits.  i know too that other nationalities are just as bad and sometimes worse.  I still remember the impromptu euro techno rave that happened at 5 am on the Nurburgring campsite DTM weekend.  Not Fun!!!

I agree totally with the comments above this was my 6th Le mans and seemed to encounter a much larger gathering of Idiots of all nationalities but is it Just me or is it a british thing to feel the urge to get your tackle out whenever possible. Was anybody else down at the Stella Bar late Sat night/ early Sun morning to see that prat running around the bar naked. Then getting kicked by a female member of Staff who was rightly cheered on her re-entering the bar.

Also had the pleasure of some alleged French Pescarolo fans on the start grid who booed every national anthem they didn't like ie god save the queen, German and italian anthems, dropped there flags down over peolpes heads as they tried to take photo's of the proceedings and pestered some poor man by throwing every piece of their rubbish at the back of his head.

I know there is always going to be an element of this but I too seemed to encounter more than normal this year also. Angry

"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It's nothing of the kind. The game is about glory. It's about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: