Club Arnage
July 05, 2024, 11:22:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Biggest British/European sporting event???  (Read 10618 times)
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 04:08:17 pm »

It's not good TV.   I've seen some good Documentaries on the race.    But as an ratings booster it's hopless.    Being first in to the first corner or leading the First lap doesn't really mean anything.    The chances are your not going to see some one make heroic out braking manouver going it to some corner to snatch the lead.   Any overtaking is likley to happen along Mulsanne or on the drag down to Indianapolis.   So it's not exciting in that way.   

Not the short lived instant stuff that get TV folk so excited.     

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Jimpanzee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 04:10:08 pm »

Can anyone think of anything bigger.  I thought the gate was about 350,000, compared to Indy's 400,000, and Reading (soon to be enlarged) FCs 22,000.  The Olympics might have 3 x 80,000 stadiums on the go, so we beat them, the Isle of Man is only big enough for about 20,000 and cricket grounds are tiny.

Weird, isn't it.  10,000 people turn up to see some football/cricket/golf/horseracing, and its prime time television.  60,000 Brits go to another country and its not even on Channel 5.

Bit of a random football club's gate size to choose Lorry Huh

Or are you a Royal? Wink
keithk
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 04:15:00 pm »

Can anyone think of anything bigger.  I thought the gate was about 350,000, compared to Indy's 400,000, and Reading (soon to be enlarged) FCs 22,000.  The Olympics might have 3 x 80,000 stadiums on the go, so we beat them, the Isle of Man is only big enough for about 20,000 and cricket grounds are tiny.

Weird, isn't it.  10,000 people turn up to see some football/cricket/golf/horseracing, and its prime time television.  60,000 Brits go to another country and its not even on Channel 5.

The Tour de France claims 15 million but thats over 22 days...
    * Tour de France (France and neighbouring countries) the organisers claim 15 million spectators every year [32], with the Guinness Book of Records claiming a more modest 10 million [33]. This is the highest total for any single sporting event; it should be pointed out, however, that attendance is entirely free and not closely monitored.

Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 04:43:29 pm »

Can anyone think of anything bigger.  I thought the gate was about 350,000, compared to Indy's 400,000, and Reading (soon to be enlarged) FCs 22,000.  The Olympics might have 3 x 80,000 stadiums on the go, so we beat them, the Isle of Man is only big enough for about 20,000 and cricket grounds are tiny.

Weird, isn't it.  10,000 people turn up to see some football/cricket/golf/horseracing, and its prime time television.  60,000 Brits go to another country and its not even on Channel 5.

The Tour de France claims 15 million but thats over 22 days...
    * Tour de France (France and neighbouring countries) the organisers claim 15 million spectators every year [32], with the Guinness Book of Records claiming a more modest 10 million [33]. This is the highest total for any single sporting event; it should be pointed out, however, that attendance is entirely free and not closely monitored.

So, maybe any resident of any town/city that the tour visits, is actually attending the race?

Sneaky way of counting folk.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 05:09:15 pm »

Sorry monkey, 

It's a "British" motor race.  I't just that we hold it in France and let the French think they oganise it.

t.

I assume that is a joke?  If not it is a crazy thing to say  Huh
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 05:35:33 pm »

I'm not bothered that it's not well covered by the press or TV - It's OUR race and I don't want anyone else to know about it!

Selfish Steve

I tested negative for patience.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 05:56:32 pm »

You've got a good point there Steve.
A few years back a car journo described the ritual of attending Le Mans as 'what a tribal gathering or rave must be like, the feeling that we are right and the rest of the world is slightly out of step. Not that you'd want the rest of the world to turn up and spoil it' That sums it up pretty well don't you think?

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 06:00:45 pm »

I'm not bothered that it's not well covered by the press or TV - It's OUR race and I don't want anyone else to know about it!

Selfish Steve

I must admit, Steve I share your views to an extent. Le Mans is a participation sport, and one of the finest. And to participate all you have to do is be there. And while it does draw 60K plus from the UK every year you will most probably find that number represents a large proportion of the total 'interested public'. Even if for example it represents just 10% (and I suspect it is more like 40%) of those with a passion for the Worlds Greatest Motor Race then that makes a total audience in the UK of around 600K. Which when compared to most sport is tiny.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 06:16:23 pm »

Well I'm a saddo because I've watched last year's race (22 hours once you take the ads out) twice.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 07:15:57 pm »

Well I'm a saddo because I've watched last year's race (22 hours once you take the ads out) twice.

Not sad at all Termi, you just like to participate a lot. But work out the maths, there probably are not many who - like you, have watched last years TV coverage twice. Nor like me who has watched the Le Mans movie three times in the last week! Grin
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2007, 07:28:43 pm »

It's definately a Brit race.

Reason:-  Us Brits are reportadly the drinkers of the world.

What a better way of proving this, some of us spend 7 days drinking 24hrspd and then watch a very long race!

It's a Brit race and we allow the French to host it for us.

This year is my 15th.  (15x7x24 = 2520 hours of binge drinking!!!!!).

Jerry

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
rcutler
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2007, 07:48:10 pm »

365x24=8760

8760-168=8592

Therefore 8592 hours of training this year!
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 12:59:23 am »

The stats known to me are:

133 TV channels
TV feed to 25 countries
228 million viewers
1.9 million visitors on the official website doing 45 million page views
670 media outlets worldwide (tv, radio, print media and news agencies) represented at the race
1600 accredited journalists
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 11:49:21 am »

It's definately a Brit race.

Reason:-  Us Brits are reportadly the drinkers of the world.

What a better way of proving this, some of us spend 7 days drinking 24hrspd and then watch a very long race!

It's a Brit race and we allow the French to host it for us.

Jerry

WOW
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 12:02:00 pm »

Yes, you must be very proud...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: