Club Arnage
July 07, 2024, 04:12:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Gear?  (Read 13759 times)
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 04:05:43 pm »

I put me hands up here and now.

I have started watching TG again after the last round of debate on the subject. It has to beat 5th gear any day (Specially since Lovejoy is a tit)
(More confessions I used to watch that football thing he did/does/?? until the sight of him made me puke)

I wish they had shown the train through a reasonably priced people carrier bit but I can understand why they deferred it for a while, I just hope they remember to show it some day. There IS a real safety aspect about the topic.

I watched it last night and couldn't help being envious of James May, 230mph in the Veyron, ludicrous but oh boy! Me next please TG.

I wonder how fast I could get the Midge up to on that track? Wow outasight, over the curvature of the Earth.
But not 230  Angry

The Hugh Grant movie clip?

Anyone who saw it remember what was in it?

Smiley

So I have returned to the TG fold... and it is ALL down to CA!

bill

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

To add speed, just add lightness.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 09:11:38 am »

I find it primarily an entertainment show now. Sometimes the ego massaging gets tedious. If I want technical car content I look else where.

The Veyron feature was good.

Are TG the first people to prove the top speed is achievable? (other than Bugatti of course).

Le Mans is for the week......not just 24hrs!

When life throws you lemons, bring out the tequila!!

Vodka! Cheaper than Botox and paralyses more muscles!
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 11:57:09 am »

I am very pleased to see TG back on our screens.  It is just about having fun with cars in front of the cameras really.  Quite frankly that seems perfectly reasonable to me.  It does also serve another purpose in the Oldtimer household...

The format of the show is entertaining enough for non-petrolheads (in particular Mrs Oldtimer) to take an interest... She is beginning to see the appeal of, and indeed the artistic/sculptural values, in exotic cars.  Why does this help?  Well it makes the explanation of why me and my son want to go and stand in a hot and dusty part of France every June to watch cars a little easier for her to understand.  Anything that helps to smoothen that particular negotiation about usage of limited holiday allowances has to be a good thing!

Welcome back to the TG team
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 10:03:56 pm »

Well just to add my five eggs worth imo top-gear sucks! its just not like it used to be.........I think they are running out of ideas Sad

been there done that doing it again !
Big_M

I am a gay man trapped in a women's body

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 10:12:45 pm »

But was I watching Top Gear or an episode of  Richard & Judy ?

Deffo Richard and Rudey - although James May is OK in my book.

As entertainment goes - it is fair - as an informative piece of motoring journalism - errr not!

oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 09:50:46 am »

its just not like it used to be....

That's why we like it!

Big_M, I hope you haven't been struggling under the illusion that TG is supposed to be an informative piece of motoring journalism for too long.  I would have thought that even the most casual observer would be able to determine within a few seconds that this is not the case.  It is an entertainment show through and through!
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 10:43:13 am »

Surely TG is a motoring based entertainment programme that deviates away from its core subject at times. If it is taken in this context then I think it is  excellent viewing for a Sunday night.

Not a million miles away is a Le Mans 24 hour motor race forum that quite often deviates away from its core subject. Non of us seem to mind that and where would any of us be without it.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 05:23:44 pm »

I must admit, I missed the Hugh Grant bit.

I saw he was on next and thought

"I must go and stand in the garage and look at the pile of tosh I need to sort out" whilst scratching my ar5e.

When it was safe to look at the tv again, I went back and sat in the lounge.

But the Hugh Grant bit was mainly about cars, and I thought it was quite good.  Admitedly they had to promote his new film however that will attract women won't it, and women are important to Top Gear.  Hence the need to have a mixed party to get tickets to the show 
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 12:31:27 pm »

I don't watch it Andy.  That's my point.  And I haven't since they turned it into Clarkson's version  of the Parkinson show.  Hence, I do miss - no doubt - gems like the Bugatti. A pity, but I'll live.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 12:38:50 pm »

I watched the rerun last night, and thought it was okay. The Bugatti run (obviously taped before Hammond's crash) was a nice piece of filming, the golf-arguement wasn't as funny as it was probably supposed to.

Probably better episodes to look forward to, most probably Undecided

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 01:16:24 pm »

I don't watch it Andy.  That's my point.  And I haven't since they turned it into Clarkson's version  of the Parkinson show.  Hence, I do miss - no doubt - gems like the Bugatti. A pity, but I'll live.

That's like me saying I'm not going to Le Mans any more because it's not like it used to be. Noses and faces?

Now where was it I read, or did someone read it for me, that a Clarkson version of the Parkinson show has got to be better than a Parkinson version of same.

Female logic I will never understand.  Huh
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:19:54 pm by Andy Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 04:22:47 pm »

That's like me saying I'm not going to Le Mans any more because it's not like it used to be. Noses and faces?

Now where was it I read, or did someone read it for me, that a Clarkson version of the Parkinson show has got to be better than a Parkinson version of same.

Female logic I will never understand.  Huh
Nothing feminine or logical about it.  Just an irrational hatred of anything JC on the part of both Mr & Mrs Termite.  Bloke just winds us up a treat.  In the interests of the future of our TV screen...

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 03:10:14 pm »

But he's so urbane, witty, intelligent and a dilettante to boot. (I'm assuming they do have dilettantes in France?)

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 03:38:47 pm »

I really enjoyed this weeks "episode" buying cars for under $1000 in Miami and driving them upto New Orleans. I thought the redneck reaction to Hamonds "Manlove rules" and Mays "Hilary for President" graffeti on the side of ther cars was particuarly amusing (being run out town). But then the more serious shock of the continued state of devistation of the New Orleans suberbs bought them back to a humbling sense of reality, shame non of the residents were desperate enough to take Mays Caddy for nothing, Cock.  Grin 
(No not a traditional motoring program format, but good entertainment and not dissimilar mentality to Le Mans really)
nickliv
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 04:44:25 pm »

I thought they'd had it in that petrol station.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: