Club Arnage
October 02, 2024, 04:43:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This bunch of pratts give motorsport a very bad name  (Read 14114 times)
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2007, 04:40:50 pm »

Oh yes, Andy, I forgot to say that the Channel 4 series about the Gumball was by no means anti.  It involved the presenter hitching lifts in various vehicles and seemed to be squarely aimed at a certain sort of petrolhead (like some of the LMsters described above, for instance.)

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
nickliv
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2007, 04:58:27 pm »

I've seen these braying tosspots on the TV before, usually in programmes squarely aimed at a particular demographic;- all lads mags and fake tits.

An incident like this has been waiting to happen, and as ever, it's the innocent parties who lose out.

The next gumball (If it happens) should see a nice 8 inch long iron spike fixed to each steering wheel and dashboard. That should calm down the driving somewhat.

You're right Termie, it's not a rally, just a hoory henry jaunt through foreign countries where you might not get the book thrown at you. It could be loosely argued that it's more like a reliability trial, if everyone wasn't driving like a see you next tuesday.

You buy a ticket on the gate at a circuit, or pass a sign on your way into a stage. On that ticket or sign are printed the words 'motor sport is dangerous'

I bet the residents of macedonia never got to read anything like this.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 05:13:54 pm by nickliv » Logged
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2007, 05:11:51 pm »

bingo up their hooters

Holy mackerel!!! A friend of mine had Bingo up the hooter once, and I can tell you he was none too pleased about it. Bingo, that is...

I remember seeing a Porsche up a tree in the late eighties, and a TVR up another one, both in a lane near the Mulsanne kink in the early hours. I thought I'd discovered a Sports Car Orchard, but it turns out both drivers were pissed and had been playing chicken. They never made it home for kippers, and I suppose that's Darwinism in action before our very eyes.

I'm terrified for poor old Bingo now, I hope this sort of thing doesn't catch on.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2007, 05:58:28 pm »

OK a difficult one this.

There can be little doubt, I would have thought, that what happened on the Scumball was an avoidable tragedy, but we are kidding ourselves if we think that none of those who are interested in, or perhaps even participate in the 'rally', attend Le Mans...

I guess that the difference between Le Mansters and Scumballers is that of the latter group the majority drive like complete tw*ts whereas among the former the majority seem to drive with at least a  modicum of restraint.

But here comes another but...  There is no doubt in my mind (I have been going long enough to witness it) that some of those heading down to Le Mans are RACING - perhaps only against those in their own group but the manner of their driving makes it apparent that is the case.  These folk are just as big a bloody liability (and disgrace) as the 'official' Scumballers.

This site is populated by people who love motorsport in any number of guises.  We read about, watch it on the TV, over the internet and, of course at the track.  Some of us here may even be lucky enough to participate in motorsport.  BUT PLEASE CAN WE LEAVE IT ALL WHERE IT SHOULD BE - ON THE TRACK, SPECIAL STAGE, DRAG STRIP (whatever is your bag) AND NOT ON THE PUBLIC HIGHWAYS
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 06:00:43 pm by oldtimer » Logged
Big_M

I am a gay man trapped in a women's body

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2007, 10:59:31 pm »

I dislike some of the driving (and the bragging) to LM, I have said for a long time that there will be a fatality (not the first I think?) at the roundabout and in the town centre or on a campsite.   

Totally agree - which is one of the reasons that we take the scenic route to Le Mans and travel on the Wednesday.  The journey is part of the trip. 

A couple of years ago some tosser in a TVR chose to wheelspin on MB around the roads that we were camped alongside - he thought this was great fun for half an hour at 2am.  Nice one dickhead, I felt less secure in my tent adjacent to the roadway.  How sober do I think he was? 

Think I might know this person - and yes he is a class one dickhead. 

I have never seen the "antics" on Houx roundabout - we always go into Le Mans on the Friday for the Drivers' Parade.  But I have been on a coach returning to the camp site that was subjected to what I can only describe as a mob banging on the sides of the coach.  The French driver was taking no prisoners - how no one was killed I don't know. 

Unfortunately a lot of blokes consume stupid juice instead of alcohol at Le Mans.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2007, 12:49:20 am »

I gave up trying to go quickly on public roads years ago.  There's just too muck traffic, so I head for the track.

One of the concepts of scumball, is that they go to places like Macedonia, where they might be able to go quickly.  The same probably applies to the drive to Le Mans.  But you can't drive like a Kamikazee pilot, you have to stay within your abilities and the conditions.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2007, 12:17:46 am »

My sister and I have many times considered taking part in the gumball .The £8k entrance fee was the stopping point.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2007, 01:04:28 pm »

found the follwoing in wikipedia, lots of sources mentioned there:

On May 2, a convoy of four Gumball 3000 vehicles was involved in a traffic accident near the town of Struga, Republic of Macedonia. The Techart Porsche 911 Turbo of Nick Morley and Matthew McConville hit an oncoming car, at a reported speed of more than 200 km/h, after which, according to media reports, they tried to escape the country via the nearby border post. However, they were stopped and arrested by the police, and will be held in custody until their trial has begun. The casualties reported in the accident were the 67-year old driver of the other vehicle (a Volkswagen Golf), who died on his way to the hospital, and Margarita Cepunjoska, wife of Vladimir Cepunjoski, who died in hospital from injuries sustained in the crash on May 4. After being let out on bail, one of the two rally drivers involved in the accident, Nick Morley, tried to flee the country in a private jet. He was arrested again by the Macedonian police before he could board his plane.

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2007, 09:05:21 pm »

Did they ever have any competitive sections? You would think with such exotic cars they could have had a convoy through cities and a competitive section somewhere. Then have a party. Always looked like it was doomed.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: