Club Arnage
July 01, 2024, 12:46:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1970 v 2006  (Read 6921 times)
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2007, 03:15:45 pm »

Apologies if this has already featured but I just spent a happy half hour here: http://www.rjsmith.com/Le-Mans-Then-and-Now.html looking at pics comparing 1970 and 2005/6. Quite good fun, even if some of the captions are pretty dodge
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 03:51:57 pm »

Nice find. A lot of safety features have been added since 1970 of course, but can't help thinking it was a better experience for the punter back then.

DfH very conspicuouse in picture 12

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 04:16:43 pm »

Was it 1970 that McQueen filmed Le Mans? The last year of the old Maison Blanche section too?

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 04:31:07 pm »

Was it 1970 that McQueen filmed Le Mans? The last year of the old Maison Blanche section too?

It was the date of the film, the 1970's pics are lifted from the movie
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 04:58:32 pm »

Nice find. A lot of safety features have been added since 1970 of course, but can't help thinking it was a better experience for the punter back then.

I have seen a lot of changes re safety features over the years as I know you have too. It is interesting to see how close to the action the spectators were in 1970. I remember in the mid 80's how there was nothing but an earth bank and a 1 mitre of mesh fence between you and the track and at Arnage - you could just about reach and touch the cars if you were so inclined. That's progress I guess. I must admit if you look at the sheer size of the crowds in the 1970 shots at the start finish line it is amazing. Away in the country though at Mulsanne and Arnage not so much so barely anyone there at all. I wonder if in those days perhaps the spectators stayed more around the main action near the pits and the Tribs? I have to say that one of the true delights of Le Mans is being able to travel so easily to so many vantage points around the circuit. So if this ability to travel is a development since 1970, then I think the experience is all the richer for that.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 05:12:33 pm »

It was the date of the film, the 1970's pics are lifted from the movie

I thought it was filmed in 1969 - maybe a Saga moment.  For on-track shots, they had a reel-to-reel camera mounted on top of the car (in fairing).  Trouble was, a reel of film didn't last as long as a tank of fuel, so the car had to make more pit-stops.  They were using the very last pit, and you got a grandstand view of the pit activity from the top of the old ACO tower.

Nice set of photos, though I'd question the description against the 'Pit Straight 1970' (17 pics from the end).  'No Garages'.....WTF.  They may have been smaller than todays, but there were still 55 garages!!

Pity, I lost a heap of photos from '68 '69 and '70 in a house move years ago.

Del
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 05:14:29 pm by DelBoy » Logged

Team Delboy Racing
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 05:23:46 pm »

Just been trawling through my old programes and i think the in-car footage was done in 70. There is a car entered by Solar productions. I have pictures of it somewhere- an open Porker i think with a big camera stuck on the nose. Must have caused havoc with the aero!
I also have a ford produced film from the 69 race that has a brief cameo of McQueen and it refers to him planning a film- this was pre production stuff maybe?

Dick Dasterdly was right
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 05:36:31 pm »

All details about the making of the Mcqueen film are covered in depth in the excellent book "A French Kiss with Death".
£43 at Amazon but well worth the money.

Steve East Anglian cobras

LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 05:39:07 pm »

That was 2005. We weren't at the start at all that year!

Still everybody thinks it isus.

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 05:39:54 pm »

Nice set of photos, though I'd question the description against the 'Pit Straight 1970' (17 pics from the end).  'No Garages'.....WTF.  They may have been smaller than todays, but there were still 55 garages!!

I don't think they had garages as such, in that they weren't for putting the cars in, only crew and spares.  Cars were worked on in the pit lane, which was just a white line away from the race track!

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 05:43:38 pm »

That book is a must have IMHO, Steve.  It's full of incredible stuff.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 05:52:20 pm »

As an aside, in the 72 program it refers to the new Porsche curves section increasing the circuit length and making the '70 lap record unlikely to be beaten. It then continues to say that the 72 lap distance will remain unique as after the race construction will begin on the new Mulsanne straight that will run along inside the existing one, keeping disruption of this major route to Tours to a minimum! Wonder what happened there then?

Dick Dasterdly was right
Steve TTTD
CA Veteran

No they didn't build 'em like that.....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 05:53:39 pm »

I bought the book a couple of weeks after it came out...
Total agreement that it's fantastic.

A possibility as to why there are not may spectators around Indy and Arnage is because, apart from the 'in race' footage the rest of the filming was done after the race, the Solar team came back in 'I think' September of that year.

TeamTickleTheDragon
You Buy It, We'll Race It
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 06:01:56 pm »

I bought the book a couple of weeks after it came out...
Total agreement that it's fantastic.

A possibility as to why there are not may spectators around Indy and Arnage is because, apart from the 'in race' footage the rest of the filming was done after the race, the Solar team came back in 'I think' September of that year.

I must admit I had wondered if that might be an explanation Steve
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 06:10:10 pm »

That rings a bell- i too have the book somewhere- great big bloody thing. Apparently the post race filming dragged on so long that they had to spray green paint onto the trees at Arnage! Its a cracker of a book that- wonder where it is?

Dick Dasterdly was right
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: