Club Arnage
October 07, 2024, 05:27:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bob Woolmer  (Read 2823 times)
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2007, 02:20:35 pm »

I grew up as a Warwickshire CC fan and Bob Woolmer was probably the best coach the Bears have ever had. He was the brains and influence behind the great Dermot Reeve side in the early nineties. He had the skill to blend a band of journeymen with a springling of star players and make a world class side. He was largely responsible for obtaining the services of B C Lara, culminating in the unforgetable and unsurpassed 501 at Edgbaston. Warks swept all before them in those heady days and the man behind the team that won all the silverware was Bob Woolmer.

I was in Sebring when I heard the sad and shocking news that Bob Woolmer had died. Having heard the previous day that Pakistan had lost to Ireland, I was honestly surprised at the coincidence but had assumed it must have been a stress related heart attack. Many of you know I'm lucky enough to be travelling to the Caribbean on sunday for two weeks sun and cricket world cup action. But I'm now going with a slightly heavy heart having listened to today's announcement that Bob was murdered, presumably in the name of the game I so love, and I'm struggling a bit to get my head round that concept.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 02:42:21 pm »

the Bears

Not being a particular fan of cricket I was surprised to read that your local county side are known as the Bears.  Is this just a 'local' nickname for the side or is cricket going down the same path so beloved of American sports teams and Rugby League sides over here?  I do hope not.

On a more serious note...

My not being a particular fan of cricket does not stop me though from recognising and appreciating its qualities.  It is a game of great skill but also a bastion of all that is good (or should be good) about sport.  Camararderie, team spirit, sportsmanship and so on.  From what I have picked up from the news bulletins over the last few days it certainly would appear that Bob Woolmer was the opitome of these admirable characteristics.

Any death in such circumstances is obviously a tragedy and thoughts and commiserations must go to Bob Woolmer's family and friends as well as to the world of cricket at large.

It would probably be only scant consolation to the Woolmer family if it turned out that the murder was not related to the game Bob served so well and loved so much, but I hope that is how it turns out to be.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 02:32:23 pm by oldtimer » Logged
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 04:31:15 pm »

Thanks Oldtimer, you can rest asurred that the Bears haven'y gone all Yankified, at least not yet. They are so called because the bear has been the heraldic symbol of the county of Warwickshire since before Shakespeare's day. Nice words about BW too.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 12:14:53 am »

Thanks Oldtimer, you can rest asurred that the Bears haven'y gone all Yankified, at least not yet. They are so called because the bear has been the heraldic symbol of the county of Warwickshire since before Shakespeare's day. Nice words about BW too.

Andy - Shakespeare was indeed a Warks man, the heraldry came from bear baiting and the man wrote a mean tragedy or two.  This one, a Tragedy? - Yes.  A great loss to cricket? - Yes.  Would the man want you to not enjoy your cricket because of it?  Probably not.... so, with a heavy heart or not, do go, enjoy, and raise a glass or two to a true legend of the game called Bob Woolmer,

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 04:40:25 am »

Sad new's indeed. Bob was a man who lived for cricket. I cannot think how anyone could murder him for a cricket result.
Andy enjoy your two weeks in the sun as he would have wanted you to.
Thanks Bob Woolmer. A great man.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 06:07:01 am »

Hi Andy,
           While Canada is not one of the great cricketing nations Bob was honoured with a 1/2 page obituary this week end in the Toronto Star.
Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: