Club Arnage
October 06, 2024, 12:31:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm going to give F1 another try  (Read 15449 times)
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2007, 05:35:17 am »

Just for shits & giggles, after listening to my father bleat on about the state of professional sports, I realized my stance on motor racing probably sounds similarly outdated & stale.
So, as a New Years resolution, I'm going to start watching F1 again at the beginning of the new season and give it a shot, especially now that whats-his-face is gone.  I may go on a four lettered rant after two races, but I'm still going to TRY to be nice and get along with it.  I am a motor racing fan at heart.  But Tony George and his pile of crap IRL can still go F*ck Off!
Fax
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 10:13:10 am »

Well done, Just see it for what it is and try not to compare it to the 50' 60's 70's or 80's.

I must confess i did watch most of the races in the later part of last season and it was not all bad. There was in fact a fair bit of overtaking and action, if only they where not glued to the road so much it would be a whole lot better.

I think sometimes we do look back on the quality of the races in the past thru rose tinted glasses, some where complete and utter bores and the drivers where not all gods.

I look forward to reading you impression after the first race, or when you have sobered up, whichever comes first!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:44:30 am »

I am a closet F1 watcher, but there are definately summer Sundays when I think afterwards that I have just wasted 90 minutes which I could have spent out in the sunshine.  Losing Shuey and having the current champ move to what was last year a no hope team will undoubtedly make the first couple of races accademically interesting at least.
Fax, I'm so glad you've made this decision.  I anticipate your 4 letter rants with more enjoyment than I do the F1 season! Grin

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 01:33:53 pm »

I've watched F1 since about 1990, though Champ Car was my favorite.  As American open wheel racing has shriveled thanks to the idiot grandson, my interest in F1 has increased.  I can count on a full field on a quality road course (compared to the streets of Houston, not the Nordschleife), and the different approaches to technology interest me.  I can see why some dislike it, it's just more abundant and easier to follow in the press than sports cars, etc.

The ALMS has really picked it up over the last 2-3 years, but they're not on TV every 2 weeks.

Best of luck, Fax.  Grin

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 02:53:48 pm »

Well Fax it is good of you to be honest, though if I think if any of us are going to be really honest, dare I say it.... here it comes... it is coming...

Le Mans racing isn't exactly exciting either

Ok I said it and will stand by it, there is the spine tingling, hair on the neck standing up feeling at the start and generally a great release at the end but in between there is not really a lot happening, pit stops create interest, the odd spin and the spectacle of the night racing is good. This all makes for a good reason to sit around the tent eat and get pissed... I think I love Le Mans now... Oh I forgot, it is also a reason to get away from the missus for a week  Grin

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 05:32:00 pm »

Thanks guys, Nordic very well done, you can sniff out someone who's had a few brews a thousand miles away Grin
But I meant what I said, I am a motor racing fan at heart, and I ate, slept, and breathed F1 for twenty some years before getting burned out on it.  I think I've avoided it enough to give it another fair crack.  And oh boy! This is really biting the bullit...When I've seen the current cars in person at Indy, they can be quite exciting to watch.  However the last two races at Indy have been utter clunkers (I can't even refer to the 2005 event as a race).  As was very well pointed out, some of the races from the good old days weren't always good.  I re-watched the '82 French GP a few days ago, and apart from Ricardo Patrese's Brabham turning into a rolling bonfire, and the fight between Rosberg and Alboreto for fifth, it was a pretty dull race.  The old long circuit at Ricard was really something though.
Looking forward to a see how Raikkonen gets on at Ferrari, as well as  Alonso-McLaren.
Fax
nickliv
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 06:31:33 pm »

Do you have to contend with the cock commentating?

<this is the cock.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 07:38:48 pm »

No, and by all acounts we're thankful for that.  The US F1 commentating team is actually a very good one, Bob Varsha (who covered F1 for ESPN for many years before joining Speedchannel), David Hobbs, and Steve Matchett, who's probably the best of the bunch.  The only guy among the US crew I don't like is pitlane reporter Peter Windsor.
My dislike of him stems mostly from some articles he's written in various magazines that were clearly some of the most bogus, fabricated BS to ever be put to paper.
Fax
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 07:42:38 pm by Fax MKII » Logged
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 07:44:57 pm »

I have the good fortune to get Jacques Lafitte and Patric Tambay here - what a relief after Mr t*ssp*t.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 07:51:08 pm »

Jacques and Patrick would be a fabulous team to have doing the coverage.  Both great personalities, and bucketloads of experience.  I had hoped at one point Patrick would do US coverage, his English is excellent (he was educated at the University of Colorado) and his wife Dana is American.
Fax
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 08:21:55 pm »

They are so professional, Fax.  When we go back to the English coverage for Mr Termite's benefit, I cannot believe the difference.  How easily one's view of a sport is affected by a commentator.

nickliv
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 11:30:23 pm »

On occasion I watch the ITV footage, listening to Radio 5 (When they have simultaneous coverage of course)

When this is impossible, I just feel for Martin 'high waist' Brundle. I wonder how many times he does the 'slow blink' that is used when you're in the company of a loud mouthed halfwit. With  microphone broadcasting to millions.
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 02:55:54 am »

so you totally ignore what I thought was a controversial post??? SEE BELOW if you care not going to even sign off....may not even sign on............ again...................adeu

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 10:26:12 am »

Oh, don't go, Martin!  Just got diverted by the pic' of t*ssp*t and didn't see yours - oops!

Do you watch the same race that I do?  Do you watch the race any more?  I'm convinced that the people who believe this do not watch anybody but those engaged in the impossible attempt to beat the might of Audi.  Were you watching the fascinating and ever changing battle between Corvette and Aston?  Did you sit opposite their pits and watch the pit-crews engaged in head to head battles at almost every stop?  Were you following the nail-biting finale to the LMP2 battle, wondering if the RML Lola would be repaired in time?  Did you watch the stonking GT2 battle and follow the lead changes throughout the 24 hours and cheer as the little orange Panoz of team LNT beat the big boys and put a Panoz at the top of a class podium for the first time?
Were you there?

How's that?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 10:33:32 am by termietermite » Logged

Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 10:32:29 am »

so you totally ignore what I thought was a controversial post??? SEE BELOW if you care not going to even sign off....may not even sign on............ again...................adeu

LMAO -  Grin

*hands back Martini's dummy*

F
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: