Club Arnage
October 06, 2024, 12:33:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remembrance Day 2006  (Read 7982 times)
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 10:31:05 am »

It's a public holiday here of course.  I have never understood why it isn't in GB too.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 11:21:53 am »

Good idea. There has been a campaigne over the last few years for more bank holidays to bring us into line with the rest of Europe. What better reason than Rememberence Day. A perfect date, bang in the middle of August bank holiday and Christmas.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 01:05:01 pm »

There is something in our national Psyche that does not recognise our people that have been involved in war/conflict.  and I specifically mean all people not just the military.  In comparison to say the French, Australian/New Zealand, USA/Canada, etc.

Mark and I have exchanged a few PM's concerning the current conflict/s fighting terrorism over in the great sandpit, it would mean a great deal if we as the general public or ex-serving people joined in with the remembrance day services, it would add to the growing consciousness and help elevate remembrance day and helping those that are affected.

When you go home
Tell them of us and say
For your tomorrow
We gave our today.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 01:09:52 pm by Ferrari Spider » Logged
fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 01:24:33 pm »

having never been in the forces myself.. but both grandfathers fought and friends have served.. i always attend our memorial service at the cenotaph in st helier, and up till a few years ago was an associate member of the legion.

more people should attend as there seems to be a lack of young 'uns attending

Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 01:55:03 pm »

Most probably because of the "Dumbed down" version of history that seems to be taught in schools nowadays. If the young uns are not taught it as it was because it is not percieved to be politically correct, what hope is there for a Rememberance Day in the future.

History is exactly that, history, you can't change it. Teach it as it happened, if they dumb down the wars the same thing could happen in the future. We can't learn from our mistakes if no-one tells us we have made a mistake.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 02:07:56 pm »

hear hear!!

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 10:09:25 pm »

Most probably because of the "Dumbed down" version of history that seems to be taught in schools nowadays. If the young uns are not taught it as it was because it is not percieved to be politically correct, what hope is there for a Rememberance Day in the future.

History is exactly that, history, you can't change it. Teach it as it happened, if they dumb down the wars the same thing could happen in the future. We can't learn from our mistakes if no-one tells us we have made a mistake.

Exactly so, and because the tradition of commemorating it is not passed down the generations in quite the same way as it is in a lot of other countries, it is left to a variable curriculum to teach it.  Mind you it's interesting to see that the first entry when you type  "Remembrance Day" into google comes up with this http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/Remembrance.html - well done to a junior school in Kent!   

The barriers were being put up along the pavements in Whitehall today to prepare for the march past the Cenotaph.   And all round the country, the old, the bold and a lot of the young will be getting ready too - it's the in-betweens that often seem to be absent, too busy to take a few minutes or an hour out of a day. 

For the last couple of years it has been my privilege to take a flight of troops and lay a wreath on behalf of RAF Marham at Fakenham's Remembrance Day parade and service.  Last year, there was a large tray of turf to one side of the memorial, with about 100 or so wooden poppy crosses planted in it.  When I asked one of the WW2 veterans there what they were, he told me that he and his British Legion mates had noticed, when visiting church yards in the area, that there were a lot of Service graves marking the burials of people who were not from Fakenham, but who came from far and wide, and whose names did not appear on the traditional town war memorial or in the churches, because they did not come from Fakenham.   They felt strongly that they should be remembered too and, in league with the local schools, visited the schools, talked about Remembrance Day and arranged to go with teachers and children to visit the graves, such that each grave was visited by at least one child the day before the Remembrance Day parade where they placed a poppy cross at the grave.  Then, on Remembrance Day before the parade, the same children had gathered to place another cross in the tray at the memorial, having  written on it the name of the person whose grave they had visited.  They then stayed and watched the parade.   Touched me deeply to say the least.   

And Peter is right - whatever the rights and wrongs of what has happened or is happening out in the world at large, please do remember that in the Armed Forces personnel can't "put it to a vote" or say "nah, don't fancy that".  We do what we do as best we can and, believe me, it means a great deal to know that we are supported - and a good way is for the "in-between" ages to be somewhere appropriate for a short time to show that support on Saturday or Sunday.     

MG Mark   
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 10:13:41 pm by mgmark » Logged

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
rcutler
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 10:35:50 pm »

About time this one hit the top of page one again.  For anyone happening to be in central London on Saturday, the two-minute silence in Trafalger Square will be ended with the traditional playing of reveille by a lone bugler, together with a flypast by 4 RAF Typhoons. 

MG Mark

I shall be working in London this saturday so will get up to the roof terrace to do my part.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: