Club Arnage
July 01, 2024, 01:09:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1970 v 2006  (Read 6923 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 06:15:30 pm »

Another great piece of history is 'La Ronde Infernale' film taken during the 1969 race.

£11.98 from amazon.

Agree about 'French Kiss with death', a great read, if I remember correctly the film crew was on site for longer than a month.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Steve TTTD
CA Veteran

No they didn't build 'em like that.....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 06:26:27 pm »

There's a great story in the book about how, during filming one of the cars came round Indy to find a 'dead body' on the road.
When the driver stopped and got back to the body it turned out to be McQueen, with a stills camera looking for some action shots...

TeamTickleTheDragon
You Buy It, We'll Race It
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 06:26:49 pm »

Thats the fella- it was made by Ford, has in car with whitmore in a GT40, I love the straw bales and white painted trunks on the  Mulsanne trees, those guys had balls. A copy was stuck on the cover of motorsport for free about 3 years ago. Great little film of a classic race.   

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 06:33:02 pm »

What about the extra (the Ferrari mechanic with the mexican moustache) who took one of the 512s from the solar garage in Arnage into LM one night on a date with some local girl. The Solar guys went apeshit but McQ was well impressed and wanted to know if he had got any ass!

Dick Dasterdly was right
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 06:39:44 pm »

Thats the fella- it was made by Ford, has in car with whitmore in a GT40, I love the straw bales and white painted trunks on the  Mulsanne trees, those guys had balls. A copy was stuck on the cover of motorsport for free about 3 years ago. Great little film of a classic race.   

Sir John Whitmore and McQueen were great mates, McQueen raced his Mini at Brands once I think, so it is possible the filming in 69 was some sort of trial run.

BTW. Whitmore is a top bloke and has even signed my copy of FKwD, he now runs corses on self improvement and is often seen in Crawley!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 06:47:15 pm »

Yeah- that mini race was a great scrap apparently. although he's  smiling in the photo I have, McQ was well pissed off that Cristabel Carlisle beat him. I think it was in 66 when he was over here filming  The War Lover. He was also big pals with old 'Dinger' Bell.

Dick Dasterdly was right
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 09:17:50 pm »

On the subject of good books, i highly recommend Racing In The Rain by John Horsman. I'm sure a few of you already have it, but if not its worth a punt. Quite techie but good none the less.

Dick Dasterdly was right
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: