Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 01:22:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IRL and CART  (Read 4111 times)
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2006, 06:58:49 pm »

I'm probably going to the IRL at Homestead after Sebring. Roll Eyes

<split from 'You Tube Finds' - Steve>
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 12:18:50 pm by Steve Brown » Logged
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 08:55:00 pm »

Chris you'll be easy to spot on TV, since there's usually about three hundred people who attend the race.
I remember when they used to start the season at the "Disneyworld Motor Speedway" if you bought a ticket to the Tragic Kingdom that weekend you had free admission to the race, and they still couldn't get people to show up. Roll Eyes
Sorry Chris, but I'm with Chop when it comes to the IRL, probably the biggest waste of time on the motor racing planet.  But look on the bright side, you'll be one of the first to see what kind of new helicopter Ashley bought for Dario this year.
Fax
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 08:56:39 pm by Fax MKII » Logged
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 09:42:47 pm »

If there's one series that makes me depressed it's this.  What have they done? Sad

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 05:02:16 pm »

In a nutshell? Killed Indy car racing.
Fax
wadespeed1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 12:29:22 am »

Chris24,

Don't let the Ohio crowd discourage you. No race series is perfect and sponsorship money is hard to find with the 800 pound ( or should I say 300+ stone) gorilla called NASCAR, but I've really enjoyed the IRL races I've attended. It's a race, with 200 MPH cars, in near tropical climates. What's not to like.

Wait... I thought this thread was about You Tube?
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 02:04:00 am »

Chris24,

Don't let the Ohio crowd discourage you. No race series is perfect and sponsorship money is hard to find with the 800 pound ( or should I say 300+ stone) gorilla called NASCAR, but I've really enjoyed the IRL races I've attended. It's a race, with 200 MPH cars, in near tropical climates. What's not to like.

Wait... I thought this thread was about You Tube?

The idiot grandson attempted to fix what wasn't broken when he invented the hapless irl under false pretenses.  CART featured a fantastic array of racetracks, 25 car fields and  huge corporate sponsorship.  His coke-addled greed and lust for power destroyed American open-wheel racing - nothing else.

I'll never support the inferior league as long as he and his troupe of paid liars continue to draw breath.  Good luck getting a field of 33 without opening that wallet WIDE next spring, Tony.

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 02:23:30 am »

I went to Texas the other year and enjoyed the show. Personally I prefer the IRL to CART these days but that may have something to do with the fact i like close oval racing rather than road courses or street circuits. And since CART doesn't do ovals anymore,  Huh,then its the IRL for me !
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 10:43:36 am »

I guess it's the ethics of these series (IRL, CART and NASCAR too) which grate.  However, there is no doubt that oval racing in whatever form is still spectacular to watch, no matter how hard the money tries to ruin it.  The Indy/Cart split has desimated the fields and the "cult" status of Nascar drivers is a bore but I still have tremendous respect for all the guys (and gals) who participate.  It is surely one of the hairiest forms of motor racing known to man. I still have a sort of sneaking desire to see it in the flesh one day myself in spite of all my reservations.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 04:44:55 pm »

Couldn't agree more Chop.  As long as the "Coke-head Idiot and his boozing, brawling Mom" is running the show, it'll never have any credibility.
His Grandfather has to be puking in his grave.
I've seen several Indy 500's and two Kentucky Speedway races run by the IRL (free tickets on every occasion) boring as hell, and they're a pathetic shadow of what the CART turbo cars were like on a speedway.  Sure the racing is close, when you've got a bunch of spec cars clattering around on a rev limiter its pretty hard to get away from each other.  And the way they promote it is nothing short of nauseating, reminds me of the ads for skatepark shows for mallrats.  As you said Chop, The Boob will have to bankroll two-thirds of the 500 grid again this year, especially since Honda is pulling their driver money over to the Acura ALMS program.
Fax
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 05:39:02 pm »

Ah, Fax, you should have seen the pathetic attempt called "Days of Thunder" racing at Rockingham here.  (Can't find a yawn smiley).

wadespeed1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 12:23:27 am »

"Coke-head Idiot and his boozing, brawling Mom"?

Hell, that sounds like 90% of the native North Carolinians I know. Wanna bet that your description of the Huelman family sounds familiar to a large percentage of the local S***** crowd as well.

I guess that explains why I enjoy going to Indy.

BTW- didn't Tony G's grandpa shoot a man to death over a woman?
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 03:15:05 am »

Hi Wade, Hmm, never heard that about Tony Hulman, as far as I know he was a pretty well respected businessman.  But anything that went on with the Hulman family wouldn't suprise me given the behavior of his daughter and grandson.  I've met Tony George, and know several people who dealt with him, to a man they'll tell you that if Grandpa hadn't left him one of the worlds most famous racing facilities, he'd be working in a Burger King drive-thru asking "Would you like to super-size that?"  What he did to the sport is unforgivable, it was all out of pure ego.  Because he wasn't getting the attention he wanted he decided to pick up his ball and go home, hopelessly screwing up a good thing in the process.  Like I've said before, I'll never spend another dime going to any event he has anything to do with.
Fax
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 03:22:21 am by Fax MKII » Logged
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:44:53 am »

It was Elmer George, Tony's father, that was killed.  He went to confront the family's horse trainer who had been giving Tony's mother "riding lessons" in his spare time.  An argument and shootout ensued, and Tony's dad proved to be a poor shot.  Oops.  Grin

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: