Club Arnage
October 06, 2024, 12:35:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remembrance Day 2006  (Read 7983 times)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2006, 10:32:30 pm »

Dear All,

Peter has kindly suggested (thank you) that as I am probably the senior serving regular contributing regularly to the forum, it would be appropriate for me to start the thread on this subject.

Now that November has arrived, the clocks have gone back, a cold north wind is blowing, and darkness exceeds daylight by an uncomfortable margin, please keep a spot warm in your hearts and minds as we approach 11 o'clock on Saturday 11 November, which is Remembrance Day, with the various parades and services then held the following day. 

Men and women alike fought for our freedom during the two World Wars and, equally, there are many who have lost their lives in all the conflicts since then to the present day.  With many, many of the soldiers, sailors and airmen, numbering in their thousands, from UK's Armed Forces on duty in Iraq, Afghanistan, the Balkans and other trouble spots around the world, remembering them all is as important as ever and I ask simply that you do so. 

Please reflect in your own way, just for a couple of minutes at the time, in respect for them.   Remember events, people and times, friends, relatives, or stories that you have heard, that have touched a chord.   There are plenty such that I would rather not have to remember, but equally, they always swiftly raise another one that brings a fond inner smile.  Importantly, it is a chance to keep the faith for those whom we have lost, as they have paid the ultimate sacrifice where we have not, and to pass that faith on.

Again, I am grateful to Peter for finding this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtl5kmWrFLg
Do please watch it and ponder - there should be faces that are familiar to you from the news recently - and they have families who are bewildered and bereft.  Once you have watched it, if you haven't done so already, please buy a poppy, wear it with pride and contribute to the good work of the British Legion. 

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/content/Who-We-Are-508920.shtml 

Thank you, and please, please, let us keep politics out of the thread.  This one is for the people we remember.

MG Mark   

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
iomac
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 11:11:16 pm »

There has been a debate in the media about "how early is it acceptable to wear a poppy?" This kind of takes away from the purpose of buying a poppy - it is not a fashion accessory but a tribute that each and every one of us can wear that shows how much we appreciate the actions of those that have given their lives during the conflicts that our armed forces have been involved in.

I must apologise about the lack of punctuation but feel that the point should be made - a poppy is for remembrance not just a fashion accessory!
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 11:12:46 pm »

Thanks Mark

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 07:17:08 am »

Well done Mark (and Peter)

Very touching video.

Rusty

The Brethren Rock
MIKE C (Liverpool Boys)
CA Veteran

How f---ing fast was That!!! Time for a Low Flyer!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 09:35:46 am »

My wife and I always buy a Poppy as soon as they start. I have friends who fought in Falklands war, which has now been over shadowed by the present conflicts. But we must remeber all the young people who fight or have fought for us. The Poppy is not, as already said a fashion statment, but a mark of respect to all of them.

Mike

Roll on June and the lush grass of BN!!!
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 10:18:45 am »

This thread brings to mind the grave of an American soldier, Onais Martin, which is on the road between Nogent le Bernard and Bonnetable (the road is named after him) - North of Le Mans.  He was the only American to be killed in this area when it was liberated.  Every year, on the anniversary of his death, fresh flowers and wreathes are laid by the locals and the rest of the time, the grave is beautifully tended and looked after.  I for one, find this quite moving.
The poppy argument is, as has been said, totally spurious and reflects badly on those who bring it up in the first place.  Surely it's missing the point.  Wear your poppy with pride - whatever the date.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 10:31:53 am »

Wear your poppy with pride - whatever the date.

Well said Deb.  I wear mine in April as the 25th is ANZAC Day when we Kiwis and Aussies come together to remember those who fell at Galipoli in WWI.

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 11:23:35 am »

For anyone who maybe doesn't usually buy a poppy or particularly people who like their mobile phones you can download a poppy wallpaper from the British Legion website. It costs £1.50 with all funds raised going to the Legion.

http://tinyurl.com/y85xnb

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 01:00:46 pm »

I was the first at my station to wear a poppy, and we all now wear them. We put a min donation of £1 per poppy in, and my Police car had a big one on the grill until 1632hours yesterday, when it flew off down the road.....

I will be about on the 11th at work, and it will be a proud day for the vets.

Remember who you are and why were are still here enjoying life.

Take life by the horns and live it.
keithk
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 01:46:19 pm »

November is always a strange month for highs, lows, with Piglet’s birthday and the anniversary of my father’s death,  but I prefer to remember his birthday 24 June 1918.

My Father signed up in 1938 at Warley in Essex and was part of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) in Belgium near Spa.  When Poland was invaded some of BEF got cut off by the advancing German army and were ordered to surrender. My father’s response is not recorded but it appears that he refused and walked his platoon of men south through France to Marseilles with the assistance of the resistance who got them on a fishing boat and home to England.

He then became part of the Reconnaissance Corps and was shipped off to the dessert commanding a “Brengun” carrier on deep in the dessert reconnaissance.

Then to Italy and Anzio where he lost a dear friend a young lad from Yorkshire (Stanley Barker) who got nearly cut in half by machine gun fire and died quite soon after.   My mother stayed with his family for a while during the blitz, Dad never forgot that lad and spoke only once of his death some 60 years later crying as he told me the story. He went on to Monte Cassino and Rome about a year later the guy he signed up with (Bill Hawkins) was killed as they crossed the Rhine.

Stanley Barker was killed 22nd March 1944 aged 19,  my birthday is March 25th
I went to a camera fair some years back and had an uneasy feeling all day. It was only talking to my mother later that day, I discovered that my father had joint up at Warley barracks in Essex in 1938 and that the only buildings left were the water tower and the Gymnasium. The Camera fair was in the old gym…..   
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 02:01:28 pm by keithk » Logged
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 11:05:18 pm »

As an ex marine engineering officer in the Merchant Navy, can I add (as I always do at this time of year) that we also remember the civilians and members of non services organisations that also have lost their lives for their country during times of conflict.

These include (but not limited to), those of the British Merchant Navy, the civilian fire and police services who sadly died during the Blitz, factory workers assisting the war effort etc.

On a personal note, I was 'at sea' during the Falklands War.  The shipping company I worked for provided 3 vessels to the task force, 2 anchored amongst the frigates and destroyers in the Falklands, and one stationed at Ascension Island on 'standby'.
One of the vessels was in the adjacent anchorage to the Atlantic Conveyor when it was hit.
I've also seen first hand ship attacks by air to surface missiles in the Persian Gulf during the Iran / Iraq war.  I'm not embarrassed to say it shook me profoundly and made me think of those in earlier conflicts who had endured so much suffering and loss whilst at sea.

We will remember them ............
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 02:58:33 pm by Steve Brown » Logged

Steve East Anglian cobras

monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 02:42:22 pm »

I will remember them.
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 02:56:52 pm »

Always reminds me of being on active service (RNR) in the Mediterainean when we heard about the General Belgrano being sunk at the start of the Falklands war.  Many lives were lost that day (Argentinian) and you'd be quite suprised at how many chaps from our flotilla attended a memorial service for them the next day.

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 09:26:52 am »

About time this one hit the top of page one again.  For anyone happening to be in central London on Saturday, the two-minute silence in Trafalger Square will be ended with the traditional playing of reveille by a lone bugler, together with a flypast by 4 RAF Typhoons. 

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 10:30:20 am »

Just to add to Mark's comments, if you're unable to be in London, way not attend you local Remembrance Day service.  You'll get a very warm welcome from members of the local British Legion Branch.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: