Club Arnage
October 07, 2024, 12:44:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Farewell N138  (Read 4996 times)
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2007, 09:57:59 am »

In a fit of typical French beureaucracy, the N138 is soon to be no more Angry.  The Sarthe Department has taken over maintenance of many "National" routes in 72 and they are therefore to be re-designated as D  roads (the letters at the front denoting whom is responsible for their upkeep).  The process is currently underway and by the summer, the N138 south of Alencon will become the D338; the N23 will become the D323; the N438 the D338 bis, amongst others. So beware when you are travelling down.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 10:10:23 am »

How sad - another little link with the past bites the dust, bowling down the N138, windows open, waving back at the locals, following in the footsteps of Jaguar, Aston Martin and the likes....I supose there is another D138 somewhere that stopped them just doing the obvious and changing the letter at the front of it.  But at least the road will still be there, even if the number is changing.   

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 02:45:00 pm »

In a fit of typical French beureaucracy, the N138 is soon to be no more Angry.  The Sarthe Department has taken over maintenance of many "National" routes in 72 and they are therefore to be re-designated as D  roads (the letters at the front denoting whom is responsible for their upkeep).  The process is currently underway and by the summer, the N138 south of Alencon will become the D338; the N23 will become the D323; the N438 the D338 bis, amongst others. So beware when you are travelling down.

Mmmmm bl**dy typical. I've only just bought a new French road atlas as well (just to keep an eye on where the sat nav takes us). Termie - is there anywhere on the web where the corresponding Department numbers can be found? I mainly use the N157 as we travel in from the East of LM.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 02:57:08 pm »

Mmmmm bl**dy typical. I've only just bought a new French road atlas as well (just to keep an eye on where the sat nav takes us). Termie - is there anywhere on the web where the corresponding Department numbers can be found? I mainly use the N157 as we travel in from the East of LM.
There's pretty much a pattern, so I'd expect that to turn into the D357 but I'll see what I can find.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 03:15:23 pm »

If I might quote old Bill, surely this is a case of 'A rose by any other name........' Grin
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 04:17:19 pm »

If I might quote old Bill, surely this is a case of 'A rose by any other name........' Grin
Exactly, as Mark says the road's the same.
Parts of the N138 were re-numbered last year. Others parts are to be re-numbered this year. Michelin used to put a warning on their atlas saying "don't rely on road numbers" when there was a lot of re-numbering going on throughout France, but my current atlas doesn't seem to have one.
In France roads are classified and numbered according to whether their upkeep is national, departmental or communal. I doubt that the names of the towns on the road signs will change, so map reading shouldn't be too difficult. The Rouen - Abbeville road near where I live used to be the A28, but it's been the D928 for years now.
The old 138 is a road I used to use a lot, and had stretches which had very high accident rates. I'm very happy that the new motorway has taken a lot of traffic away from the old road and made it safer.
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 04:52:41 pm »

too bad for the t-shirt guy too Undecided

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 05:03:01 pm »

I get the logic Christopher - I mean, what else are they going to spend our taxes on? - but the N138's a bit of history.  Pity.

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 05:37:26 pm »

A sad loss, but its only a name really, we shall continue to call it the N138.

Road numbers do not seem to be on any French road signs (until you hit the motorways), which is my excuse for getting lost, but there were a long string of milestones with N138 on them.  Please, no vandalism, don't even think of taking one home in June, let the council throw them away.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 05:47:37 pm »

It will always be the N138 to me, even if I rarely use it these days. I'm sorry to say the Commer prefers the Payeage, it's flatter and allows easier cruising and far fewer gear changes. Used it coming back from the Classic though and gave the Scooby a right old pasting up to Sees, just for old time's sake you understand.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 05:59:32 pm »

but there were a long string of milestones with N138 on them.  Please, no vandalism, don't even think of taking one home in June, let the council throw them away.

There used to be one 5km South of Beaumont la Sarthe. I will have to post a picture of it my garden Grin

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 06:25:06 pm »

Right.  That's it.  I'm going to write a strongly worded letter to Peter Mandleson.  Angry

Steve East Anglian cobras

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 09:19:32 am »

Right.  That's it.  I'm going to write a strongly worded letter to Peter Mandleson.  Angry

Whether it achieves anything or not, the stream of invective spilling from your keyboard or pen will surely make you feel much, much better.....

Last couple of years, I've tended to use the new motorway for getting there but gone back up the N138 for old times sake as far as Alencon before picking up the motorway for the run up to Rouen and Calais.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 01:54:55 am »

Do you use the road or not? do you know your way down or up this road or not? Is the same bars or cafes on the road or not?
Is it still the N138 to the brits or not?
then not to these firkin sat navs which will look for the N138 which aint numbered any more but will sure get you lost ......or not
pass you all soon on the N138 like i always do no matter what you drive..

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: