Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 11:47:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Villeneuve to race Le Mans  (Read 7687 times)
Robbo
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

"ANTHEM"

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2007, 04:06:52 pm »

Former World Champion and ousted BMW Sauber racer Jacques Villeneuve will race at Le Mans in June, according to widespread reports on Tuesday.

The news means that French Canadian Villeneuve, 35, will have a shot at becoming the first driver in history to collect motor racing's 'big four' crowns - F1, the Indy 500, CART (now Champ Car) and the famous 24 hour endurance event.

Peugeot will shortly name Villeneuve, who is also linked with full time rides in NASCAR or DTM, alongside Marc Gene and Sebastian Bourdais and up to four others to steer the V12 diesel 908, the French publication L'Equipe said.

Peugeot has already confirmed Nicolas Minassian, Stephane Sarrazin and Pedro Lamy.

Pessimist - Glass half empty
Optimist - Glass half full
Engineer - Glass twice as big as needed
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 04:11:15 pm »

Cool stuff. Together with Irvine he made F1 interesting the last decade Cool

A lot nicer anyway than the robots that drive in F1 nowardays.

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 06:54:44 pm »

The news means that French Canadian Villeneuve, 35, will have a shot at becoming the first driver in history to collect motor racing's 'big four' crowns - F1, the Indy 500, CART (now Champ Car) and the famous 24 hour endurance event.

Somebody give Mario - the man from Nazareth - another ride and let somebody with some real class claim the honours before Jacques does!
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 11:36:05 pm »

Peugeot is clearly throwing a big pile of money JV's way, because he's never showed any interest in doing LM previously, and from what I've read and heard from JV money seems to be his main motivation.
Oldtimer, as much as I'd love to see Mario win LeMans, he was embarrassingly off the pace during his last outings with Panoz.  Personally I would rather see Mario stay in retirement rather than tarnish his reputation with a way off the pace return.
Fax
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 12:38:28 am »

Peugeot is clearly throwing a big pile of money JV's way, because he's never showed any interest in doing LM previously, and from what I've read and heard from JV money seems to be his main motivation.
Oldtimer, as much as I'd love to see Mario win LeMans, he was embarrassingly off the pace during his last outings with Panoz.  Personally I would rather see Mario stay in retirement rather than tarnish his reputation with a way off the pace return.
Fax

Ever the optimist John!!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin 

Unfortunatley it seems more and more these days that it's the car and technology rather than the driver that takes the flag.

Anyway John, we have more important thngs to think about, like a drunkard assualt on the souvenier t-shirt shop in two months time!!  Wink
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 12:43:39 am »

Unfortunatley it seems more and more these days that it's the car and technology rather than the driver that takes the flag.
Tell Jan Lammers that Angry

(referring to Yoong ofcourse)

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 12:54:37 am »

Tell Jan Lammers that Angry

(referring to Yoong ofcourse)

Touche!!

Unfortunatley in Jan's case,  it's the driver bringing the money sometimes as well (i.e. Yoong)

As opposed to A1 GP where it was the driver taking the money!!!!!!!!  Wink
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 02:59:58 am »

Sorry if I sounded negative about it, its something I've been trying not to do.  But the idea of JV racing at LM doesn't make me all warm & fuzzy.  Like I said, he's never expressed any interest in racing there before and I suspect this is just all about money, unless I hear or read something to make me believe otherwise.
And Mario's simply too damn old to be competitve.
Good to hear from you again Mark!
Fax
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 09:39:04 am »

Sorry if I sounded negative about it, its something I've been trying not to do.  But the idea of JV racing at LM doesn't make me all warm & fuzzy.  Like I said, he's never expressed any interest in racing there before and I suspect this is just all about money, unless I hear or read something to make me believe otherwise.
Good to hear from you again Mark!
Fax

Let's give JV a chance. Remember Eddie Irvine who admitted in his book that in the beginning he came to Le Mans just for the money and was actually hoping that the car would break down soon ... and he wrote that he came away in love with Le Mans and I still remember his incredible ride in 1994

Personally I would love to see JV in Le Mans, although his late F1 performances were questionable I think he still is a racer

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 09:48:41 am »

Fax
Yup - with you there Fax.  Retired drivers should generally stay that way - especially as the years advance!  It comes to even the average every day driver, you begin to realise that your reactions and physical condition are not improving with age!  Better to have good memories of great drivers than watch their rather sad attempts to rekindle the spirit of the past.
Villeneuve is a good move for Peugeot - although I'm not a particular fan myself.  It will be very interesting to see the spectator numbers for LM '07 - they were at a record high last year, the most noticable increase being in the home crowd who were hoping to see old Pesca push Audi off the perch. But personally, I reckon that sadly Pug are going to need a miracle, not just an ex F1 driver. Time will tell...

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 09:53:44 am »

Fax

I know, I know - just wanted to stimulate some lively debate to be honest.

To me Mario epitomises the great all-round racer and is somebody for whom I have a huge amount of respect and fondness - unlike JV...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 09:55:23 am by oldtimer » Logged
Robbo
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

"ANTHEM"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 10:42:20 am »

Fax

I know, I know - just wanted to stimulate some lively debate to be honest.

To me Mario epitomises the great all-round racer and is somebody for whom I have a huge amount of respect and fondness - unlike JV...

Adding to lively debate.... Being only (!) 35 years old, my memories of dear old Mario are a couple of seasons of Indy Car with Newman Haas before our dear old Nigel went over and showed him a clean pair of heels!!!

Can't help feeling that the Andretti mafia are not as fast as they think they are, but then I guess your surname gets you a long way in motorsport!!

Pessimist - Glass half empty
Optimist - Glass half full
Engineer - Glass twice as big as needed
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 10:45:11 am »

Fax
Yup - with you there Fax.  Retired drivers should generally stay that way - especially as the years advance!  It comes to even the average every day driver, you begin to realise that your reactions and physical condition are not improving with age!  Better to have good memories of great drivers than watch their rather sad attempts to rekindle the spirit of the past.
Villeneuve is a good move for Peugeot - although I'm not a particular fan myself.  It will be very interesting to see the spectator numbers for LM '07 - they were at a record high last year, the most noticable increase being in the home crowd who were hoping to see old Pesca push Audi off the perch. But personally, I reckon that sadly Pug are going to need a miracle, not just an ex F1 driver. Time will tell...

It will indeed be interesting. 2007 has no international Football competition to compete with and in my experience that usually seems to result in a larger than usual visiting contingent too. As for JV, I reckon he will drive into the back of someone after about 45 minutes and be back home before the race even finishes.. Grin
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 11:07:12 am »

Fax - Just to put the record straight. JV is on record as saying that he wanted to race at Le Mans once he'd retired from F1.
In 2005 he told Autosport:
"The reason for me to do Le Mans is that nobody has won all four. Three have been won, but never four. If you stop racing for a few years, then you are not on it anymore. You can still be quick, but not absolutely on it. So I'd want to do Le Mans straightaway after F1, get it over with and then I can get away from racing completely."

I'm making no predictions about Peugeot in the 24 hours this year, but Bourdais/Villeneuve/Gene doesn't seem too bad a driver line-up.
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 11:22:08 am »

my memories of dear old Mario are a couple of seasons of Indy Car with Newman Haas before our dear old Nigel went over and showed him a clean pair of heels!!!

Can't help feeling that the Andretti mafia are not as fast as they think they are
[/quote]

Unfortunately your memories of Mario are of a period when already he was past his best.  Dig out some of the history books and see his achievements - for example a pretty eye catching GP debut.

Think you are right though about the surname... I am not convinced that latter day racing Andretti's really stood up to the old man's reputation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: