Club Arnage
September 19, 2024, 11:11:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have £30K to spend on a new car..... What would you recommend...  (Read 10028 times)
Gaspode
CA Veteran

We don't need no stinkeen badges...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 07:22:06 pm »

re Porsche 911.   What age of car am I looking at?   7 years,  8 years, 9 years plus...

The cynic in me is a bit concerned on spending 30K on a 7/8/9+ year old car.
As I'd be having nice expensive bimonthly bills to keep it on the road.

Anyone care to share their ownership experience of a Porker this old....

Cheers
Gaspode
TobyAnscombe

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 07:34:01 pm »

From the looking that I have done the best money is on a 996 at the moment; there seems to be a bit of a premium for a 993 which is a bit of a bummer.

http://www.911uk.com/ and http://www.911virgin.com/ are the two places that I am using for reference.

I would have no problem with an old Porsche, even going back 10 years as long as it has a FSH or a recognized independent although I cannot back that up (yet!) 
rcutler
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 07:43:55 pm »

How about an M3 Convertible? There is one on Autotrader for 27500 and only has 9k miles on it and is on a 53 plate.
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 10:51:50 pm »

How about an M3 Convertible? There is one on Autotrader for 27500 and only has 9k miles on it and is on a 53 plate.

Yeah and then lend it to rick for a week...he'll bounce it off two kerbs and a goat for you Smiley

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
rcutler
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 10:54:10 pm »

Yeah and then lend it to rick for a week...he'll bounce it off two kerbs and a goat for you Smiley

You are going to let me have one for a week! The last one lasted less then 4 hours in my hands! Ooops, thank god the Boss prefers the new wheels and interior trim, it was fitted better then at the factory.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 12:46:41 pm »

My opinion FWIW;

What Not To Wear - Unless you can get one of the lightweight "sports" 996s, a Turbo or a GT2 or whatever, then I wouldn't bother. The ordinary 996s are very fine motorcars, don't get me wrong, but (he said whispering) they really are a bit dull. To the point of boredom. The 993 is a wonderful driving machine and that is why the later models are more expensive than the equivalent three year younger 996; people will pay a premium for the real McCoy. The Boxster is a wonderful car too, but come on, would you really want to be seen in one with it's "hairdresser's/woman's car" tag? Unfair yes, but nonetheless, that's how it's perceived. I think you're right about the Audi TT, too common and actually not a truly great drive if you're after a proper "driver's" car. I understand why the S2000 is out if you're 6ft4. Dodge Viper? No way, let's not even go down that road again!

Lookin' Good - I agree with Rick about the BMW M3, utterly stunning to drive. The 330ci coupe is no slouch either and much cheaper to run and you could just about get a new one. The Nissan 350z should be firmly on your shopping list too. You could consider a modern TVR if you're mental enough but it will break down. Maybe a Corvette if you can afford the fuel!

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 02:52:02 pm »

re Porsche 911.   What age of car am I looking at?   7 years,  8 years, 9 years plus...

The cynic in me is a bit concerned on spending 30K on a 7/8/9+ year old car.
As I'd be having nice expensive bimonthly bills to keep it on the road.

Anyone care to share their ownership experience of a Porker this old....

Cheers
Gaspode

£30K will allow you to park your bum in an '02 C2, perhaps with limited options on the spec.

The same money would get you into a very good 993. You could look at a Targa if you want something a little more interesting than the standard C2.

If you look very hard, you might see 2000 or maybe at a push 2001 C4, with some styling on them. It's personal choice, but the GT3 kit on the C4 makes for a good looking car IMO and a very capable car.

It is perhaps fair to say that the drive is not as engaging as the 993, but to be honest, where do you get to hang the back end out anyway unless you are looking for a track car. Porsche purists will always tell you that the 993 is the last true 911. It is fair to say that the build quality of the 993 has not been matched by the 996, 997 or indeed the Boxster. The 993 was the "hewn from solid granite" car.

If looking for a 996, be sure to get a vehicle with a full OPC history, or a very well respected indy. Always check the RMS situation too.
The 48K service is a large one, but still within sensible bounds in my view.

Minor services are reasonable, at a couple of hundred quid, with the biggy at around £850. This does include for oil, plugs, poly belt etc.

If the car is around the 40K miles or above, pay particular attention to the feel of the clutch. Remember that many of these cars were and still are second cars. Lots of short journeys, with lots of gear changes. If the clutch needs doing, ALWAYS get the RMS done at the same time.

For me, 996 ownership was a good experience. I lost £4.5K on a £40K car after 2 years of ownership; not at all bad in my book.

If true exotica is your desire, there are many better options than the 911. But, as a totally usable andvery capable car, the 993 or the 996 are great contenders, in my book.

Good luck.

PM me if you want to talk it through.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 05:48:19 pm »

How much is a decent 2nd hand Noble and are they reliable?

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
TobyAnscombe

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 06:58:48 pm »

Cheers Andy,

The 350Z was the car of choice up until the weekend but the fact that a Boxster has double the luggage makes it more practical....(Ha! two seater sports convertible and practical in the same sentence; who said there wasnt enough irony these days...) which was a bit of a bummer as I really like the shape and the fact that there aren't very many of them about

Hairdressers car, hmmm, less so than the TT but I concede the point but it is her car after all. I just want to drive the nuts off it round the track on weekends. Besides, I drive a MG Midget normally (ok, very heavily modified but..) so the hairdresser aspect doesn't worry me too much!

Although my money is on a 993 I cannot see the fact that 993's are more expensive than 996's continuing; how many other cars are worth more than their younger siblings?

Can't do a beemer; just has the wrong badge (inverted snob moment) although the couple that I have driven have all been rather good, in fact a friend of mine owns a number of 7's and 850's. The Z4 looks good in a pubes coming out of the bonnet sort of way....

Still, its a great dilemma; even a DB or similar is sort of in the budget range (although I know that it will be a dog!)
Gaspode
CA Veteran

We don't need no stinkeen badges...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 10:39:07 pm »

Chaps

Been for a test drive in a Honda S2000.  ( I'm 5ft 10 - so I fit ).

OK - It needs revving to get the best out of it.... but it does seem a hoot to drive on country roads.

Thoughts on this car ( The current Mrs Gaspode likes it too - and is happy that the car is new )

Cheers
Gaspode
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 09:33:44 am »

Chaps

Been for a test drive in a Honda S2000.  ( I'm 5ft 10 - so I fit ).

OK - It needs revving to get the best out of it.... but it does seem a hoot to drive on country roads.

Thoughts on this car ( The current Mrs Gaspode likes it too - and is happy that the car is new )

Cheers
Gaspode

I tried one, along with a Boxster and a 350Z before finally going for the 'Z' and have been happy with the decision for the last 2 years.

Rationale for my decision was:

Boxster a great drive but too common, a bit of an image problem, and after talking to some other owners, not as bulletproof as the maker's reputation implied. Also the staff at the (official) dealership treated me like I was something that they had just scraped off their shoe. Not the way I want to be treated when spending the thick end of £30K.

S2000 is indeed a hoot but too much 'all or nothing' and a bit tricky on the limit for my taste. I didn't think I could live with having to keep the revs up when I wasn't in the mood just to make reasonable progress. Build quality very good though.

The 'Z' was that little bit different and a good combination of low end torque and top end grunt that almost makes it 2 cars in one. It's still fairly uncommon as the manufacturer restricts the number imported each year - this should also help residuals come the time to sell on. Looks good too. I have a coupe rather than the ragtop but, with a bit of planning, have not really found the comparative lack of luggage space to be a problem.

Nice to have the problem of deciding. Let us know what you choose.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Jem
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 02:21:39 pm »

Go for the 996 Porsche.  Its more refined than a 993, better visibility, its quicker (small but important point), cheaper to service, the pedals are not offset in the 996 as they are in a 993, the dash looks like someone actually thought about it, better stereo...shall I go on. 

I had a 98 996 C2 which had the full GT3 Kit and wheels and sports exhaust, basically trouble free and sad to see it go. The guys at Tech9 looked after it for me and gave a very good service at not a lot of money.

Swopped the C2 for a 996 Turbo which is phenomenal but equally as reliable as the C2.

For me it has to be Porker every time, who cares if theres a few about, thats because they are built to last.  I think I'm right in saying that something like 66% of all Porsches ever built are still on the road.

Plus there's the racing heritage (eyes now glaze over....917, 908,956, 962, Moby Dick, 936, lets not forget the white 959 that went around a few years ago....)

Don't dither any longer, just buy one !!!

Jem
TobyAnscombe

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2007, 08:48:39 am »

Went for a Boxster S in the end - 2003, Arctic Silver with full leather, Aircon, Bose system upgrade and light upgrade (Xenons). all in all just under 24k.

Just had a new engine fitted by Porsche as it was part of a batch that were recalled - laygear or something (need to check!) so has 100 miles on it and a two year Porsche warranty. Car has a 6 month warranty from the dealer.

Very nice drive, back end is very predictable(!) and Rachel loves it! will be after a spare set of rims at some point for track wheels and am  looking at booking a couple of one-on-one instruction sessions before our September grande tour (which was always planned to include the 'ring...)

Thanks for all the comments folks - shame that I will be taking the support van down in June but a promise is a promise (so those that I have promised space to have no worry!)
Jem
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2007, 01:30:43 pm »

Congratulations, hope you enjoy it.

Jem

ps ask someone else to drive the van !!!
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2007, 02:50:21 pm »

Thanks for all the comments folks - shame that I will be taking the support van down in June but a promise is a promise (so those that I have promised space to have no worry!)

Nothing wrong with that... its our prefered method of travelling to LM too!! Wink

Wishing you years of joy with your new purchase!

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: