Club Arnage
September 23, 2024, 11:15:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daytona 500 Fiasco  (Read 10246 times)
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2007, 07:26:42 pm »

Tell you what - it's getting pretty funny out here, with all the devious goings-on out at the Speedway. Toyota's much vaunted entry into the Nextel Cup Championship has gone a little piss-shaped, even before the first hurdle.
An illegal 'fuel additive' was found in the intake manifold of Michael Waltrips' #55 Camry, which has resulted in the summary booting-out of his crew chief and the competition director of MWR! Waltrip starts his '07 Cup campaign with NEGATIVE 100 points and is now trying to qualify the spare car.
This on top of four other severe arse-kickings for various rule-breaking misdemeanors (mainly aero-naughties).
I wonder if the higher-ups at Toyota are thinking, "What the HELL are we doing, placing our reputation in the hands of these frickin' hi'billies".
The 500 "America's Race" runs this coming Sunday, kick-off at 3.00pm EST.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 08:20:12 pm »

Thanks Matt, but I'll be descaling the kettle then  Roll Eyes

Steve East Anglian cobras

Muzorewa

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 08:38:38 pm »

Wasn't it Toyota who got thrown out of the world rally championship some years ago for a blatantly illegal turbo which was cleverly designed to get past the scrutineers?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 08:41:20 pm by Muzorewa » Logged
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 08:42:08 pm »

Thanks Matt, but I'll be descaling the kettle then  Roll Eyes

Yeh, I'll be busy jogging... er I mean running... water

>Martini

Well I thought it was funny when I wrote it...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
nickliv
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 09:03:46 pm »

Wasn't it Toyota who got thrown out of the world rally championship some years ago for a blatantly illegal turbo which was cleverly designed to get past the scrutineers?

Yes it was, a spring loaded mechanism in the airbox which bypassed the restrictor plate iirc. It was tte, or the people who started up the toyota F1 team.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 09:07:12 pm »

It was indeed - chucked out completely - if I remember rightly, it was a variable size air restrictor, which allowed them to run above the restrictor size, allowing more air into the turbo = generating more power.  The FIA took a very dim view of it because it was so cleverly engineered (i.e. deliberate cheating rather than just "misinterpreting the regulations") that they banned them from the WRC from 1994 and 1995.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 10:23:26 pm »

Its a shame they don't cheat in F1, they might get somewhere (well for a short time).

I remember Daytona.  Wasn't there a limit to the capacity of the fuel tank, so some hillbilly invented the ten gallon fuel pipe

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 11:42:57 pm »

Cheating bastards! Grin.
Seriously, in NASCAR they say if your not cheating, your not trying hard enough.  Best story I ever heard was the time AJ Foyt got caught putting fuel in the fire extinguisher, the scrutineers had questions about the hose running from the bottle to the fuel tank, can't imagine what they thought was wrong about that sight.
Fax
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 12:39:55 am »

I heard that Steve Perez had to fit a new steel cage into his Audi Sport Quattro (Group B rally car) not because the original cage was aluminium, but because they discovered that the cage had been used as a secret NOS tank, piped to the engine.

Might explain why the group B cars tended to explode on impact in major crashes.
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 12:42:56 am »

I would be watching it live except that NASN that I pay good money to to watch it have yet to do a deal for this year's Nascar coverage and have been told it won't be until later in the year do to a buy out by Disney having delayed negiotiations. Best i can now do is to sit up from 12.10am until 3.10 am monday morning watching the delayed coverage on Channel 5. Angry
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 09:44:53 am »

It happens in every branch of the sport, from club racing right up to the top levels of NASCAR, WRC, F1 and the like. 

Remember when Tyrrell used ball bearings in a water tank to make post-race weight?  They installed a 3.3-gallon water tank in the car and rigged a system whereby water was sprayed into the air inlet trumpets, which was legal - refueling was illegal then, but the Tyrrells would come in late in the race to have the water injection tank topped up. The mechanics, however, added the balls along with the water.  Discovery occurred when a tank split in the pit lane at Brands Hatch in '84, scattering ball bearings all over the place - that got them banned for the rest of the year and their earlier results declared null and void.   BAR tried the additional fuel ballast trick in '05.

A couple of the old NASCAR ones that really tickled me related to the weight game.  Darrell Waltrip used to go through scrutineering with a set of wheels fitted that had several pounds of weight hidden in them; running slower in the early laps of a race, after the first pit stop with standard wheels bolted on, he would run a lot faster - it took quite a while before anyone cottoned on to that one.   Another one involved the driver's helmet - include one in pre-race weighing with the lining filled with lead and then, just before the start, have a radio problem and use a second helmet weighing considerably less.....

It's all about that wonderful grey area of pushing the envelope and finding loopholes between compliance and cheating.   I think NASCAR have even stopped calling it cheating now preferring to cal it "actions detrimental to the sport"

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Bas
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 10:11:10 am »

I would be watching it live except that NASN that I pay good money to to watch it have yet to do a deal for this year's Nascar coverage and have been told it won't be until later in the year do to a buy out by Disney having delayed negiotiations. Best i can now do is to sit up from 12.10am until 3.10 am monday morning watching the delayed coverage on Channel 5. Angry
Or alternatively download TVU Player from http://www.tvunetworks.com/downloads/player.htm , Install the program, open it and find the channel labeled "53060 - Wheels".
It was broadcasting The Duels yesterday and will most probably do so with the race.
It will take a few minutes for the video to stabilize.
You must have a fast connection to view it.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 05:08:42 pm »

Last night they busted Jeff Gordon - after the duel race, for running an inch too low on his ride height. However, the squeeky-clean Rainbow Warrior was only cited for an "equipment failure" - and not out-and-out cheating.
It's a bitch when all four shocks give out at exactly the same time isn't it. And even with that 'all four corners' suspension failure, you still manage to win the race. Who'da thunk it....?

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 05:10:10 pm »

And he keeps the win.  Typical NASCAR garbage.  They make the FIA look like geniuses.

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 03:21:46 am »

Let's face it guys, "bending the rules" is as old as the sport itself.  Speaking of bending, anyone remember the 1970 British GP when, after the race, Colin Chapman instructed his mechanics, led by Jochen's lead wrench Herbie Blash (now one of the top brass in the FIA), to sit on the rear wing, and push their knees against the wing mounts during the post race lap of honor, so that the rear wing supports would be bent down, Chunky knowing damn well the rear wing was mounted too high.
The most famous may have been Gordon Murray's "ride height adjustment" on the Brabham's from 1981, soon copied by every othet team.  I do agree with Chop though, in NASCAR, the favored few get preferential treatment.  "Golden Boy" Chicken Lips being the best example.
Fax
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 03:33:38 am by Fax MKII » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: