Club Arnage
July 05, 2024, 09:15:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In The Lap Of The Gods  (Read 11275 times)
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2006, 05:22:50 pm »

The new DVD just arrived today - Thank you Amazon!
I know what I'm doing tonight - folding chair in the lounge, few cans of beer, appropriate CA t shirt.
I'll let you know tomorrow!

Steve

I tested negative for patience.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 05:34:04 pm »

Steve, you really do need to log on here more often  Wink

http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=6086.0

Steve East Anglian cobras

Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 06:00:59 pm »

Oh, fair point.......

I tested negative for patience.
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 07:01:22 pm »

Steve, you really do need to log on here more often  Wink

http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=6086.0

LOOK, what's going on 'ere, first we get bollocked for writing what we think when Johnny Newbie turns up trying to flog some overpriced film to us, then a regular comes back on the scene and gets shot down for putting his nose over the parapet.  It just seems a bit inequitable, that's all Grin
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 11:42:07 pm »

Peter,

I think it's a mixture of semi-benevolent autocracy and the privilege of rank going to the youngster's head old boy - y'know the top brass are never wrong and all that.... Wink

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 12:08:29 am »

Peter,

I think it's a mixture of semi-benevolent autocracy and the privilege of rank going to the youngster's head old boy - y'know the top brass are never wrong and all that.... Wink
MG Mark

Damn right, Mark.  AND Rank hath its Privilege Too.  The higher you rise the bigger the  fall fool.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 12:20:23 am »

Peter,

...  youngster's head ...

MG Mark

I'll take that as a compliment Mark  Grin.

Oh, and I'll put the 4 stripes with the Royal purple back on my sleeve too.  Wink

Following the Titanic sinking, and loss of life of all marine engineers, King George V degreed that British Marine Engineers should, henceforth, show a purple background on their rank insignia.

Ferrari Spider
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 12:30:29 am »

Whats that steve, Cap'n 't 'eads Grin
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 09:30:26 am »

Peter,

...  youngster's head ...

MG Mark

I'll take that as a compliment Mark  Grin.

Oh, and I'll put the 4 stripes with the Royal purple back on my sleeve too.  Wink

Wow  Shocked - I'm so jealous.   Those are really pretty patterns.   We just have to put up with plain old rings......... Grin Grin.   

I am, of course standing rigidly to attention and saluting at this time, in deference to a service whose roots grew from piracy, and in case you start trotting out that standard bollox about senior services and ruling the waves....... Wink.  Just remember to be worried when you hear any of the following:

A Third Officer saying, "I learned this in training..."
A Second Officer saying, "Trust me, Sir..."
A Chief Officer saying, "Based on my experience..."
A Captain saying, "I was just thinking..."
A Chief Engineer chuckling, "Just watch this sh*t..."

Grin Grin

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 10:13:05 am »

Mark, often wondered about the crabs calling rings, stripes?  All seems very odd.  Just a beeeezarre set-up, chief petty officers! What a mouthful, have a row of three buttons on each sleeve, its not decorative you know, oh no, its to stop them wiping their dripping noses on their sleeve, yuuuck, what a service.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 10:28:26 am »

Mark, often wondered about the crabs calling rings, stripes?  All seems very odd.  Just a beeeezarre set-up, chief petty officers! What a mouthful, have a row of three buttons on each sleeve, its not decorative you know, oh no, its to stop them wiping their dripping noses on their sleeve, yuuuck, what a service.

Indeed, thoroughly uncultured really, but probably something to do with small boys and powder monkeys.   Difficult to work it out when simple phrases with common meanings seem to be completely lost on them.  Like when you ask politely where the nearest toilet is and they start laughing and talking about "heads".  The only time I'm interested in a combination of head and toilet is when needing to dispose rapidly of a part-digested curry.  Or you suggest cutting across some grass and get told you're getting your wet.  Or you ask where someone's bedroom is.   Or you ask for the dining room and they start banging on about ward rooms.  I mean, what have wards got to do with food Huh   Probably something to do with tea, bromide and ancient mariners I suppose.

MG Mark

Ferrari Spider
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 10:46:33 am »

I know just what you mean, galley for kitchen, below for downstairs, deck for floor.  Once, a very long time ago, I had the experience; we will call it that, of being billeted in/on a RN shore establishment, I believe they call them ships!!  Anyway, it was knock off time for us, the delights of the local pub beckoned,  we were all in our finest running ashore rig, whooops, Andrew slang creeping in, just to exit the base when some screaming bod comes tearing after us, you can't go out there!  The liberty boat's left, you'll drown!!  I rest my case.  Mad, the lot of them.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 10:50:48 am »

This is all helping to explain why my neither of myparents ever understood what the other was talking about, one being airforce and the other navy.  Funny the things you discover on this site!

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 11:14:21 am »

This is all helping to explain why my neither of myparents ever understood what the other was talking about, one being airforce and the other navy.  Funny the things you discover on this site!

It's all part of the rich and varied history and heritage of the UK.

I'm afraid, having been part of the Merchant Navy, rather than those part time sailors of the RN, I went to sea to do a job.  We had no time for bullshit, spit and polish and 'yes sir, no sir'.

The merchant navy is like any other haulage business, you get a contract to take cargo X from loading port A to discharge port B.  You do it in the required timescale, the company gets paid, you go to port C for cargo Y - and so on.

Various parts of my floating home were called proper names and attitudes were left at home.

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 11:26:44 am »

It's all part of the rich and varied history and heritage of the UK.

I'm afraid, having been part of the Merchant Navy, rather than those part time sailors of the RN, I went to sea to do a job.  We had no time for bullsh**t, spit and polish and 'yes sir, no sir'.

The merchant navy is like any other haulage business, you get a contract to take cargo X from loading port A to discharge port B.  You do it in the required timescale, the company gets paid, you go to port C for cargo Y - and so on.

Various parts of my floating home were called proper names and attitudes were left at home.

Steve,

And there was me thinking that your absence from the thread had been because you had either fallen asleep or just couldn't take the withering onslaught of air-minded banter from the cabbage crates over the briny squadron.   And all the time it was because you call things by their proper name.  Like front and back.  Or Left and Right...... Grin   

And you're being far too modest about the Red Ensign brigade being a haulage business.  When we do our job and people shoot at us, we have stuff to shoot back with - utmost admiration for those who do their stuff hauling what we need around without that benefit.

MG Mark

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: