Club Arnage
October 06, 2024, 12:30:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm going to give F1 another try  (Read 15444 times)
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 11:00:46 am »

Martini has a point. There, I said it. When I'm in Le Mans or Sebring or whatever endurance race, I just don't have the information about what's going on in the race. It's pretty hard to determine what battles are going on.

That information, in my view, is essential to enjoy the race to the fullest. Last year, on Sebring, I saw somebody with a Gameboy and an iCard (www.icardus.com) which does tell you clearly what's going on, because you get the same data as the teams. They are expanding to Europe as well, doing among others Le Mans and the full LMS series. I'm getting one! It can also be plugged into your laptop.

As for F1: I'm giving it another shot as well. Lots of Dutchies nowadays, hell, we even have a Dutch team in there! I won't go see a race live, but as said, last year's F1 wasn't that bad at times. At least I knew what was going on.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 11:02:38 am by Pieter » Logged
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 11:10:11 am »

The live timing monitors in the ACO areas do help a lot, plus the ability to understand "Bruno the Mouth", I'll admit.  And watching on TV helps - I would never go to a live F1 race again - not least because of the moronic ignorant crowd.  I've re-watched last year's LM a couple of times now (sad or what?) as I recorded it - you learn a lot more when you are getting up to date info'.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 11:12:37 am by termietermite » Logged

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 12:05:07 pm »

Morning everyone... what a lovely day... the sun is shining  Grin

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 12:29:04 pm »

'Morning Martini. You're right, it's a beautiful day. I'm going to give the outside world another try.
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 03:22:58 pm »

so you totally ignore what I thought was a controversial post??? SEE BELOW if you care not going to even sign off....may not even sign on............ again...................adeu

Goodbye
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 03:32:51 pm »

Fax good luck with your New Years resolution. I like many on this site I suspect, will often turn on the F1 on a quiet Sunday afternoon and peep at it over the newspaper and a can of Beer. But I do have to say that by about lap fifteen I am usually soundly asleep. I find the entire thing wonderfully soporific. I often wake as they are spraying the bubbly.

As for Martini’s comment  earlier about Le Mans being boring, I am sorry for him. This year (God willing) I make my 21st trip to the Worlds greatest motor race. I have never ever had a moment of boredom ever - that is why I keep going back.

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 03:53:13 pm »

Yes, monkey, I cannot recall having been bored for a moment.  I simply resent the fact that by about 4 o'clock in the morning I just can't stop myself taking a couple of hours' kip, I am so anxious that I should miss nothing.  F1, 15 minutes and zzzzzzzzzzzz

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 04:50:56 pm »

Fax good luck with your New Years resolution. I like many on this site I suspect, will often turn on the F1 on a quiet Sunday afternoon and peep at it over the newspaper and a can of Beer. But I do have to say that by about lap fifteen I am usually soundly asleep. I find the entire thing wonderfully soporific. I often wake as they are spraying the bubbly.

As for Martini’s comment  earlier about Le Mans being boring, I am sorry for him. This year (God willing) I make my 21st trip to the Worlds greatest motor race. I have never ever had a moment of boredom ever - that is why I keep going back.

Boredom was not mentioned, and I do not need to be pitied. It is, as you say, (probably) the Worlds greatest motor race, and I have been going, albeit with a missed few years in the middle since '85.

But, I do not believe the racing is as good as it was and it is all to easy to take time away from the track. Also while the new buildings are very nice there is a certain amount of character missing, I think it has lost the almost 'family' feel, not that there are too many full families that go other than the French.

Monkey I made the comment after going to Sebring last year and realising again what motorsport can be like instead of feeling like a caged animal behind the fences. Although in saying that there needs to be a certain consideration toward safety, which on the other side of the pond there does not seem to be. Sebring is the only one I have been to although if you look at the pictures from Road Atlanta this seems to be very much the same.

If you do make it to this years event, and I hope you can, I will be on HA and gladly share a bit of your 21st anniversary cake and a beer.

Cheers

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 05:02:14 pm »

It has always seemed bizarre to me that in a country which is perceived by Brits to be so litigation mad, there seems to be less catch fencing at US circuits like Sebring.  Why is this?  I can understand modern circuits in Europe going over the top on safety as there is a huge fear, it seems to me, of getting sued out of existance if they don't.  Fax - any ideas?  ECA

Martini - that's a spurious argument - catch fencing doesn't make the racing more or less interesting, how can it?  It does make taking pics bl**din' difficult but can't for a moment effect what goes on on track! (You asked for it! Grin)

Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 05:06:58 pm »

I havent been to Sebring in the flesh, but from watching a lil film on youtube from a race there, it does seem a terrifically wide track, maybe that makes a difference to the need for catch fencing?

It certainly looked a lot wider than LM, tho I suppose that could have been an optical illusion!

F
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 05:08:42 pm »

I'll be able to tell for myself soon! Grin (Sorry, Fran, don't mean to make you jealous.)

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2007, 05:12:04 pm »

I must confess to having a few moments at Le Mans thinking I won't make the effort next year the race has failed to live up to expectations, or i am soaking wet, roasting hot or just plain pissed off about something

It always passes and come the Sunday evening I am thinking about the next year.

I do think the Audi steam roller has taken some of the tenseness out of the race, the cars are just to damm good. Whereas before, whoever was the favorite, aways seemed to have an achilles heal.

Monkey, when you bring your cake over to martini, I should be camped next to him and we can discuss the last 20 years.

Hopefully I should be attending my 28th this year so it does seem to have a hold on me like so many others here. Wink

Re the catch fencing, I think of all the tracks in the world, Le Mans has the most reason to be slighty over cautious. The real question is if the fencing would make any differance in the evnt of a crash.

It may catch the debris, but I doubt it would make alot of a differance in the event of a big one.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2007, 05:21:00 pm »

I'll be able to tell for myself soon! Grin (Sorry, Fran, don't mean to make you jealous.)

Enjoy!!!   Angry

Mind you, it was the Saleen clip that I was watching from Sebring..!!!

F
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2007, 05:24:59 pm »

Morning Guys,
Nice to get back on a racing thread after last night's debacle.
Regarding the debris fencing, this is something that's come up before and everyone seems to have pretty strong opinions on the issue.  As far as why there seems to be less of it at US venues?  Its mostly a case of putting it where its really needed, and leaving well enough alone where its not.  You don't need to be a rocket scientist to look at a particular corner, or spectator location and figure out whether or not there needs to be fencing.  At Le Mans it seems to me that some of it has been erected simply for the sake of being seen to have done something to improve safety, whether its actually needed or not.  On the back of every ticket sold at a motor racing event in the United States there is a disclaimer in big bold letters saying MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS, spectate at your own risk.  If one goes to a superspeedway you can purchase seats literally a few feet from packs of cars hurling past at 200mph Its your choice to sit there or not.  Some people do, some won't.
Fax
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 05:30:19 pm by Fax MKII » Logged
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2007, 05:25:18 pm »

Being a GT gal myself, that's the action I watch and GT2 especially has provided great battles as long as I've been going.  Endurance racing is as much about who finishes too so watching the changing fortunes of the smaller teams over the years (the Moggie, the Spykers - can I call them small these days? - that Lambo... there are loads), biting your nails wondering if they'll get to the end; will Huge Chamberpot fix the car in time to get to the race, let alone the finish?  There's so much going on all the time, I rarely find the race in the least bit tedious.
When I went to the circuit earlier in the week, I felt the whole buzz the moment I drove up behind the stands.  When that feeling goes away, I'll know I've died!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: