Club Arnage
September 27, 2024, 09:28:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scalextric track compatibility  (Read 20307 times)
nickliv
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2007, 06:04:24 pm »

Very true steve.

And a spare aircraft hangar eh Paddy?
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

Guided by a force greater than curry.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2007, 12:34:20 am »

When I move into my new permanent house in about 6 months to a year I am seriously considering building a permanent track, either a wooden routed track or a scalextric sport digital track. Check out slotforum.com for inspiration some of the permanent layouts done by the members are unbelievable. I am definetly going to have to brush up on my woodwork and modelling skills if I want to achieve anything really good though.

Slotforum has loads of good advice about powerbases and modifying the digital lane changers to prevent the powerbase from becoming overloaded - if you are serious about your slot cars.

Le Mans as a permanent track has one fatal flaw that rarely sees it used is that as it is effectively a large loop people with limited space i.e. a garage, shed, loft, slotcar den, see it as a very inefficient use of the space available. This is the problem with most modern circuits although their are exceptions such as Catalunya.

PS Nick I'm glad it worked.  Wink

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2007, 10:48:07 am »

We've considered doing the Bugatti but it's a nightmare scale-wise.  Currently some obscure part of the US Railroad system has triumphed in taking over one of the barns but maybe once I've got all our junk out of the other one.... Roll Eyes

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2007, 06:10:32 pm »

Most Scalextric permanent layouts don't strictly fit scale the way model railways do. Their are some interesting discussions on this topic on the above mentioned forum.
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2007, 09:28:12 pm »

Did not have scalextrix as a kid, but Triang minic -

who else knows this system?

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2007, 10:20:08 pm »

Minic Motorways.  Most of my mates had this.  There was a Mk2 Jag, and a doubledecker bus.  Its worth a fortune now apparently.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2007, 11:02:55 pm »

I built brad a great layout (Still hinged up on his bedroom wall) but always had  alot of problems with thermal expansion and contraction of the track disorting it - are there any recognised solutions to this?
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2007, 11:45:01 pm »

Not really for the classic track, the new sport track is supposed to be a lot better for that. Most rail distortions can be fixed quite easily with a lollipop stick or a small swiss army knife, just pop it in the slot and give it a sharp twist.

I had a look to see if anyone else had this problem and a few people in warmer climates than ours have had the thermal expansion problem on their permanent tracks, their solution after several warpangs and cracks was to remove one section of track when the circuit is not in use. This allows the track to expand and contract without any actual stress being placed on the rails.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 11:52:26 pm by Jay (Team Cannonball) » Logged
nickliv
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2007, 09:58:41 pm »

Le Mans as a permanent track has one fatal flaw that rarely sees it used is that as it is effectively a large loop people with limited space i.e. a garage, shed, loft, slotcar den, see it as a very inefficient use of the space available. This is the problem with most modern circuits although their are exceptions such as Catalunya.

[/quote]

I can see what you mean, I'm quite tempted my the Brands GP circuit as there's not a huge amount of wasted space. It'd have to be properly done though, with the gradients etc. (And maybe that bit of the M 20 past the back of the loop as well.)

I suspect Google Earth may be my friend in the next 2 to 3 years.
nickliv
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2007, 07:17:29 pm »

Further to a permenent layout idea. I intend building a 7 by 11 M garage and workshop with 'storage' above. Probably usable space of 4 X 11 m. Storage can go down the edges under the eaves. I will have a Scalextric loft even if Mrs Liv kills me.

But I need to build the house to go with it first. Otherwise she really will kill me.
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2007, 07:26:21 pm »

To celebrate becoming a doctor I invested in a Digital scalextric set. It is really good fun, I just need to get some more lane changers and I'll be sorted. Only problem is I have 200+ non-digital cars and at 10 quid a chip I don't think I will be converting them all. I think I will need two permanent layouts. God I need to buy a big house.

mike(liverpool boys)
Club Arnage Demi God

If in doubt,flat out! - Colin McRae

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2007, 07:44:00 pm »

I had a mighty metro set when i was a wee fella that was mighty fun untill i wrecked the cars trying to make them do burnouts  Tongue but reading this has made me want a set again. any suggestions for a basic set for arsing about with and can the modern cars do burnouts yet???  Grin

They have lumps of what round the back???
nickliv
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2007, 07:48:24 pm »

You used to be able to get a piece of track which looked a bit like a rolling road, the rear wheels of the cars would sit on the rollers, and you could rev the nuts off them, smoke oil would then give you a burnout effect, moving a switch would release both cars at the same time, for a 'fair' race start. I never had one, but I do remember seeing them in the dim and distant past.
mike(liverpool boys)
Club Arnage Demi God

If in doubt,flat out! - Colin McRae

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2007, 08:01:41 pm »

Now that would be cool  Grin i would end up smoking the whole house out though Undecided i used to just put a book or somethig heavy in front of the car and rev it up,end result being 2 burned out motors and a very upset 10 year old.

They have lumps of what round the back???
nickliv
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 08:18:20 pm »

http://tinyurl.com/2gwwkw
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: