Club Arnage
October 07, 2024, 09:34:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aren't car adverts just rubbish?  (Read 3561 times)
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2007, 04:08:48 pm »

With the promise of a maiden win for the plucky young Englisman, I was tempted (for the first time for a few years) to tune into yesterdays GP in Monte Carlo. I must admit though, I pretty soon regretted it, it wasn't exactly enthralling stuff. So much so in fact that I actually started paying attention to the adverts, and aren't the car ads just rubbish?
There was nothing there to make me, even for a micro second, want to join the club of whatever make was being pedalled, in fact I found them so irritating it was just the opposite! What really got me mumbling into my cheese sandwich was that most of them (the manufacturers) couldn't even be bothered to shoot an advert for the UK market, and most of the cars were on the wrong side of the road and being controlled by leggy blondes without a steering wheel!
Blimey, we invented the car, you'd think they could do an ad for us.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 04:11:27 pm »

I did like the Iveco/All Blacks one tho.....  admittedly thats a lorry not a car Grin

F
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 04:22:23 pm »

....... whatever make was being pedalled......

Two-wheeled cars, H??

I think this cycling extravaganza has gone to your head (as well as other regions)

I agree with the sentiments though.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 06:11:19 pm »

What is it with the Skoda cake?  Mind you, the real thing must win some sort of "ugliest ever car" competition.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 06:45:03 pm »

I also like the VW night driving one with Richard Burton reading from Under Milkwood.  Couldnt entice me to buy a VW tho.....

F
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 08:44:18 pm »

And what is it with the Audi one - all trailing ribbons of colour etc. If you didn't recognise an Audi by the strange guppy mouthed look they now all have you'd never know it was a car advert until the end.

I'm no psychologist so I have no idea how they think that it will sell cars, but no doubt they will. It's all a bit worrying really.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 09:56:29 pm »

Blimey, we invented the car

We did? Just who are we, H?
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 12:44:48 pm »

What is it with the Skoda cake?  Mind you, the real thing must win some sort of "ugliest ever car" competition.

I sort of work in the ad industry and have to say I really do agree with so many of these comments. The Skoda cake ad was awarded 'Ad of the Week' in campaign magazine last week. (Campaign mag is a publication written for wa+kers read by wa+nkers which is why I read it I guess) And you think why?? Someone makes a big cake and it looks like a car, I don't get it, is it some sort of commentary on what its handling is like or something? The Audi ribbons ad, Sh+t totally devoid of a concept. And I am sorry the All Blacks truck thing is more irritating than all of them. Bet you the marketing Director is a Kiwi, that likes Rugby. Oh and lets not forget the cringe inducing 'gorgeous' Jag commercial. I would never buy one of their cars on the strength of that concept alone.
Rant over.

I can't help feeling that perhaps I am in the wrong business. Angry
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 12:48:24 pm by monkey » Logged
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 01:17:30 pm »

And I am sorry the All Blacks truck thing is more irritating than all of them. Bet you the marketing Director is a Kiwi, that likes Rugby.

Iveco are the official global sponsors of the All Blacks team, (and there is the Iveco Series in rugby) so there is a connection!! 

I used to work for Iveco too!   Smiley

F
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 01:40:34 pm »

I was wondering why there was a truck advert on TV. I mean its not something one normally buys is it. 'oh yeah we were going to buy a new Alfa Sportwagon because of the kids but we've decided to in for the Iveco Stralis instead- its much more child friendly!
More money than sense methinks.
And i don't give a toss about ball sports too. (Except cricket)

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 01:44:26 pm »

Last weekend (which was a rare occasion that I was home and in front of the television) either Motors or Eurosport showed a bloody Citroen advert in what seemed like every frigging ad break with the volume cranked up a notch just in case I may have managed to tune the irritating tune out of my brain  Angry Angry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: