Club Arnage
October 06, 2024, 12:32:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm going to give F1 another try  (Read 15454 times)
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2007, 05:43:37 pm »

Morning Guys,
Nice to get back on a racing thread after last night's debacle.
Fax
Very true, but it does serve you right for bringing the subject of 22 over-paid prima donnas chasing the wrong shaped ball round a field for 90 minutes up in the first place! (Retiring to air-raid shelter right now!)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 05:45:19 pm by termietermite » Logged

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2007, 05:50:14 pm »

Absolutely Deb, I've got nobody to blame but myself.
I wish I'd never posted that. Now I'm sucked into it like a great black hole.
Fax
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2007, 05:59:29 pm »

We are most grateful, Fax.  We're just sitting on the terraces watching a Fax and a Rhino slugging it out, and pitching in with the odd helpful (?) comment! Wink

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2007, 06:03:13 pm »

Nothing much on telly this afternoon anyway, will be good when the F1 re-starts!

F
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2007, 09:39:38 am »

Fax,

You're lucky to have your commentators, including Steve Matchett (the ex-Benetton mechanic who has written a few good books on the subject of F1) whilst we put up with James Allen.  At least Brundle offsets the irritating git to an extent   

Good luck with returning to watching the fray of F1.  It's my opportunity on the race days to watch it whilst doing the ironing (which get major brownie points with the missus and gives me exclusive rights to the telly for a couple of hours).  If it's a boring race, the ironing is done very well and if its exciting then the quality of ironed finish is cr*p.           

For me, Le Mans had always been as much about the getting there, meeting up with old friends, relaxing away from home, as it is about the racing.  On the years where more is happening in the race, more attention is paid to it, and when less, then more is paid to the enjoyment of other things.....

Catch fencing - yes there's stacks of it at Le Mans in all the official places to spectate, which started growing from the mid-90's onwards, as much to keep crowds from invading the track at the end of race before all the cars had finished, as a safety thing, although of course Le Mans always has the spectre of '55 hanging over.  What amazes me with the the circuits in the States, a somewhat more litigious arena than over here, you have so little of it, you lucky sods.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2007, 06:00:05 pm »

So, as a New Years resolution, I'm going to start watching F1 again at the beginning of the new season and give it a shot, especially now that whats-his-face is gone.  I may go on a four lettered rant after two races

Fax,

Having been an out-and-out F1 bore in the past (70s and 80s) I feel deeply sceptical about the current state of the 'sport' BUT I always give it a try at the start of each season...

Look forward to reading the rant.  I know you and I don't always see eye to eye, but I suspect we will on this.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2007, 06:14:26 pm »

Oldtimer, I'm in the same boat, it was the be all & end all for me in the seventies & eighties.  I may be beating a dead horse trying to follow it again, but as I'm determined to at least give it a try.  Stay tuned for the meltdown the first time I see a bunch of celebrity posers prancing around on the grid.
Fax
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2007, 06:41:04 pm »

Stay tuned for the meltdown the first time I see a bunch of celebrity posers prancing around on the grid.

Will be surprised if we have to wait as long as the second race for that...  Grin
bird
CA Veteran

neeeeeeeow!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2007, 03:39:06 pm »

Good to see you oldies coming back to the fold  Tongue

With the sad departure of the Best Driver Ever (put the guns down please) I shall hereby be yelling for Davidson. And Ferrari of course. Although I still can't 100% say I like Kimi, but when he's clocked up a few wins I might change my mind.

Check out the testing report from Jerez yesterday:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38287

Grin

A ferrari can't run on glue
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

Guided by a force greater than curry.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2007, 04:00:19 pm »

Kimi Raikonnen (is that how you spell it), IMHO is responsible for one of the two greatest quotes on live TV.

At Schumachers final grand prix in Brazil, Pele was honouring the man by awarding him some bit of junk and all the other drivers were at the presentation at the front of the grid, except Kimi.

When Martin Brundle caught up with Kimi and asked him why he wasn't at the presentation.

Kimi's answer " I was having a sh*t"  Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpeMXVyhtEY

Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2007, 04:20:28 pm »

Kimi Raikonnen (is that how you spell it), IMHO is responsible for one of the two greatest quotes on live TV.

What's the other great quote?

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

Guided by a force greater than curry.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2007, 04:46:29 pm »

Have you ever seen the interview with Slash from Guns N Roses on live squeeky clean Saturday morning show CD:UK.

Unfortunately no clip exists so I'm told but I saw it live and it was hilarious.

The report in the NME can be found here.

http://www.nme.com/news/slash/5535

It wasn't the swearing that was funny but the look on Cat Deeleys face when he started to recall his sexual exploits live to the nation.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2007, 06:40:19 pm »

Bird, with all due respect, the departure of Schumacher is one of the reasons I'm giving it another try.  I won't miss that swerving at other drivers, or jumping around on the podium like a baboon for one second.
Fax
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2007, 01:52:27 pm »

jumping around on the podium like a baboon for one second.
Fax

At least the baboon jumping suggested there was some joy involved in winning... a wave and a half-smile is about all the others seem to give us.
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2007, 03:20:28 pm »

jumping around on the podium like a baboon for one second.
Fax

At least the baboon jumping suggested there was some joy involved in winning... a wave and a half-smile is about all the others seem to give us.

Actually I think I might be with Fax on this one, his jumping around on the podium always put me in mind of a domineering baboon too.

In fact if I had to vote on a single instance of 'genuine joy' at winning a grand prix in recent history, then I think my vote would go to J Button after his only win....so far.

The eyes have it!!
  Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: